Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

hi my is gerry my husband had surgery on his lip to remove a tumor cancer stage 4 dr couldn,t get all cancer cells on the edges of jawbone taking chemo and radition now he is having trouble swallowing do you know what would be wrong thanks gerry

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Gerry

Welcome to OCF. So sorry you had to join our forum. But it's a great group. I'm delighted that you followed my advice to your initial private message to post here on the board. We have wonderful caregivers here who can provide you that unique caregiver insight that a patient like myself cannot.

To get the ball rolling here, I'll repeat my initial suggestions:
First and foremost, go with your husband to his next doctor's visit. Post after post here documents that husbands often don't complain or explain to the doctors at a visit just how much trouble they are having. Instead they complain to their caregiver ! Speak up at that next visit.

Secondly, a sore throat and difficulty swallowing are part and parcel of radiation and chemotherapy. At this time of year, it's also very possible that he has a cold (virus so anitbiotics won't work) which attacks throats even harder when they have rad/chemo TX.

Third: remedies which have worked for us
- Gargle with Salt water
- throat lozenges
- "magic mouthwash" - a prescription mix of lidocaine etc that most of used at one point or another because we had the exact same problem your husband has. Again, you need to ask/demand this from his doctor

Last but not least: make sure your husband is getting both enough water and calories. I lived on EnsurePlus the last weeks of my radiation as I could not swallow solid food. He only needs six cans a day to get 2000 calories. Others swear by Carnation VHC which has even more calories in each can

So there may not be anything "wrong", but again speak up at his next doctor visit and ask at least for the magic mouthwash prescription
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

They can do a barium swallow test to see where the problem might be. The radiation has been know to cause the esophagus to tighten up which might need to be stretched out. It is pretty easy if that is the case. In order to know if you need to do that they usually do an endoscopy.

31 at dx 9/06
SCC T4N0M0 with bone invasion upper maxillary
Surgery 10/06
CT's clear for 2 years
2nd recurrence - Laser surgery 1/09 dx
Tumor board - No surgery to invasive for QOL
35 IMRT 3/30/09 Completed 5/15/09
8 tx Erbitux 3/24/09 Completed 5/6/09
HBO for ORN March & April 2010
Fibula flap 5/10
OP Offline

thanks so much i,m just having a hard time with this so scared thanks again

I must have been writing when Charm was. Glad you found us here and I hope that you are able to get things figured out. Charm knows a lot and gives great information.

31 at dx 9/06
SCC T4N0M0 with bone invasion upper maxillary
Surgery 10/06
CT's clear for 2 years
2nd recurrence - Laser surgery 1/09 dx
Tumor board - No surgery to invasive for QOL
35 IMRT 3/30/09 Completed 5/15/09
8 tx Erbitux 3/24/09 Completed 5/6/09
HBO for ORN March & April 2010
Fibula flap 5/10
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

You have found the right place to help you so you are better prepared to assist your husband. Going thru radiation is no picnic. It will get progressively worse as time goes on as it builds up in your body. Radiation even keeps working after he finishes treatments.

Being a caregiver can be a thankless frustrating job. I dont know if I would have the patience to handle everything a caregiver has to. Here are a couple hints for doctor visits. Make sure you make a list prior to the next doctor visit, you really need to attend these. Make sure you have clear answers that you understand. If you are unsure of something ask and dont be afraid to ask your medical professionals to put it in simpler form so you can understand it. Im sure you have already seen alot of medical jargon on this forum. You will soon be able to understand all this stuff like a pro! Some people have even taken a tape recorder to their doctor visits so they can play it back later when they arent so stressed out. Most docs will allow you to tape the session if you ask.

Trouble swallowing could be from radiation or any number of other things. Very very important---make sure your husband drinks and swallows water every single day. No matter how much discomfort he is in, he needs to swallow or his muscles will forget how. If he is choking or getting water down his windpipe then he will need a swallow test done before he drinks. He should be taking in minimum of 48 oz daily, the more he drinks the better he will feel. Same goes with calories, minimum 2500+ daily, the more the better. If your husband is unable to meet those minimums then he might need a feeding tube. Many of us have had to have one of those to keep up our nutrition, we didnt want one but it was a necessity.

Best wishes with everything.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Geraldine, I add my welcome and good thoughts to both of you. Charm and Christine have given you excellent advice.

It's normal to be scared. We all were and are. Your husband is very lucky to have you and I'm sure he relies on your support. Which I know is tough!

Hang in there, ask us any questions that come up and keep the faith!

David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

You have come to the right place for advice. These people are wonderful!

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.

Hi Geraldine,

Welcome to OCF. We all understand the fear you are experiencing now. We have all felt scared and it is totally normal. I urge you to stay active on the forums here and ask as many questions as you have. There are a lot of people who are caregivers and they can help you. I always tell people I think it's easier to be the patient. Hang in there and know you and your husband are not alone...we are all here for you.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23