Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#138025 08-12-2011 05:51 PM
OP Offline

Hi, My name is Cameron and I am a 25 year old student. I recently in this past new years quit using dipping tobacco and have been clean ever since (with one exception). My two cousins were both recently diagnosed with oral cancer and were both avid users of tobacco. Within the past week or so I have a developed a pain in my jaw and sometimes in my cheek. the pain is slight and is more of a pressure. I have been routinely checking my mouth for sore and have found a few in which I have bitten my lip but appear to be healing fine. I did however have a blister on the inside of my mouth which i popped with my finger trying to find out what it was and there seems to be some bruising on the inside of my cheek.

my problem is that I do not have health insurance and wanted to know if I should wait til I see anymore symptoms to go and see a doctor.
Thank you
-Cameron

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Cameron,

Welcome to OCF, glad you found us and really glad you've stopped dipping...it does cause cancer you know smile Oral cancer isn't genetic so there isn't a family connection there.

The two main causes for OC is HPV and tobacco usage. Now I'm assuming you are the typical 25 year old student and have had more then 5-6 sex partners in your time so odds are you have more then just tobacco usage as a risk factor. In any case you have risk factors and they are reason to be cautious with anything going on in your mouth.

Typical thinking for most males is with either side of their pants, crotch or wallet. Both have a tendency to get us into trouble. If you have OC putting it off due to fear of expense will kill you. I'm sure you don't have a price tag on your life...being a bright young student and all. Schedule an appt with an Ear Nose & Throat Dr and have him check you out, spell out your concerns. Typically at your age tobacco won't be the cause, although it could be, more then likely HPV.

In my opinion there isn't a price for peace of mind and if caught early not only will it be less expensive but your odds of surviving it are better too.

That's all for todays lesson folks...the professor has left the building!

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
OP Offline

thanks a lot, I really do appreciate it. would you recommend I make an emergency appointment at a dental office, a Otolaryngology, or both.
thanks
Cameron

Otolaryngology is an Ear Nose & Throat Dr. They would be who a dentist would refer you to for a biopsy and treatment etc...

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics