Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Alex, put your time in the school work and don't be worrying about Cancer . Remember, it isn't anything until you are biopsied and told it is. You are too young yet to worry like this. Gert a good looking lady, that is if you don't have one already, and she will make your mind go to other things to have thoughts about. Be safe and enjoy.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Alex - You've already done so many good things to be in control of your health. And for what you have done for our country, a great big THANK YOU! You've gotten lots of good advice above and it won't be long now until your appointment with the ENT. DO stop by the therapist and accept whatever help is available. You certainly deserve to be treated well. Your health is important. Whatever the outcome is, IF it is cancer, you will be in control and can start fighting it and will feel better. There are so many compassionate and knowledgeable people here, ready to help. The waiting and the "what ifs" can get pretty bad. What helped me at times when I was so worried about my son was to try and give myself a time limit, like maybe 4-5 minutes to think about the negative and then switch to all the things that could go Right! - Instead of what could go wrong. Sometimes it is a moment to moment thing. Keeping busy really helps to keep your mind off the negative stuff. Hope your appointment goes well. Let us know what happens.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

AlexG83 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you, everyone, for all the support and replies! Reading your words of advice and encouragement is helping me keep a sense of proper perspective, and I am deeply appreciative of that.

I'll keep you all updated!

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Alex,
You got a lot of good advice. The only thing I would add is, regarding how you said at first the place on your retromolar pad, I think it was, is that cancer is not as a rule bilateral, at least at the same time. (lymph nodes might be an exception) Docs often check this out when you have something on one side--does it match the other side. Usually if you see something on one side and it matches something on the other side in the same area, that is a good sign not to worry. Now you had one biopsied, but not the other, don't know what the difference was, so maybe they were different. But that's my tip. Congrats on quitting the chewing, now throw away all your cigarettes.
Best,
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Alex,

Thank you for what you have done to serve all of us. You are doing the right things for your health no matter what the outcome. Stay positive, you are strong. You have gotten sober and WILL quit smoking both of which will feel wonderful. My husband has been sober for 27 years and is not a drug and alcohol counselor so that he can give back. We are dealing with cancer now and he is doing very well. The ENT found it and is going for "cure". We are optimistic. You might not even have to get this far but I have found everyone on this site to be completely amazing and it has helped me. Breathe and try to stay busy. You will be fine no matter what.
Ellen

caregiver for husband
diagnosed with oral cancer May 2011 after 6 mo
node lft side and several in jaw involved
Base of Tongue Stage IVA
7 weeks radiation
Cisplatin-3 chemos (beginning,middle,end) IntraV administration

oops now a drug and alcohol counselor. I wrote not, sorry. It is late.

caregiver for husband
diagnosed with oral cancer May 2011 after 6 mo
node lft side and several in jaw involved
Base of Tongue Stage IVA
7 weeks radiation
Cisplatin-3 chemos (beginning,middle,end) IntraV administration
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Alex, please listen to Christine, if anyone can be there for you, she can. Funny, but since my hubby was diagnosed, I freak out at any ulcer, etc in my mouth. I check my boobs and lymph nodes once a month for lumps. I am a tooth grinder, so scar my cheeks every night. Thats all I can do for me - be aware of signs. Check for signs. Don't freak out at everything. 1/2 the time it's nothing. If is the operative word that Christine uses. Eshwar is righ - chill & relax.....we are all here for you anyway....good you have stopped smoking, but wondering what makes you think you have oral cancer? - ps..don't know what 'dipping' is??.....

Jeanna
Wife/Carer of Rod, 56, Dx 5/3/09, SCC Oropharnyx T4 N2, End Tx 28th 07/09, 7wks Rad, 3 Cisplatin, primary tonsil, 4cm Lymph right of neck, 1cm left, in jaw & soft palate & base of tongue. Peg 06/09. CT & PET scans 02/11 - NED. Dentures 20/09/11, PEG out 28/10/11.
AlexG83 Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, just got back from the ENT. He told me, in no uncertain terms, to stop worrying and fixating on my mouth.

Although I am not completely satisfied (nothing was biopsied, on the grounds of "there is nothing that needs to be biopsied"), I will accept the fact that this makes two separate health care professionals who have told me the same thing, and that I should probably take their advice.

I will take this "scare" as a lesson, and continue to stay off tobacco (still going strong on the no smoking). Thank you to everyone who took the time to share their thoughts, support, advice, and personal experiences with me. It meant (and means) a great deal to me. Without your help, I would have been a complete nervous wreck by today.

Jeanna - "dip" and "dipping" refers to smokeless tobacco and the act of using it, respectively. Now that I've been free of that particular habit for an appreciable length of time, I'm once again realizing how disgusting it is. Makes me wonder what I was thinking when I started doing it. I hope I will come to feel the same way about smoking!

- Alex

Alex: First off,thank you for your service to our country - that alone shows that you are a strong person.
Second: Quit the cigarettes..... I was a 40 year smoker so I know how hard it is to quit. Unfortunately I didn't quit until I got diagnosed. Consider this a sign from above that the ENT saw nothing and use it as a tool to help you quit for good ! Good Luck!

DX 12/6/10 of T3 SCC Tongue.
Surgery 1/3/11 was hemigloss & forearm free flap, midline mandibulectomy, Neck Disection-All nodes clear.
Ended rads 5/11/11. Taste buds back to about 80%. PEG removed 4/5/12, experimenting eating real food again. If I can do this, so can you !! Stay Strong.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hey there...congrats on the good news. I know how scared you can get when you smoke and you know what that can do. But remember...it doesn't always do that, smile So for now, you are lucky!

I would advise to continue to get regular checkups with your dentist and go from there.

I would stop worrying yourself though. You don't need to stop checking, checking is ok...to an extent.

Also another good thing to remember....if you get a sore in your mouth...wait it out a bit. If it lasts 2 - 4 weeks, then talk with your dentist about it. If you aren't satisfied with their answer, try to see an ent or oral surgeon for a different opinion.

I was toyed with for 5 months before they finally did the biopsy and discovered it was cancer. They kept telling me I was too young and just chewing on my tongue when I slept due to stress. Granted...neither my normal dentist nor the first oral surgeon had ever had much dealings with cancer in such a young patient, but still...no excuse!

Cancer can be hard to detect, so just keep your eyes open and keep getting normal checkups!

And thanks for your years of service. It has to be hard to go through what you did and then try to readjust to "normal" life. I worked at a Vets "nursing" home, and many of them had PTSD or drinking/drug problems.

I would like to congratulate you on your sobriety and you ability to stay away from dip and smokes. It's a hard thing to kick, but hopefully this "scare" will help you stay away for good. I know when my sore first showed up on my tongue, that was my last cig and will never go back! So keep up the great work!

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users