Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

to make a long story short, FIL finished CHEMO (erbutux) and 39 rads about 1 month ago...he is due for his POST OP PET SCAN in one week...we desperatly need this scan as we do not know what direction to turn too...my FIL is 59, retired and has insurance from his retirement (it has been great!!!)

he used up all 60 days of his nursing care a few months ago while going thru treatment..he was released from hospital yesterday after 2 1/2 weeks...he went in he has PNEUMONIA and now has MRSA...

AS for the cancer....we was told from start he is INCURABLE but hopefully treatable...he weighs about 110 pounds, feeding tube and TRACH..he has been on tough cookie to say the least....

well the hospital was ready to discharge him and he literally has nowhere to go, he requires 24 care at this time, I have 4 small kids and my husband works and we are all the family he has....

he went to a nursing home yesterday and we literally gave them all the $ he had $1800 to pay for 11 days of care....once we get the pet scan we will get "all our answers" as the encologist says..whether to continue Erbitux or not.....

MEDICARE----------I just cannot believe that he worked 32 yrs many times 7 days a week at a factory and now he has to wait 24 months for MEDICARE? he just turned 59 he was approved in a day for SS disabilty (they backdated it to JANUARY 2011) when he was diagnosed..........

but now he has to wait 24 months that he probably does not have? so in 11 days he literally will have nowhere to go and it makes me sick..I wish the compassion allowance would be for medicare as well because that would give him another 100 days of care.....are there any other options anyone can think of? Social worker at hospital just says MEDICAID but he does get a lot of $ each month.....2200 (before tax/insurance) for pension and 2300 SSD...and we are afraid he would be denied MEDICAID because looking back at his records. he would leave 400 in the bank for bills and take 1000 out each month and live on that and who knows what he did w that $ and people said MEDICAID will deny him if there is no receipt of what he did with his money?

really confused

FIL DX JAN 29, 2011
stage 4 Squamous cell carcinoma
inoperable due to his overall health.
started treatment: March 2011.
feeding tube and TRACH
finished 39 radiations and weekly chemos JUNE..
June- 3 weeks in hospital for pneumonia
July-pet scan showed slightly better
OCT- hospice care, cancer all thru body

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I'll share my thoughts for what they are worth.

Never "not" try for something because someone tells you that you can't. Looking at the figures you've posted he won't qualify for Medicaid, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Generally the representatives will even help you try to qualify and give you pointers on how do it, they are the experts you know. Get the facts from the source not from "other" people as generally people don't have all the facts and speak out of ignorance. Just ask me I'm the most ignorant person I know smile

As far as everything else...take it one step at a time and breath, don't let it overwhelm you. What I found is that there is always a way if you look for it.

Bon Chance!

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
OP Offline

thanks for the help Eric I really appreciate it and here is to finding a way smile We will get thru this somehow smile

FIL DX JAN 29, 2011
stage 4 Squamous cell carcinoma
inoperable due to his overall health.
started treatment: March 2011.
feeding tube and TRACH
finished 39 radiations and weekly chemos JUNE..
June- 3 weeks in hospital for pneumonia
July-pet scan showed slightly better
OCT- hospice care, cancer all thru body

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37