Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi, Venkat
In addition to the the liquid nutrition (which my husband hated), I made him protein shakes with whey power, Carnation Breakfast Essential powder, and various milks - rice milk, soy milk and cows milk. Typically, I would do dairy-based in the morning, then call him at work and nag him to drink a couple of Ensures, and then soy-based at night. I also added fruit to the mix - peaches were the easiest at first, then pears, prune juice and bananas for variety. We also had some monumental failures, but that's the way it goes. My guess is that Eshwar has made some very good suggestions - the Ghee in particular with help with the calories.
Now - about your mom. If she is able to make something you can swallow to keep you going, is will make her feel happy. Make sure that you give her enough information that she can help you; try to get across to her, though, that your tolerance for various foods will changing for a while, and sometimes things just don't work.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi there venkat! Sorry you are in the position that you have to be here but if you have this disease then this is a great place for support and advice - and everyone here has given you great suggestions. Congrats on being a 3rd of the way through treatments. It does get harder but you'll get through it fine. Do see if you can get the magic mouthwash where you are. It's a combination of numbing medications. It helps during eating - I used it in combination with my pain medication for about a week and a bit at the end of my treatments to help me get through it. The mouth sores are all part of the process... The whitish stuff might be thrush - ask your doctor - if it is cut down on the sugar you are taking in (not sure if you are eating sugar or not but it can have an impact on thrush). And yes the drool will eventually be replaced by dry mouth. Most of the time I'm okay -(I'm 3 months out) but if I talk a lot im blessed with sahara mouth! But for now just do the rinses religiously!
Also exercise your jaw as much as possible! I used to manually stretch it (make sure your hands are clean) and I was told this by my naturopalth - if your mouth isn't too sore and too tight (which it probably is at the point) - put on some clean gloves - take two fingers and if you can massage the muscle at the back of your jaw where your teeth meet - that should help with the trismus - it apparently helps relax the muscles- keep stretching though - all the muscles actually - it's important during the first year post op - because radiated tissue - can lead to fibrosis - helping to return blood flow to the area through massage and exercise (neck too) can help with this. it may not completely prevent it but it can certainly minimize it. You may not feel up to doing all this now, but if you can - do.

Good luck you are doing well... Just a few more weeks to go!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
venkat Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks David for informative reply.

[quote=David2]Many of us myself included survived for months on various commercial brands of liquid nutrition - things like Ensure and Boost and their clones here in the States. Are these readily available to you? I found them indispensable and even now more than 2 years out still use them regularly.[/quote]

Yes, I am taking Prosure as a supplement thrice a day. Otherwise, I am on the mashed Indian diet and even mashed boiled eggs.

[quote=David2]
As others have written, the mucositis will eventually go away. It's unpleasant and keeps you awake at night, I know. But hang in there![/quote]
Good to know this goes away. Baking soda + salt water rinse seems to be helping a lot keeping mouth neutralized.

[quote=David2]
Ditto for the dry mouth that inevitably follows. That one generally takes longer to abate, but there are sprays and gels and things to help. Plus just keep water handy at all times.
[/quote]

Yet to receive the God's gift of dry mouth, but in certain sense, I did experience it after the cisplation chemo.

[quote=David2]
I was prescribed viscous lidocaine during RT to help numb the sores in my mouth so I could drink. I had a lot of those so it was only marginally successful. Maybe you'll get off with a lighter sentence! Anyway, you might ask your doctor about it.
[/quote]
Fortunately, I am able to drink liquids or gulp mashed food without too much discomfort till now. Yes, some other doctor whom I know personally (not the one treating) has prescribed Viscous Lidocaine and suggested to take only when the throat hurts while taking food. Have not taken yet.

[quote=David2]
Try and sleep as much as possible. I could barely do anything but during RT and I didn't have chemo.
[/quote]
Sleeping with sticky saliva depositing in throat is the most irritating of all my experiences. A continuous urge to spit it out to avoid coughing keeps me awake. Otherwise, when that sticky thing becomes really sticky, then the cough abates and I get to sleep some time. Dont know how much. Doctor has prescribed sleeping pills recently atleast for the duration of remaining 2 weeks.

