Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
peterc Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Balakal..I do not have pain now..I was kind of fixated on the idea a sore throat can only mean one thing..

Just few questions..

For a patient, do flexible laryngoscopy feel similar to upper endoscopy?

Is it less uncomfortable compared to upper endoscopy because scope may not go all the way down?

How does it differ from hard laryngoscopy and why does that need anesthesia?

Is there anything laryngoscopy can find but an upper endoscopy cannot? Or is upper endoscopy better because of the reach?

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Peter, congrats on finding us, we are all a bunch of awesome, strong, giving, and knowedgeable people who have joined this community. That being said...I think you probably don't have throat cancer, but my advise to you is to find a good ENT Dr. who can scope you and possibly do a biopsy. I say this because of the alcohol use you described. I dont know if anyone has told you, you have learned it in the media, or just have a gut feeling, but alcohol is the worst of all the addictions. In fact... It's 1 of only 2 drug types that withdrawl from can kill you. Of coarse there is a chance that you have some type of cancer but my gut tells me it,s more like some kind of esophageal varices from drinking. Do you drink hard alcohol...the stronger the better? Me too. I would suspect that,s what it's from. Just tell the Doc about it, let them take the steps to check you out, and take the Summer without booze. I suspect you will get fantastic news along with a clear head and a great Summer. You watch... This will be "the Summer of Peter"... Keep us posted. WZ

Lump in left side neck discovered Sept 2009
Misdiagnosed & FNA inconclusive
Large lymph node removed Nov. 2010 SCC and HPV16 pos
PET pointed tonsilectomy Feb. 2011
1ml tumor left side tonsil
Rads scheduled March 14th 2011. 2X36 GY's (72)
CarboTaxol once a week X 4 or 5 starting 4/5/11
No PEG
peterc Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks MaineWill..I hope your gut feel is correct smile

You are right about the alocohol part..I had this affair with Cask strength whiskies and an eye for good scotch. Of course I do not exactly drink them neat, but still use very little water occasionally.. Luckily I never had any issue with stopping..no withdrawal symptoms etc. It is just that I never felt I was going over the limit..Anyway, not drinking for the last 2 weeks or more and haven't had even the faintest urge to drink.. I feel fresh, that bad breath that refused go away no matter what I did to my teeth is gone and I am getting more quality sleep..I intend to stay away from alcohol for a few months and even if I drink later, I do not intend to drink more than few drams during the weekends.

Coming to the sore throat.. I went to another ENT and he says it look mostly a case of LP reflux. He did not scope me either, just indirect one with mirror. There seem to be swelling and he is of the opinion it is better to have an Endoscopy, if I need it, after the swelling subside because upper endoscopy would be difficult with the swelling, he felt.

I have been prescribed Nexium 40 mg once a day along with an antihistamine. It has been two days since and I feel throat is improving. May be I am relieved considerably, the appetite is back too..I am told to consult the doc after two weeks.

I realize I might have to live with reflux now and am taking steps to correct my life style. In the hindsight the worse thing I did must be to eat just before I slept, just after I finished drinking alcohol. Nowadays I eat at least 2-3 hours before I sleep. I reduced or stopped all greasy food. Fruits and vegetables are back. I sleep with my upper torso up. Taking a few light meals in between. The burping and gas seem to be gone since Nexium or it could be the cumulative effect of all the changes in habits.

I intend to do an upper endoscopy sometime next month when my prescription for Nexium finish or if the swelling do not subside in 2 weeks.

Thanks for this wonderful bunch of brave people.

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Great news that you have some relief!!! Take care and be well.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users