Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#12992 12-01-2007 02:11 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Good Morning Joy,
Tell the Preacher I will send out an e-mail to my prayer group and have him and all of you placed on the prayer tree. What is your father's first name?

God Bless you all.
Donna

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
#12993 12-01-2007 04:26 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your father every day. Your father being a preacher I'm sure understands that he is not alone in this battle. Let God give you the strength you will need to continue to be his very important caregiver. My wife just went thru a similar situation with her father who had lung cancer. I was so proud of her the way she was there for her father. Her dad could'nt speak but I could see in his eyes how much it meant to him for her to be there. These moments are precious. Your support and love are stronger medicine than any treatment the doctors will be giving him.
GOD BLESS
TIM AXEL

TIMOTHY C, AXEL
DIAG.3/9/2005 SCC STAGE 3 LEFT TONCIL WITH METZ. TO LYMPHNODES IRMT X 40, CISPLATIN ONCE A WK.X 8, LEFT NECK DISECTION 7/19/2005 CANCER FREE EVER SINCE.NON SMOKER, MODERATE DRINKER,RUNNER
#12994 12-01-2007 04:57 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Sue, I wish I had a magic wand too, not just for my dad, but for everyone out here who has to go through this. I'm thankful for this site, as I dont now how we would have gotten this far without it. I'm glad you are here now.

Minnie, we go to VCU Medical Center, which I still refer to as MCV. His radiation treatments will be done at the Massey Cancer Clinic at the Main Campus in downtown Richmond. It's about an hour away from my parents house as they live just west of Richmond. His H&N surgeon is Dinardo. We are encouraged that they can do more treatments. Mom was worried that they would not be able to radiate. She was so relieved when I called to let her know they could. We know the radiation will be tough, and now we are concerned about the chemo. Maybe we will feel better once we meet with the MO and find out what thats going to be all about.

Donna, Dad's first name is Jim. Mom's name is Jean. We all have names that start with J. I carried on the tradition with my daughter and she has done the same. Eight out of 11 of us at Thanksgiving had a J name. Sometimes we get a little tongue tied if we are all together and call each other by the wrong name. Thanks for adding him to your prayer tree. Our prayer is for his comfort during all this.

Thanks for all of the support. I can't imagine going through all this without you all.

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.
#12995 12-01-2007 08:54 AM

Joy, I'm so sorry that your dad has endured so much this year and has yet to endure more.

I'm glad there is the option to do the radiation. We will include your family in our prayers and we will be watching the board for updates.

I remember being so impressed with how your 75 year old dad made it through radiation treatments so much better than my 48 year old husband. I am sure it might be tougher to endure a 2nd round so soon. Although, I'm thankful that your dad has you and your mom to help him through this.

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
#12996 12-01-2007 02:23 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Joy,
So in my thoughts!
Quality of life is everything for me--I really thought I would be dead by May, wondered whether it was worth planting summer plants--did and enjoyed a season at my caravan which I didn't think I would!
Now just done transatlantic trip to see my 'best-beloved' daughter.
Treatment so far has been 'good to me'--I've managed and thin hair, some mild nausea and a lot of tiredness have been the worst--peanunts compared with what others have endured!
Just go with 'whatever' you, your dad, and the docs reckon will work for you all!

Love3 Bren x

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
#12997 12-01-2007 02:50 PM

Joy,
What number are you in the family? Ihave two daughters, Jacklyn and Jessica....can't imagine more J's, let alone 11!! I stumble everytime they are in trouble,,,"j'h!" oh boy! Good thing they are good kids!!
Ok...so far, I have rec'd 132 replies for the "J" family, expect at least 155. Tell Jim and Jean they are in good hands, as are everyone here!
My mom couldn't have surgery because they found that she had heart issues when they went in for pre-op testing. Mom was given Erbitux. She faired well.
Joy, I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. Try to take a few moments for yourself...that's what the good folks here are always telling me!

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
#12998 12-01-2007 02:50 PM

Joy,
What number are you in the family? Ihave two daughters, Jacklyn and Jessica....can't imagine more J's, let alone 11!! I stumble everytime they are in trouble,,,"j'h!" oh boy! Good thing they are good kids!!
Ok...so far, I have rec'd 132 replies for the "J" family, expect at least 155. Tell Jim and Jean they are in good hands, as are everyone here!
My mom couldn't have surgery because they found that she had heart issues when they went in for pre-op testing. Mom was given Erbitux. She faired well.
Joy, I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. Try to take a few moments for yourself...that's what the good folks here are always telling me!

Donna
#12999 12-01-2007 03:53 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Tim - I've always been the closest to my parents. Now, more than ever I see the love in his eyes for me. It is precious, and these times, even though tough, are the times that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. Without a doubt we know that we were carried on the wings of prayers through the first round of this battle.

Margaret, I too was amazed at how well dad did during the radiation. I read with horror all the side effects that others have experienced and after every treatment I wondered when they were going to start to hit dad. I feel like sometimes he is the only one to not have the feeding tube. Even when food lost its taste and it hurt to swallow, he didn't give up. We didn't have to nag, he knew he must eat. This round of radiation will kill the salivary glands on the left side and salivary function will more than likely be almost non existant. I am so worried that swallowing will become so difficult that a feeding tube will be mandatory. Dad still refuses to go that route. But, we are focusing on today and will worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

Bren - You are truly an inspiration. I read my mom your post regarding your trip here to the states to surprise your daughter. I'm so glad you were able to make the trip and spend time with her. I think it's wonderful that she has also joined you out here on the board. I guess next time you plan a surprise visit to her it will be a surprise to us all!

Donna - I am number 3 of 3. My sister is oldest - Jamie, brother - Jeff, then me. Next is my daughter Jennifer who married a Josh and they have a son Jaden. Mom & Dad's dog is named Julie. My daughters dog is Jupiter. Now if we really want to get wierd we could go on to middle names, which all start with the same letter too....hahaha....Dad and brother are JEP, girls were JLP. My daughter is now a JLC, her husband and son are JAC. When I spoke to dad earlier today I told him that friends of mine from out here that lived in PA were adding him to their prayer tree. He was so PLEASED and asked that I let you know how much he appreciated all the prayers.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies and support. I'm feeling better now knowing that we won't be facing this alone.

Hugs,

Joy

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.
#13000 12-04-2007 04:44 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Joy,

Sorry to hear about your dad, and what your family will have to go through again. Please try to talk your dad into getting the PEG, it will make it easier for him to stay hydrated and nourished, and be easier for the caregivers, too. My sister was also taking percoset for the pain, but it took too long to work and the pain would increase to level 10 in less than 15-20 minutes. When her doctor prescribed her roxanol ( sort of like a liquid morphine), it was so much more effective in controlling the pain. I wish you, your dad and family the best, and will be thinking of all of you as you battle the beast again. Hope you slay it forever, never to return again. Godspeed to all.
Nancy

Caregiver to sister Connie, dx 2005, scc tongue, 4 surgeries inc. radical left side neck dissection 7/06, 35 IMRT, and 7 cisplatin 2/07, passed away 8-11-07, 51 yrs. young, fought with courage, strength and grace, found peace on her new journey.
#13001 12-04-2007 06:38 PM

Joy....I am behind in reading on the forum, and I am so sorry to hear about your dad's recurrence. It surely doesn't seem fair, does it, but then that is not even up for discussion, especially with your dad. I am sorry that he..and your family...have to go through this again, but perhaps with the radiation focused on his neck, it won't be quite as bad as before.

Please tell your father that I will add him to my prayer list, in hopes that his treatments are not difficult, and that they will destroy this cancer once and for all.

XO--Colleen

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics