Next Thread
Print Thread
#1377 07-01-2003 05:51 AM
fr mike Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hello,

I had my first visit with the doctor today since recieving my diagnosis and being referred. It went well. He did do a physical exam of my next and shoulders and said he didn't notice anything unual, but he did say that a CT would be a better indicator of things. The doctor has asked me to get a few CT scans done and to consult with an ENT surgeon and a radiologist from thier group. Those appointments are set up. Following them, the three doctors will meet and review the tests and develop a treatment plan that would be best for me.

It was indicated to me that radiation might be the prefered treatment, possibly with chemotherapy. Surgery will be considered if needed. I was told I should expect 6 to 8 weeks of treatments and that it could be rough at times.

All things considered the doctor did say he can't answer why at my age (35) and not having been a smoker or drinker that I have this but that those factors will help in my recovery.

I guess I should have said this first. The greatest thing I've heard since I heard the words "you have cancer" was also the ver first thing this doctor said to me: "you can be cured"

I'll keep everyone posted. And thanks to those who have already offered me thier help and encouragement.

Peace,

Fr. Mike

Fr. Mike
SCC on the base of tongue, right side. T2 N1 M0. July 25, 2003 partial (40%) glossectomy, forearm flap reconstruction, right side neck disection.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hang in there Fr. Mike. I finished radiation and chemo a few months ago and I made it -so will you. And it always helps to have God on your side. Truly one third of Jesus' ministry on earth was healing the sick. It's too bad that most of the churches blow that off today. I will pray for your total healing and the wisdom of your health care professionals.

We are here for any questions that you may have about the little things that come up during treatment.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Hi Fr. Mike..glad you got some good news. I am 8 yrs in remission for SSC of the base of tongue with mets to the lymph nodes bilaterally.. and I went with chemo and radiation instead of surgery first. I think it depends on your dr.. what they will do. That is from observing the posts here. If you do chemo first.. they will attempt to shrink as much as the tumor as they can.. until it dosn't shrink anymore and then they will do radiation. If you do inpatient chemo.. I recommend that you ask them to give you something to sleep. Alot of people will try and come to visit and it will wear you out. If you sleep.. it makes it much easier for you! They have drugs to help with the nausea.. and I don't know if they talked to you about having a port a cath.. but I would recommend that first.. It will really help with this part of your journey. Let me know if you need me to explain that more.. Then for radiation, I also think a feeding tube is essential to anyone who had radiaton to their tongue. I am sure lots of people here can help you with that.. I refused to get one as I thought I wouldn't need it and I lost so much weight.. it took years to get it back. If I had a feeding tube, I would have been at least able to aleviate alot of problems.. even tho I know it sounds real scary. I am sure praying for you.. I too believe in the power of prayer. Try picking up Bernie Siegals book Love, Medicine and Miracles.. it is a really good book about the power of positive thinking. You will get thru this.. there are alot of people here who have been thru it and seems like there isn't anything they haven't faced.. and now are willing to share with others. YOU CAN DO THIS! Feel free to ask me anything.. no one knows why non smokers or non drinkers get this at an early age. Why isn't really as important as getting ready to do battle. You have to really use your mind now.. and stay as positive as you can. Do you have someone who can drive you to treatments and help you thru this? Beth

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23