- Age 34 at DX 4th June 2011, Non-smoker, Non-alcoholic
- SCC on lateral right border of tongue, T1-N0,
- Surgery done to remove tumor on tongue
- RND to remove 9 lymph nodes, no MET(s)
- 3 weekly cycles of 50 mg cisplation chemo
- IMRT RAD 30 exposures, still 11 more to go
venkat Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Maria,
It is very encouraging to see many Caregivers contributing to this forum. Thanks Maria for following up with my post.

[quote=Maria]My guess is that Eshwar has made some very good suggestions - the Ghee in particular with help with the calories.[/quote]
I agree, Eshwar's suggestions are really great.

[quote=Maria]
Now - about your mom. If she is able to make something you can swallow to keep you going, is will make her feel happy. Make sure that you give her enough information that she can help you; try to get across to her, though, that your tolerance for various foods will changing for a while, and sometimes things just don't work. [/quote]
Yes, to a major extent she judges on her own. But also has been listening to what I say.

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

sorry to read you have to be here, but glad you found it.

My doc told me I was genetically predisposed as well, but I did smoke on and off for 7 years, total of 4...but they say that didn't cause it...I don't believe that, lol.

I am glad you are able to still tolerate eating and drinking! That's great. I wasn't able to after my 4th treatment.

Hopefully you can continue to do this throughout your whole treatment!

I am surprised they didn't tell you to do mouth stretches before and during your treatment. Mine and most that I have heard of give you stretches and advise you start them before going to treatment and continue them throughout.

The one that was most effective for me was open mouth as big as i can and hold it there to the count of 5, and repeat about 10 times and do that at least 3 times a day, but I did it probably 5 or more times a day, and really don't have much of an issue opening my mouth anymore.

I am a year out of radiation...still can't tolerate acidic or spicy food and still have somewhat thicker saliva, and dry mouth when i wake up.

Everyone experiences different things...so my results may not be the same for you.

As for the tooth issue....my dentists and oral surgeons do whatever they can to keep me from losing or having to have a tooth pulled, and they said it will be like that for the rest of my life. They said if I do end up losing one or have to have one pulled, I will more then likely have to endure hyperbaric oxygen treatments to help me heal because radiation attacks the blood vessels in your jaw, which make healing a lot harder if not impossible.

Hope the rest of your treatment comes quickly and with no more complications and you are able to continue eating and drinking throughout!

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010

Hi, Venkat
just checking up on you!
Maria

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Just checking in to see how you are doing? This is no easy treatment.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN
Baby girl born 11-30-12
venkat Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=Maria]Hi, Venkat
just checking up on you!
Maria [/quote]

Hi Maria, I just finished my final radiation session today. Have managed to get through 30 fractions finally. Now I am looking forward for a little bit of recovery so that...
1. I get sleep, which essentially is a problem with sticky yellow saliva filling up my throat and an urge to cough and spit it up. Not sure how much time this would take to subside.

2. My cisplatin chemo induced acid reflux does not let me sleep for atleast 2 hours after food.

3. Just need a fresh mouth ..it is been nearly 3 months now that mouth feels so toilety pungent...surgery, chemo, RAD...too many treatments for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm tumor.

Hope in a months time, I will be a little better than what I am now.

venkat Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=walknlite]Just checking in to see how you are doing? This is no easy treatment.[/quote]

Hi, sometimes I just get so irritated with the doctors around, though in hindsight they are doing a good job of treating me. But today I finished my last radiation session and this is the end of current treatment.

Some questions...not sure if you could answer...
1. What would be a good alcohol free mouthwash. This yellowish plauqe thing is difficult to clear without a decent mouthwash. I stay in India, but can get some products from US courtesy my friends. One helped me with Therabite.

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Venkat, good to hear from you. Now since your treatment is over, try Papaya (Juice) to get rid of thick saliva. Continue to gargle and drink plenty of water.

You can now try Extra Virgin Olive oil. Just swish 2 tsp and spit. It will help you lubricate your mouth.

Father; 67 yrs; RIP: 2012/05/26

TX:SCC pT2N1M0G2;Glossectomy+SND+CCRT(59.3Gy+6xCis.)[2009]
TX:Nodal Mets; 3xDCF[2011/05/05]
TX: RND + PMMC Flap[2011/07/11]
DX:SCC PNI+ECE
TX:Re-RT 60Gy[2011/09/21]
TX:Gefitinib 250mg[2011/12/18]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311