Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Ok, my first night home and can't get comfortable with neck dissection on both sides. :o( Anyway...I just got the bill for a MONTH worth of Jevity Plus 1710 - seems it is going to be $70 per day for 6 cans a day to have it delivered by a local Health service. Insurance will pay $40 a day, we 2ill owe $30 a day. I didn't eat that well when I could eat. :o(

I will call insurance tomorrow and see if they would cover Nestle or Carnation or Ensure if it were prescribed and maybe I could purchase it cheaper.

I just wondered if anyone had any tips/tricks on eating and not going broke with an NG tube. My mouth is wired shut, with another 2 weeks to go and then rubber bands for 3-4 weeks...so we are talking a LOT of money for $30 a day.

I am not thinking really clearly yet...and am WAY over tired but if anyone has any stories/ideas, etc I would appreciate it. I am debating about just going with Ensure with Fiber at $10 or so a day...not $30!

First night home - tired/exhausted but can't sleep, get comfy or do much of anything else. Have the trach collar on over my stitches and staples.

Just wondering if insurance will pay for the lesser brands, and other hints and tips. This every 4 hours stuff is killing me!

Michele in IL

Female - 53 no smoke/drink
tongue Biopsy 8/2010
Surgery 9/21 for SCC left side tongue stage II. Prtl removal tongue/left side lymph nodes. All Clear
Radiation started 11/2, ended 12/17
Lymph node involved left side along with gum involvement 2/9 Fibular flap failed 2/22.
passed away 1/12/12
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Carnation VHC can be purchased thru the Amazon link on the main forum pages for $42 per case. I go thru RxUSA Inc. and the price was $31 + $11 S&H. If you need further help, I can send you the link. Insurance will not cover non prescription formulas such as Carnation, ensure, etc.

I was prescribed Impact with fiber which was $240 per case. Somehow, my hospital case manager helped negotiate the price down to $75 per case. Prescription formulas are less sugar and more balanced than Carnation VHC.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

The dietician (spelling) @ the hospital I worked with had cases and cases of samples and she gave me weeks of supplies. Then the company that furnishes them considered me a "hardship" case and donated them to me. I had my feeding tube for a year and didn't have to pay for any of the formulas. It's worth checking into. Maybe at least they would give you a discount of some sort.

Best wished to you!

Cathi

57 when diagnosed. Heavy smoker. Social drinker. Diagnosed 7/9/09 with tonsil, tongue & neck cancer. Chemo induction (Cisplatin, 5FU & Taxotere) & 35 radiation tx + 7 Carboplatin.
Head and neck CAT scan on 1/15/10 shows no cancer.
1/27/12 First PET/CAT scans in 2 years - All clear!!
recurrence mid-2015
OCF supporter and avid OCF CO and NJ walk attendee with worldwide friends

*** 1-7-16 passed away unexpectedly ***

Michelle,
Those numbers don't sound right. That is $11.67 a can. Are you certain it is not $70 a week, or $70 for a case of 24? I looked up the cost of their 1.5 on the Abbot web site and that runs around $57 a case. I also can't imagine the insurance company willing to pay for something costing 11.67 a can when there are a zillion other products almost as good at a much lesser price.

I'm certain you got this wrong, but even at $70 a case, it is too expensive. See if the Carnation VHC will do the trick. I think I used Ensure Plus with NG tube after insurance stopped paying for Jevity.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
OP Offline

No, it is $70 a day...we checked. Believe me! We called the Dr. back and they said Ensure plus would be fine...insurance won't cover but it is only $10 a day...not $30 like the Jevity would have been. Geesh. We have to keep the 8 days worth they sent...so I am eating $240 of food in the next 8 days. Highway robbery!

I did get HAP (hospital acquired pneumonia and they killed me with antibiotics...the Jevity has stuff to help get your stomach back to normal...so the first 8 days will help but heaven's to betsy!

It was going to be $986 for the first 30 days. Once my out of pocket was filled they would cover it all...but that is $5000 so don't really want to go that high either!

Thanks for commenting, if we had read it wrong I would certainly want to know.

Otherwise, does anyone know if Carnation VHC or Ensure Plus might be better for me?

Having a hard time sleeping with the neck stitches and trach strap. I am pretty darned miserable right now...but tomorrow is another day.

Michele in IL

Female - 53 no smoke/drink
tongue Biopsy 8/2010
Surgery 9/21 for SCC left side tongue stage II. Prtl removal tongue/left side lymph nodes. All Clear
Radiation started 11/2, ended 12/17
Lymph node involved left side along with gum involvement 2/9 Fibular flap failed 2/22.
passed away 1/12/12
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Michele:
It's good hearing from you. Hope you feel better soon; maybe you can sleep better when you get your neck stitches out. I'll say a prayer that you do and send it to you ASAP. I used, and still use, the Carnation Breakfast VHC 560 cal. drink, and even though I'm "sick" of it, the can is only 8.45 fl oz, and I can sip it through a straw really fast. I know it probably has more sugar than the other, but calories count now too. You could supplement the VHC with a probiotic capsule, BifidosBiotics, which I get at the Compound Pharmacy for $23,95/bottle for 60 capsules. This is a "friendly" bacteria that is supposed to support healthy intestinal functions. This is just things I use satisfactorily, and I'm sure other Forum members will suggest their solutions. Either way, I hope you find something you can use that doesn't cost a fortune. I believe Christine said the VHC can be bought on the Amazon link on the main Forum pages for $42 per case (24 cans). I didn't know that, and will get mine there from now on. I ordered mine through CVS Pharmacy and for 24 cans I paid $63.24. Get well soon.
julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile

Michele - It's so good to hear from you - You have been so strong and courageous through all this. I wish I could say or do something that would help you to be more comfortable and feel lots better. I'm sending prayers your way for things to improve really soon.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Michele,

It�s good to have you back. You are in my thoughts and I�m praying for you.

When I read your first post, I thought the pharmacy tech had typed the order wrong and was charging you for the one liter bottles rather than the cans. When Tim left the hospital, they sent us home with a couple and the cost was around $12 each.

You may want to let whoever ordered it for you know that the supplier is ripping you off. This is just another example of certain members of the medical community taking advantage of patients because they don�t tend to comparison shop immediately after major surgery.

Before switching to another brand, be sure to ask your dietician as well as the surgeon. Tim�s surgeon had no idea what diet he needed; it�s not their area of expertise. Some Jevity is identical to Ensure, but others have more calories, fiber and added supplements. If you decide to stay on the Jevity, Tim gets his delivered from H. D. Smith Wholesale Drug in Springfield. They may deliver to your part of Illinois, too. You can also order directly from Abbott.

Keep strong.

Susan, CG to husband, diagnosed April 2010, age 56, non-smoker, no HPV
Mandibulectomy on left side May 2010 followed by 30 radiation, 3 cisplatin treatments.

Michelle,
Who did you call back, the supplier or Abbott? If you didn't call Abbott, I would give them a call and find out what this stuff really costs. I couldn't find exectly what you were taking on their web site. I know the rental cost on my suction machine can double for the same machine depending on which suuplier the insurance company uses. It wouldn't surprise me if it not the same for things like Jevity.

Meanwhile Carnation VHC has 560 calories and while Ensure Plus has only 350 so VHC is lots more calories per can.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

At the hospital, you should have had a case manager. This is the kinds of things they should be doing for you!!! My case manager negotiated directly with the medical supply company on my behalf. Thats how I got it so cheap. I used to supplement it with the Carnation VHC as it was alot more calories and much cheaper.

Hope you are making progress Michele and you are feeling a little better and stronger everyday.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma