Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#131653 03-20-2011 08:51 AM
Patkid Offline OP
OP Offline

I have been reading here since before 5 this morning. I so appreciate each of you.
A brief hx: 2005 my husband dx w/ Stage IV Lung Cancer I cared for him solely while working a full time job from home. He died Jan 1, 2006
April 2009 my job went away (I sold auto fasteners...........)
Oct 2010 Cobra ran out
I am currently uninsured as I could not afford an individual policy on my widow's SS and small pension
I smoked from age 19 till 1998. about 1.5 packs per day
After Brian died I picked up my smokes again and have quit about 100 times since then w/ repeated failure. I am not currently smoking since Valenines day.
I have had odd symptoms for a few months and was searching the internet and found them to be symptoms of Jaw Cancer.
The most notable symptom is weird itchy prickly pain along and under my jaw. I have periodontal disease but the current pain in my left lower jaw is much worse than my experience w/ 'sore gums'. I am very uncomfortable when eating and stick to eggs and other soft foods. (I may give in to my ice cream addiction anytime, though.)
I certainly don't expect a dx from you good folks, just some feedback, please and thank you.
I have to make informed choices in seeing a doctor as my financial resources ave VERY limited.
My dearest husband literally died paying our home off, but there is NO market for selling.
I am very frightened and very alone and am getting by on prayer and trust in God's Will.
I would so appreciate any comments from you folks with experience.
Again, your existance has given me much comfort this morning.
Pat in IL

Last edited by Patkid; 03-20-2011 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling and punctuation
Patkid Offline OP
OP Offline

I would like to add that I am reluctant to tell any of this to my sister or my 3 grown sons as each of them has express concern and dismay over my cigarettes. Hence I feel completely alone and 'in a corner'.
P

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Pat, welcome to OCF. Im sorry for the loss of your husband. Im glad you have been reading and educating yourself. OCF has not just an abundance of info but also moral support as well. Being on a tight budget makes it difficult to know which way to turn with this. One thing you will learn is that you cant put a price tag or location on a good doctor. It is very important that you get to a cancer center and get this checked out. You will need a biopsy done which can be done by an oral surgeon, ENT or even some dentists do them.

Do yourself a favor and throw away the cigs for good this time. I hope you do not have cancer and that this is just a scary wake up call for you.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Agree totally - you are more important than money - get to a good dr. Get a definitive diagnosis. Tell your family - no matter what - they love you. Call the government offices - see if there is some way you can get help.

I am sorry about the loss of your husband - and hope this isn't cancer - but please do get it checked out.

Sending prayers your way.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

so sorry to hear of ur loss of your husband and ur job. I sure hope this isn't cancer, but have you checked with ur county to see if there is any assistance for medical insurance through them? Here in minnesota, we have minnesota care, GMAC and MA. All are county assisted medical insurance programs, and I was on minnesota care when I was diagnosed, but when I had my surgery, I was moved to MA cuz I was no longer able to work, and had no income, and MA paid for everything. Might be worthwhile to check into.
What part of IL are you in? I started my journey with my dentist, and they referred me to one oral surgeon. That oral surgeon did my biopsy finally after 5 months had gone by from my finding it, but then I was referred to my current oral surgeon who is at U of m, which isn't a cancer center, but he is one of the best in the state for oral cancer, and they have treated many many patients of head and neck cancer there. So I stayed there instead of going to Mayo which is a CCC.

Also, if you don't qualify for a county assisted medical insurance program, sometimes hospitals and clinics have their own special program that you can qualify for that will take care of or help with medical bills. Up here, all of our hospitals have their own special programs to help with low to no income families.

Again hope this isn't cancer, but i will keep you in my thoughts!!

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics