Regular readers at OCF know I'm blunt about the snake oil nature of naturopathy, homeopathy, chelation therapy, cleansing diets, anti-cancer diets,energy healing, etc etc. Many conscientious and intelligent people do believe in them despite zero scientific proof. Here is a nice excerpt I just read
[quote]Snake Oil comes in two flavors: health and wealth. The tactics employed by charlatans to sell yoou dubious financial products are incredibly similar to the ones used to sell dubious health-care products. The claims are equally outrageous, furus are in abundance, and fear and desperation - financila or medical - can drive vulnerable people to make irrational decisions...If your are an aficionadof of dubious health care advice... here's something to make you fell better. You have a lot of intelligent company...fear of disease seems to create an emotional short circuit in the brain of otherwise intelligent people... Once you see the eerie similarities in the way your brain approaches health and money and you understand how a good proportion of the entepreneurial world is trying to exploit your vunerability, you can have a rational approach [/quote]
The rational approach is to demand: show me the data. None of the medical regimes I mentioned can pass the scientific laugh test.
Charm
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13