Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Christine...thank you for being you. You help me more then you'll ever know. You and Charm, Jim, David...Cookey..man you guys really keep me sane, if I can even claim sanity. Vanity sure, sanity, not so much.

I think I need a hug this evening.

Love you guys

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Lizzy67 Offline OP
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Christine, I agree with Eric..thank you for being you. You are amazing! I know I will get through this, I have the strenght, it's just been beaten down a bit but it will pop back up!

Eric..a big Aussie hug for you my friend!!

Love

Liza

SCC of the Buccal Mucosa (R cheek)- T1N0M0.10 hour Surgery on 27/9/10 involving resection with freeflap from radial forearm..clear margins. Neck dissection..negative nodes.Trachy, NGT, no rad or chemo needed at the time. Neck lump positive for SCC..again! MND 14/2/11. Waiting to have chemo and rads
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

hey liza smile
i know i can't put your mind completely at ease. i'd do anything to make that happen if it were possible. but you've been strong before. i'm convinced you can do it again. being hit when you're down is never fun. i've experienced it on a lesser scale. and it's always hard to get back up again.

but you're a great person. even when you knew about this recent diagnosis, you had the kind heart to welcome me and wish me the best. that tells me you are a strong, compassionate person. i have faith that good things do happen to good people. and this is something my mum told me which helped me when i was in some darker times.- it's that, 'god' only throws things at you, that he thinks you can handle. I think that statement has merit when i see how many good people have to fight for thier existance with this disease. they have the strength and willpower to beat something like this. it's a big test, but one i believe you're up for.

all the best mate. i'll have my fingers crossed for you most defintely. good luck!
dave

21 @ diagnosis. Tongue cancer(SCC) non smoker,HPV negative. 11 hour Surgery (30+ glands removed-left side neck dissection, 'jaw split' for 'access'-left side tongue dissection, graft & artery from left thigh for re-construction of tongue.44 rad t'ments.4x cisplatin.no peg.Clear PET scan 12/5/2011!
Lizzy67 Offline OP
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Dave

For someome so young you are so wise! Thank you for the kind words. I am so touched by the support I have received.And I , like your mum believe that God throws things at people only if they can handle it, but geez, I wish He didn't trust me so much!! Mother Theresa said that and I thought how true!!

I have to get through this, there is no other option. But, as a human being, there are times when I have to give in to my emotions and at the moment, I feel like crap!! But, hey, tomorrow is another day and I will face it when it comes!

How are you doing now? What side effects are you experiencing from your radiation? And do you know how many nodes were positive?

I thank you again for your support. Tell your mum she has raised a fine young man, one she should be very proud of.

Take care

Liza

SCC of the Buccal Mucosa (R cheek)- T1N0M0.10 hour Surgery on 27/9/10 involving resection with freeflap from radial forearm..clear margins. Neck dissection..negative nodes.Trachy, NGT, no rad or chemo needed at the time. Neck lump positive for SCC..again! MND 14/2/11. Waiting to have chemo and rads
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Anytime wink.that's fully understandable & the emotions can be unbearable !I have very little saliva but I assume that goes for almost everyone here.I can eat many foods as long as they are 'moist'.i have no chance on dry food.i use bicarb & salt mouthwashes after every meal & I use tooth moose & fluoride to look after my teeth because the saliva is bad quality..at this point in time I'm very lucky & my speech is very good.I've joined a gym for some rehab & returned to outdoors work as a roofer where I'm not what I was previously,but am progressing well.they took about 30 glands.from memory there was 3 or 4 that showed up cancerous.it was moving very quick so a matter of weeks could have made it alot worse.so I'm very thankful that I got in early for my biopsy!(there was a cancellation to put me in a month earlier)-which I nearly didn't take!I was lucky.all the best mate.we're all here to support you all the way!look after yourself. P.s-sorry there's no spacing.I'm writing this from my phone

