Hi Jenn... Welcome to the forum... I agree with everyone here hopefully you don't need to be here. I'm sorry you have this scare with so much on your plate. I can only reiterate everyone else's advice here. Have it biopsied ASAP - firstly because the longer you wait the longer you won't know - the longer it will be on your mind... And secondly - IF - it is cancer speed is always important - to treatment.

I can tell you I had a biopsy on my tongue - since that's where my cancer was - they took out two small pieces - and left a bit of a hole - for me - because it was my tongue - it did in fact hurt. They froze it - but didn't wait for the freezing to kick in (the guy was a butcher) then cut - it was sensitive after for quite some time, but then it had been painful from the start.

So it could very well be that yours may or may not hurt depending on the location. If the space is in direct contact with your denture it would very well be that you may have to do without your denture for a bit until it heals... Irritating an already open area is not a good idea.

Hopefully it is nothing - scar tissue etc... But definitely have it looked at soon.
Good luck... And do look around - educate yourself so you know what to ask when you do you see the ENT or surgeon. I supposed my one bit of advice to you might be - go see the ENT - that may expedite matters - in case you do get the "C" diagnosis. They would be readily able at thet time to talk to you about treatments, possibly do the surgery, also referrals to a cancer center - if they aren't already affiliated with one. Oral surgeons are great, but I think depending on the ENT things may move a tad faster if you are already being seen by one.

Take care and try not to worry - as many have told you - it's not cancer u til a biopsy says it is.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan