Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

My husband is 5 months post treatment now. The ringing in the ears comes and goes as well as the shakiness. I know recovery realistically takes 1 to 2 years. He gets tired so easily and has little energy at times, and he is still struggling with memory issues and overall cognitive functioning. I think he is petrified of returning to his high demand career because of these struggles right now. He is so much better than he was 2 months ago, but it seems there is still a mountain in front of us. When did any of you see improvement in these areas??

Kevin

Age 42, Stage 4 SCC w/Right Tonsil and 6 nodes positive, Neck Dissection 6/01, 35 rads with 1x/3wk cisplatin, peg 7/2010. completed treatment 8/17/10.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Everybody is going to be different when it comes to recovery.

Cancer Related Fatigue (CRF) can last for a while after treatment. Exercise is the best way to help with it, but also getting his TSH levels checked as well as his testosterone. There is medications for both if deficiancies are found and they can help improve the issues.

Memory loss...tough one. I still suffer however mine isn't just due to the chemo but from long term opiate use. If your husband is still on opiate pain meds they can cause both memory loss and fatigue.

5 Hour Energy helped me with the energy issues even when I was still on a large dose of fentanyl. I still use it myself and it helps me pull the long days I've become accustomed to.

Hope that helps,

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

The ringing in his ears is likely permanent hearing damage and he needs a hearing test to define it.

I was weak as a kitten for a good 6 months post Tx.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

My docs have told me one month recovery for every week of radiation. I was pretty good at 4 months out, even better at 8. At 5 months he should be feeling much much better than before, not what you are describing. It could be his thyroid holding him back from having any energy. Has he had recent bloodwork? Might be anemia? Or low white counts will make him feel lousy. I suggest checking in with his medical oncologist and having bloodwork done. There could be a very simple explanation for how your husband is feeling. Hope this helps.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I am currently on thyroid meds because of my low energy levels, but sometimes my energy is very high. It did take me a while before I was able to go back to work full time, and I still find that when I have had a very busy day at work, I just crash when I get home, but hey, I'm 65 and maybe this would be the case even if I never got cancer. The "chemo brain" thing: I find I really need to write everything down - but again, that also could be my age, as well. As one poster just said - everybody's different. Everybody tells me I really look great, so I guess I'm doing as well as expected with my "new normal."

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
OP Offline

Thanks so much! He just got off the patch last week. He does have permanent hearing loss so much they recommend hearing aides. Small price to pay:)

Kevin

Age 42, Stage 4 SCC w/Right Tonsil and 6 nodes positive, Neck Dissection 6/01, 35 rads with 1x/3wk cisplatin, peg 7/2010. completed treatment 8/17/10.

I thought I had chronic fatigue but it turned out I needed thyroid meds. While my CCC doctors were top notch on Cancer, for related issues like Thyroid - "not so much". I was not only extremely tired but also froze for two years, even in summer, and kept a winter coat on in air conditioned places yet I was constantly told: "Your TSH levels are normal" and I did not ask for the actual numbers or test results. Turns out however there is controversy over what is the right TSH level with labs having a 5.5, a 4.5 even though endocrinologists who went to Medical school the 21st Century consider 3.0 as the highest acceptable level. Before TX, I had a TSH of 1.6 and after TX it shot up to 4.3. My TSH level went down to 1.48, now that I am "on the pill", I am finally warm again. Plus my energy is back Of course there could also be nothing wrong at all with his thyroid . But it's a simple blood test. Check back on his back records to see if he has a pre radiation TSH level to shoot for.
Best wishes
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 02-12-2011 05:35 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
"OCF Canuck, across the pond"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Canuck, across the pond"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

As said, each patient reacts differently, and in fact, each treatment is different. I had 33 doses of radiation to my throat/neck, and three doses of Cisplatin, and only 6 months later, a limited neck dissection just to make sure (nothing there, phew!).

In my case the steroids and/or the Fentanyl and/or the whole physical slam did a number on my head for a time. I then suffered low energy and insomnia for months. By the way, just coming off the Fentanyl patch can, for some, be a huge and extended challenge! It was for me.

I also suffered degraded short-term memory, and was very easily overwhelmed by the slightest uncertainty.

What I can say is now, just about ten months from the end of my primary treatment, I think I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. All of my various complaints have very very gradually improved. Oh how I longed for a "sudden" return to "normal" sleep, but this never came. However, I am sleeping better. My energy is pretty good. I'm getting out to jog, and I'm just about to start working again. My memory is returning, and my optimism to face uncertainty is returning. I hope to improve lots more, but it's coming.

I can relate to your husband's concerns about returning to work. I couldn't have done it a few months ago (or it would have been very very challenging, at least). But now, I'm feeling ready.

Time, patience, nutrition, exercise (when you're ready). It really is true, it gets better. At times it really didn't seem possible, but it has.

Good luck!

-Seth

47 yr old male non-smoker, social drinker, fit. Jan'10, Stg3 rt tonsil+rt neck SCC, HPV+, rad+chmo Vancouver Cda. 2yr clear Apr'12 London UK. Apr'13 mets recur to lymph btw left lung & aorta, 3x Cisplatin+5FUchemo+20 rad, was all clear but 6-mo PET-CT shows mets to pleura around left lung, participating in St 1 trial of GDC-0980. GDC lost effect and ended July'14, bad atrial fibrillation requiring hospitalisation, start more standard chemo 10 Sep 2014.
Sadly has passed away, notified Jan 2015.
OP Offline

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. All blood work came back normal. We were told time, diet, and exercise . . . . We'll keep on keepin' on.

Kevin

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I am a year and a half out of treatments, (10 weeks of Rad, 3 courses of Cisplatin) and am still feeling the effects. I have ringing but it is slight. I'm still fatigued but slooowly getting better. They have run all the tests and thyroid and testosterone are nomal. The only anomaly is low blood count so I am taking iron. As for chemo brain, I'm convinced that there was permanent damage. During treatment, I couldn't concentrate long enough to read a book and now I can do that but I have been very absent minded, freak easily, and can't multi-task at all.

Mark
BOT Squamous cell, stage IIIa
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

After the 1st round of radiation, I suffered from fatigue for about a year. After the 2nd round of radiation (30 treatments now to the right side), I am STILL experiencing severe fatigue. The RO says there are no stats on fatigue after a 2nd radiation, as they don't do it that often and it hasn't been studied/tracked. At this point - 3 years post treatment - we expect this is a permanent but non-fatal side effect of what the RO described as "life saving treatment". I'll take it!

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)

Well said Donna!

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

That ringing is most likely permanent hearing loss due to the Cis. Have a hearing test done.

Re the fatigue and chemo brain....I think I recovered quicker than most from the fatigue but I really do believe that my memory suffered some. Couple that with being 5 years older and sometimes it ain't pretty!

Give yourself another 6 months or so and see if you feel different re the fatigue. I will say that even though your TSH may fall within the large range of normal it may not be what your body was used to pre Tx. We often discuss this on this site but alas we are not Endocrinologists so we can't back up our theories with proven medical knowledge.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users