21 @ diagnosis. Tongue cancer(SCC) non smoker,HPV negative. 11 hour Surgery (30+ glands removed-left side neck dissection, 'jaw split' for 'access'-left side tongue dissection, graft & artery from left thigh for re-construction of tongue.44 rad t'ments.4x cisplatin.no peg.Clear PET scan 12/5/2011!
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Hey lizzy - I know the feeling of being nervous and upset. I was a basket case when I first found out - and the weeks between my CT and MRI and then ultimately meeting my dr. were filled with what ifs... No one wants to face their own mortality. Once the surgery was booked and I had a date to focus on - I left most of the worry behind. For me having something concrete to plan for, helps immensely - though I must admit I would have preferred the surgery sooner. Not to say that I didn't have my moments of panic - a lump in my neck I discovered was one of those moments - (it was the one affected lymph node - I now know that ) I had a few days of freak out panic because I knew it was spreading. But it and 39 of it's friends are all gone - along with the tumor - so I'm feeling more optimistic. Definitely not looking forward to my rads and chemo but
I'm glad it's happening I guess. I met with my RO yesterday and everything has been set in motion. I have an appointment Friday for teaching, and fitting for my mask. I have another appointment Monday for something else - and a CT next Friday to check out my nodes - the RO is considering doing radiation bilaterally as a preventative measure. A little leery about that but if it's recommended I will go with it. I also have to see their in house dentist and have a second CT so they can target where they want to place the rads. I'm told likely 2 -3 weeks to start date? You said you are seeing your RO in three weeks? I would see if they can move it up - it may help with the anxiousness. Sometimes doing something about the situation helps.
I'm sorry you're feeling so crappy. I know it's terrifying - but try to focus on other things. I met a woman in the hospital - she was one of the three roomies I had over my ten days - she recommended a healer to me - I called her when I got home and set up a session and it really helped me emotionally. I'm not overly religious - but I do believe in god - and medicine - so I figured it could not hurt - we worked together for an hour and after that I've felt way better. Maybe there is someone or something in your life that can help in a similar way - not necessarily a healer - but someone you can truly talk to - they can't alway give you advice but sometimes it really helps to have someone listen.
No to say that this forum isn't an amazing place - because it is - but sometimes it's nice just to have someone listen to you...

Not sure if I helped at all but take care - let me know when you are going to start chemo and radiation - it sounds like it will be close to my dates. Blessings and good thoughts to you.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I am new to this site and ALL of you people are a huge inspiration to me. It is very easy to just sit and feel sorry for yourself, but that truly doesn't accomplish a thing. I also am waiting to get my radiation scheduled -- get fitted for the dreaded mask and the RO wanted a few new CT scans. Had my remaining lower 3 teeth removed last week so just waiting for the gums to heal a bit before we put them thru hell again.

But just wanted to shout out to all of you that I am so happy I found this site..... I didn't find it until AFTER my surgery, but it has given me so much good info and now I know what questions to ask. Between dx and surgery it was all a blur for me and the hubby. was diagnosed just before the holidays and litreally got the first available surgery date (January 3, 2011)

You guys give me hope.
thanks for that.

Ingrid K
Chicagto, IL area

DX 12/6/10 of T3 SCC Tongue.
Surgery 1/3/11 was hemigloss & forearm free flap, midline mandibulectomy, Neck Disection-All nodes clear.
Ended rads 5/11/11. Taste buds back to about 80%. PEG removed 4/5/12, experimenting eating real food again. If I can do this, so can you !! Stay Strong.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Ingrid, welcome to OCF. Its best to begin your own introductory post so we can get to know you easier. This way it wont take anything away from the original person who needs some support (sorry Liza). I see you did make a signature, very good!!!
Im looking forward to reading more about your situation. Its ok, we are all in this together and help each other.

Liza, I hope today is a much better day for you. I know its morning where you are, so Happy Friday!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Liza, love from me, and to you & Eric ((((lots of hugs)))).

Call any time day or night if you want to chat, well....keeping in mind WA is 3 hours behind Vic...thats why they refer to WA as 'wait awhile'!! {Although someone said to me once - 'Worth alot'!!!]

Lotsa love,

Me
xxxxx

Jeanna
Wife/Carer of Rod, 56, Dx 5/3/09, SCC Oropharnyx T4 N2, End Tx 28th 07/09, 7wks Rad, 3 Cisplatin, primary tonsil, 4cm Lymph right of neck, 1cm left, in jaw & soft palate & base of tongue. Peg 06/09. CT & PET scans 02/11 - NED. Dentures 20/09/11, PEG out 28/10/11.

hi i'm new to this but i have a question. i have had oral cancer twice so far. I just finished with radiation and chemo in mid january. I have had some abscess and infections that the docs have taken care of but now there is a new lump they can't figure out. they believe its either teeth abscesses or that the cancer is back again. how common is it for it to come back so soon after radiation and chemo. they also removed a large tumor from my jaw in october and removed half my tongue for the second time. i should be getting biopsy results soon but i am so worried and confused. how could this happen so soon.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics