Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

It's been awhile since I've been on these boards.....

About 5 years ago I completed treatment for Stage 1 squamous cell carcinoma on the right side of my tongue. I completed 6 weeks of radiation after my surgery. I am cancer free. I was 34 when diagnosed....4 months after my wedding. I don't smoke, am a social drinker, don't chew but my mother was diagnosed with tongue cancer in the 80's and passed away a year after diagnosis.

However, the treatment didn't go without a price for me. I was wondering what other experiences are out there. I have been on/off lortab/norco for 5 years for nerve damage pain on my tongue and jaw due to radiation. My energy levels never really went back to where they were. I still function fine, work and have a 22 month old that keeps me busy.

Do you still deal with pain? what do you you? Is your energy back?[/color]

Age 44. Diagnosed at 34 (2006) with T1N0 SCC tongue on right side. Neck dissed & 6 weeks Radiation. 30% tongue removed. Never smoked;
2nd recurrence 1/2013 on left side. Surgery to remove 2/2013 forearm flap/neck dissec T1N0; brachytherapy 4/2013;
3rd recurrence 11/2015 mandibulectomy for jaw bone cancer Stage IV/no lymph node involvement
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Lola congratulations on being 5 years out!!! I wish I were you - as it is I am only 6 weeks post rads!!! Energy wise maybe you need thyroid meds - did they check your levels prior to treatment even if it's within the norm maybe it not your normal.... Sorry about the pain - I'm sure I'll have some of the same issues at some point... but to be where you ate now is great. Take care!!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Lola,

Sadly neuropathic pain usually doesn't respond well with standard pain treatments so opaite pain medications probably aren't the best solution. They also may be what's causing the fatigue...it's a side effect from the hydrocodone that's in lortab/norco.

Hydro works by depressing the central nervous system which slows the cardiovascular system...sometime dangerously so which is why they don't recommend alcohol while taking it as it can kill you. The lower heartrate and breathing will cause you to be sluggish and fatigued. Overtime the opiates will cause insomnia and irregular sleep patterns which will also cause you fatigue.

For neuropathy (nerve pain) anticonvulsants (like neurontin) or even antidepressants are used to some degree of success depending on the type and severity of the nerve damage. Electrical stimulation of the nerves have also been used to block the pain signals quite effectively as well. Sadly however neuropathy can be difficult to get a handle on and can increase over time (my case) with little relief available...myself I use an herbal medication that is legal in your state to help find relief with mine as the other options didn't work for me.

As far as the fatigue goes there can be several causes for it but I'd look to the opiates first as it's a major side effect of them. PTSD from the cancer experience could be the culprit or it could be CRF (cancer related fatigue) or thyroid issues which there have been cases where it took years to recover from. It's a tricky thing and I've struggled with both fatigue and nerve pain since tx/surgery was over and am just now getting to a point through exercise/activity levels where I feel I'm not completely void of energy 3.5 years out.

Anyway, keep your chin up

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 06-16-2011 10:02 PM.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Dear Lola,

Congratulations on 5 years and on the birth of your baby!

I truly wish that you could enjoy being cancer-free without the constant reminders that you had cancer but don't have it anymore. It saddens me that you are in pain and your energy hasn't completely returned. I hope you are able to get some relief. Being back on the forum can only help with getting good ideas and answers to your questions.

Best of luck and congratulations on your very full and busy life!

Sandy

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.

Lola, you've gotten great advice here and I'm sorry you're going through such a mess. If I were a betting person I'd put my money on a hypothyroid condition for the fatigue. Let us know what they find, ok?

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
OP Offline

Thanks everyone...I suspected hypothyroid as well. I am thinking even a small change even if within normal would have an affect on me. And I also think the opiates had something to do with it. I have only been off them (again) for about 2 weeks.

I am going to the doctor on July 8 for regular physical. I am going to request to get it tested again. I only had it tested once (that I recall) and that was about 2.5 years ago.

Yes, I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Age 44. Diagnosed at 34 (2006) with T1N0 SCC tongue on right side. Neck dissed & 6 weeks Radiation. 30% tongue removed. Never smoked;
2nd recurrence 1/2013 on left side. Surgery to remove 2/2013 forearm flap/neck dissec T1N0; brachytherapy 4/2013;
3rd recurrence 11/2015 mandibulectomy for jaw bone cancer Stage IV/no lymph node involvement
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Make sure they check the free T4 as well as TSH. Ask about it anyway, and hope they will. You can be low only on the free T4 and with symptoms most docs will do something about it. TSH numbers seem to be somewhat controversial, and I won't get into that, cause it's, what's the word, "fatiguing" smile

Best to you,
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members