Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1334 06-24-2003 11:56 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi to All, Just thought I'd drop a note to say that my husband John was set for a follow-up appointment today (6/24) with his oral surgeon - well, the weirdest, freak-accident happened this morning. John stopped at a famous fast-food restaurant to get some breakfast....he stopped in ...got the food....walks to the car, and somehow either he twisted his ankle or his leg just gave out....but he fell on the pavement (parking lot) and ended up breaking 2 bones in his right ankle! I was at work when he had called me from the hospital - and found out that he was slated for surgery this afternoon. As I write this - the surgery is completed and he is in the recovery room waiting to be transported to his regular room. I plan on stopping by later to see how he's doing. Needless to say, he didn't make that appt. with the oral surgeon - and I hope he can reschedule this quickly, but they have not yet told me how long he will be in the hospital yet. I know an injury like this can take at LEAST 6 weeks or so before it's somewhat better - but with the therapy involved - we're talking months again. Not to mention he's still having shoulder pain/stiffness - and the hardened neck/throat which makes eating still a chore for the most part. Anyways - I just thought I'd share this with you all. Geez - it seems like he takes "1 step forward and 2 steps back" everytime I think things are going OK. Oh well - I have to get ready soon to get to the hospital. We'll keep everyone posted.

DonnaJean
#1335 06-24-2003 01:36 PM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Donna Jean
can you get the oral surgeon to see him there?
Diane

#1336 06-24-2003 02:42 PM
OP Offline

Hi Diane, I just got back from the hospital a short while ago. He is definitely admitted for the night, and depending on the doctor tomorrow - we'll see then when he may be ready to come home. I had a heck of a time getting ahold of the nurse/the doctors office staff to cancel the appointment - and I explained to them the dilemma, but she only offered to make note of it and to tell the doc. I'm hoping John will be coming home soon, so he can re-schedule this appt. with the oral surgeon asap. He didn't want me to reset the date...but if he's going to be in there for awhile, I will have to see if I can get the doc to go see him there.

DonnaJean
#1337 06-25-2003 02:03 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

DonnaJean,

Tell John hello and best from all of us....Hopefully they won't keep him long for the ankle and he'll be home in your loving arms soon.

Bet he'll be able to go to that doc's office for his checkup. Is he in a walking cast?

You take care of him and yourself.
Dinah

#1338 06-25-2003 01:57 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Dinah for the nice sentiment. John came home this afternoon from the hospital - but even with all the pain meds he normally takes - plus the percocet the doctor has given him for the broken bones - he is in a LOT of pain yet. In fact - all he is doing is basically catching bits of sleep here and there - but no amount of pillows to keep his leg propped up seems to help either. He has been only on a few liquids (jello, broth, etc) since this happened yesterday. I tried to get him to eat something - but he isn't hungry and won't even try. He has great difficulty even moving his leg a few inches. The doc said no walking on that ankle for 4 weeks. I was worried about his getting enough nutrition/calories before this happened - now I'm afraid he'll lose too much too quickly again. His muscle tone still has not come back to the way it was. This I think is probably what caused this accident to happen in the first place. He twisted around on his foot and he said his knee gave out on him, and that's how he fell. Gosh, you would think after all that milk I was giving him with the Ovaltine, he would have pretty strong bones by now. Anyways - sorry to ramble on, but I am just so frustrated right now. I still don't know if and when he cam make his appt. with the oral surgeon - he's in too much pain right now and can't move hardly at all. frown

DonnaJean
#1339 06-25-2003 02:00 PM
OP Offline

I'm sorry Dinah - I forgot to answer your other question. Yes, they do have his leg in a cast, and that's wrapped up with ace bandages - up to the top of the calf. Instead of crutches - they gave him a walker to use also. It's not much help getting around with though.

DonnaJean
#1340 06-26-2003 01:59 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh pistache!!!!I probably spelled it wrong but it's as close to cussing as a good old girl like me will come on an open forum like this.

It will probably be days before the pain starts letting up. And I believe you are right about the weakness making him fall, I have come close to it myself, just having my legs give out on me.

I don't know what to suggest about the food...it's going to be back to the treatment type diet. And he was probably so glad to get back to normal food. It's a bind, the pain meds are gonna' kill the appetite and cause constipation...
and yet he's in pain.

Not a good place to be...for either of you. This has to be as tough on you as him, just in different ways.

You hang in there...we are here if you need to vent.
Dinah

#1341 06-26-2003 06:46 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Donnajean, I feel your (and John's) pain...Isn't it great to have to deal with things OTHER than Can--r? I mean it stinks that this happened but it is kind of a distraction isn't it?

I hope he heals quickly! smile

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#1342 06-27-2003 12:46 PM
OP Offline

Well Mark, it may be a distraction for John - but it's just "double worry" for me. Yes - I'm ver concerned about the leg - but more worried about the big "C" and the treatments lasting side effects. Well, just like everything else - the broken ankle will take it's time to heal too. N

DonnaJean

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics