Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi all, first of all I just want to say that I am thankful that such a forum exists that allows us to come together and give each other support. I am really humbled by the courage shown by the members here and I realise I really have alot of ball-growing to do.

I hope there is someone who can help me. I have been to several doctors regarding my swollen tongue, which I have had for months already but the doctors were unable to help, some of them dismissive even. I have had a CT scan to check on it but it came back clean. I also want to highlight that I've had a long-running infected wisdom tooth that I've finally taken out this April. I thought that might have been the cause of the swollen tongue but nothing has changed. In fact, I might say that it has gotten worst.

I've googled for all sorts of possible causes, blocked salivary glands, vitamin b deficiency, oral infection... I fear that it could be something much more serious. At the moment, I am thinking about seeking second opinion but I want to ask what do you guys think? could this be an early symptom of something far serious?

thank you

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Go for a second opinion! Drs. Are not the end all and be all - they do make mistakes - because you are 20 they can be dismissive if oral cancer because historically it's a smokers and drinkers diagnosis and usually found in men over 40 - we have several young people here now and the face of oral cancer is changing! There are a few women here from 20 on up who do not smoke, don't or rarely drink and are HPV - (HPV + is associated with some tonsil, and base of cancers) so theres a new generation.

Do you have a sore anywhere on it? Ct scans don't always pick up microscopic cancers, and the results are only as good as the radiologist reading Them. So get a second opinion and keep pushing until you get an answer. It's likely not cancer but maybe related to your infection... Perhaps it never healed properly? But just to be on the safe side.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hey mate,

I was also 20 when I should have been diagnosed. I went to the doctors 3 or 4 times over a period of months before i was sent for a biopsy. But I had an 'ulcer' or a 'sore' on my tongue. By the sounds of yours you don't, and if your Ct came back clear that's a good sign. If it is something it's still microscopic, but there's a chance it's nothing. My first pet scan showed activity in my tongue and some of my glands in my neck. I'd definitely get the second opinion if you're worried.

Good luck!

Dave

21 @ diagnosis. Tongue cancer(SCC) non smoker,HPV negative. 11 hour Surgery (30+ glands removed-left side neck dissection, 'jaw split' for 'access'-left side tongue dissection, graft & artery from left thigh for re-construction of tongue.44 rad t'ments.4x cisplatin.no peg.Clear PET scan 12/5/2011!
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

hi all.

i ignored my condition for quite a while but today after some self-exam i realise my oropharnyx and 3/4 of my tongue is numb. I can't even feel my swallow anymore. My tongue is deformed when stiff them up. I probably will check myself into the hospital soon.

I am only 20 years old and I am absolutely distraught

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I understand your worry completely! Get looked at by a ccc (comprehensive cancer center) and do not give up until you get a definitive answer !

Last edited by Cheryld; 08-24-2011 06:56 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

If you don't have a ccc in the uk or near you, maybe start with a ENT or Oral surgeon, or dentist if you need to get the referral to the ENT or Oral surgeon.
When My cancer showed up, it was super painful, but I am not saying it can't have a numbing effect, depending on where it is, it may have that. Just make sure you get checked out. best of luck!

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

hi all. thank you for the advice. I am absolutely in shock at the moment but I will head to the dentist later. I have been thinking about my dreams and aspirations and I can't believe that it may all just be over.

I think I've had a good run, I've always treated people with politness and sincerity but I will always regret the petty issues that led me to fall out with one or two of my friends. And the lifetime regret that I never got to ask my first crush out.

I thank all of you for the good lucks and advice, reading through the forums I realise we all have so much living to do, so much life to fight for. It's a truly wonderful thing to be alive. I ignored a white-ish irregular ulcer on my tongue last year, little did i know that it would come to this.

I am really shattered, I think I could be crumbling I don't know but I will let you guys know what happens. Thank you for reading and I will be hoping the best for you guys as well, and really glad to see the clear pet scans at your signatures, it gives me hope.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Please don't sound like it's over. It's not ... You're young, you're - for the most part - healthy you can fight this. Do not let the Drs blow you off, though, this cancer can be aggressive, fight it aggressively. there are a few people your age here so it can happen. I'm not saying it's cancer - it could be something else, but you need to know for sure ASAP.

And if you give up before you start you'll get nowhere. Please go see an ENT dr. Immediately. Hugs!

It is NOT over. And it's not cancer until a biopsy says it is. Good advice above. You and your health are important so do get yourself to an ENT (Ear, Nose & Throat) or Oral surgeon. THe sooner you get yourself into the fight mode, the sooner you will start feeling better. Tell the doctor or doctor's office that it is very important and that you want an appointment as soon as possible. Don't let them put you off. My son put things off way too long, but he's fine now and doing great!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Yes, get it checked out, and ask if they can fit you in. Have an older relative call for you if you get put off by the appoinment scheduler.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics