Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I have just had my second opinion with Mayo, They meet tomorrow to go over my results from the first surgeon...I am looking at a likely mandibulotomy and neck resection...They will tell me if they think I should have radiation as well...I am not really sure...I have come to terms with the operation and the fact that this will not be a fun time...I have a question to any of you who have had this procedure done...The Surgeon at Mayo told me that when the cut out the soft palate that I will have a hole in my soft palate and when I drink it will come out of my nose...The other surgeon was going to do the cutting and the flap procedure at once...One operation and done...

The Mayo doctor suggested that later they will go in and close it up...My 1st surgeon said if they just use the robot, they wouldn't be able to repair my soft palate....The Mayo doctor said they would "take care of that later...I don't like the sound of that...I would rather do it all at once...What do you all think? I don't want to be unreasonable but, I think that if I can just suffer one operation, I will be better off. Any help would be appreciated...SCC Tonsil and soft palate T2N1MO

SCC Left Tonsil, Soft Palate. T2N1MO Discovered on June 26th, 2011 Non-Smoker always, Non Drinker...No red meat, No fast food...Exercise regualarly, Sand Volleyball 3 times a week...Nothing but water to drink...
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Well first welcome to.OCF, glad you found us sorry you had to!

Every case is going to be different so where I've had a mandiblectomy I didn't have any soft palate work done. Also understand that the Mayo Clinic is ranked #4 in the country in Ear Nose & Throat , its hard to get a better opinion then that program or better care.

The only advice I can give is to choose the absolute BEST care available to you, after that there's nothing else you can control except for attitude and nutrition. So unless you are getting an opinion from Hopkins, Mass Gen, or MDAnderson I would stick w the Mayo.

Good luck

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I can't offer an answer but, welcome and best of luck to you.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.

hi i am dr and a maxillofacial surgeon, working as Assistant professor in King Edward MEdical UNiversity, here in Pakistan oral cancer have high ratio and the numbebr of Patientws are increasing day by day. we are operating them at our best, i need a suggestion as i also want to make some association here in favour of our poor patients.

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I agree... I sounds like a hard decision - the robot will likely be more accurate and save more tissue, but one operation would likely be best. I would probably go with the one operation - personally - as long as the dr. Performing the surgery was top notch. Good luck!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
OP Offline

Thankyou all for your posting...I am really leaning toward the one operation...I saw the link of the TORS and I saw that the burned it off...I don't know if that was what my surgeon was saying when he said that if you use the robot, you can't reconstruct the palate...I am not sure if you burn the skin, it can be reconstructed...There are so many things I don't know about this Cancer...It is so overwhelming and daunting...I want to be as informed as I can be. However, I just don't know what I don't know...That is why I gleen as much info as I can from you all...Thanks for the support and good wishes, I think I need all I can get...

SCC Left Tonsil, Soft Palate. T2N1MO Discovered on June 26th, 2011 Non-Smoker always, Non Drinker...No red meat, No fast food...Exercise regualarly, Sand Volleyball 3 times a week...Nothing but water to drink...
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

You have a big decision to make and I applaud you for doing the research and getting second opinions in order to make an informed decision.

But sometimes the research is better served if you use it to ask the right questions of the right people. Ask the folks at Mayo why they want to do it in two stages, what it will mean whilst you have the hole in your palate, what they plan to do to help you through this period, how long you will be "holey" and what are advantages the of doing it this way(other than them getting to play with their new toy)? Make sure you ask about differences long term with functionality as this is a biggie that often takes a back seat to the immediate issues and fears.

I have no idea, but potentially you may have "long term gain for short term pain". Or is it the other way around ....

Good luck with whatever you decide

Karen

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hello, There are not a lot of people on here that have had work done on the upper palette. It sucks having a hole up there but if they are taking any bone or teeth eith it there are prosthetics that can help cover up the hole temporarily. Just based on my experience I would do two surgeries. I know why you would rather do one and get it over with but doing them one at a time allows your body to heal after your first so that they can make due everything is gone before they go in a repair with good tissue.

Brandy

31 at dx 9/06
SCC T4N0M0 with bone invasion upper maxillary
Surgery 10/06
CT's clear for 2 years
2nd recurrence - Laser surgery 1/09 dx
Tumor board - No surgery to invasive for QOL
35 IMRT 3/30/09 Completed 5/15/09
8 tx Erbitux 3/24/09 Completed 5/6/09
HBO for ORN March & April 2010
Fibula flap 5/10
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Mayo is one of the best in the country for this type of cancer....if you really feel you want to go with another doc's opinion, I would truly think about that and hard.

I would have gone to the Mayo here if I could have, but I would at least research the other docs credentials...like how many of these surgeries they have done, and the outcomes of those(rate of infections and success rates of the surgery they have done)

If after looking at all that, you still choose to go that route, then ok. Best of luck!

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics