Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1284 06-11-2003 03:23 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi to All, As many of you know - my husband Johnny had the modified radical neck dissection done on 2/6/03. He finished radiation treatment at the end of November 2002. There has been significant swelling/puffiness in the face and neck, along with increased phlegm, headaches and occasional nausea, etc. Although for the most part, he seems to have gotten better - as of the past few days, his appetite is non-existant as he has been complaining of a constant sore throat and side of face where the surgery was done. But what mostly (still) bothers him is the "throat problem" whereas swallowing is difficult and he often chokes on food and medications. To feel his throat - it is extremely hard. I mean, it feels totally "solid" except where the creases in the skin are..then it kind of dips and then it's a solid, hard feeling again. Is this normal? It's only been 4 months post surgery, and I know he's still healing - but he's said he's been feeling blahsay and tired again...and has no appetite at all now. He was eating pretty good a few weeks ago, for the most part. His next doctor's appt. is not until the 24th. On his last visit, the oral surgeon didn't say anything about it - except that's part of the healing process and nothing can be done about it. Has anyone else experienced a hard, solid feeling on their throat? The one side of his face is pretty much the same way too. Thanks so much for any info. you can give me. confused

DonnaJean
#1285 06-12-2003 02:23 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Joanna,

I'm standing up waving my hand to say "me too" I am 1 1/2 years out of surgery and my throat on that side is still hard. I can only speak for myself, but I still have trouble swallowing some things. I attributed it to the chemo aggravating my healing process. That's just my thought.

I have an appointment with my "new" ENT today to get a reading on my ct scans and I plan to discuss my backward progress with him.

So I really am no help on the swalowing problem you have, since my circustances are so different, but my neck is hard. I know some people were told early on about massage and maybe that helped them. I was never told about that.

Good luck and I hope he feels better soon. If not I'd sure call the doctor and not wait until the 24th. Piece of mind is so very important in handling things.

Take care,
Dinah

PS - Check your private messages - I sent you one a month ago and it's unread??

#1286 06-12-2003 11:14 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Donna,
My radiation oncologist warned me that there would be a "texture" to the side of my throat where the tumor was and the bulk of the radiation delivered. I am having to learn new tricks to swallow without choking. I have found that things go better the longer I have been up and awake. I struggle through breakfast choking on every other bite and then it seems to improve as the day wears on.

My appetite is good as long as I can keep the constipation at bay - that's my main appetite killer these days.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#1287 06-12-2003 12:04 PM

I still get "hardness" under my chin and on the side of the neck that the dissection was done on and it is one of the issues that still bothers me. I was told by my doctors that this is a normal condition and I have seen them all (Head and Neck surgeon, ENT, Radiation Oncologist and Oral Surgeon) in the last 3 weeks. They say it is a due to the beating the area took and it will come and go. The problem I have with it is that if it is, as they say, primarily lymphatic fluid then why is it hard and not like.....like.....like a water filled area? As far as the effect on swallowing is concerned I do notice that when I'm having a "hard neck" period my throat feels slightly constricted. I would imagine that the external pressure on the throat area will reduce the internal area. All I can offer beyond this is that I have healed and recovered exceptionally well and I'm 9 months out from surgery today, so John may need some more time. Additionally, I had the surgery first so I believe the healing process was a bit easier than post radiation surgery.

On the feeling blahsay issue, I had some very minor oral surgery done last week and I was walking around like they just split my jaw open again! My poor girlfriend and daughter. It don't take much to remind you that you have gone through hell and any, even minor, setbacks will put you in a down mood. As time goes on his neck and mood will improve!

#1288 06-12-2003 01:01 PM
OP Offline

Hello again....and thank you all for the reply's. The hardness under the chin and side of face, seems to be a real appetite killer. Although John still manages to eat - he gets filled up for the whole day on just a small sandwich at lunchtime. He was doing so much better before, but instead of easing up...his throat feels even more "tighter" or "constricted". He also said every now and then he feels shooting pain in his neck/throat - like someone throwing daggers. I know that can't be normal! He just told me about the shooting pains after I posted my question - so I didn't get to mention that part before. He is going to see if he can get an earlier appt. (instead of the 24th) to see the oral surgeon. He sees his radiation oncologist in July.

GRE1 - I had the same thought - if this is supposed to be lymphatic fluid, why does it feel like a "rock" and not like "water-filled"? I do the massage on his face and throat every day - but I don't see any change. Well, maybe it just takes more time - but I won't rest easy until I know that for sure. Sloooooow, doesn't even begin to describe how long the healing process takes! I was thinking that maybe he needs to get another esophageal dilation done - since when he had that at the time of the neck dissection, that really seemed to help. We'll check with the doctor - at least it wouldn't hurt to ask.

DonnaJean
#1289 06-12-2003 09:52 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Donna,

I'm still dealing with the tighness aound the throat also but it seems not as bad these days. One thing I did start doing in hopes of reducing it was just plain stretching. Looking up, down, left right, etc. Seemed after a while to help.
But it's worse after a meal that requires a lot of chewing.

Neck hard on both sides where it was irradiated, but the side that got nuked first seems to be softening up. Build up of lymphatic fluid on both sides of jaw seem more like the fluid filled sacks you were talking about, so I'm guessing the hardness of the neck is something different altogether. Anyway, docs said it was normal.

Also getting shooting pains, come and goes. Suspect that's just the healing process from the surgery, nerves knitting together. What's strange is the sometimes itching on my neck, and scratching the itch and realizing I can't feel the scratching.

Sounds like your husband and I experiencing a lot of the same things to different degrees. As far as appetite, general feeling, some days are good, some not. For me some foods just don't taste all that good anymore, or are too dry, and that's dissapointing. Who feels like eating when you can't enjoy it.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#1290 06-17-2003 02:13 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

i find that my hard neck comes and goes. it depends alot on how i have slept. make sure you don't lay on the side where the lymph nodes were removed....all of the lymph fluid builds up and then has to find a place to drain out of.

i've also found that my allergies add to my neck stiffness. insead of getting swollen lymph nodes, i now end up with a hard neck. i guess that just comes with the territory.

i often find that a heating pad really helps my neck when things get swollen and sore. i have this herbal pack that goes in the microwave and it works wonders.

I survived because I kept hope alive!!! Live, laugh, love and keep fighting hard.
Jeanette
Stage 3 oral cancer...over 60% of tongue and all lymph nodes on right side removed...July 2002.
Chemo and Radiation...ended September 2002.
#1291 06-17-2003 11:22 AM
OP Offline

My husband went to his regular PCP today to get some Rx's that he needed - his doc couldn't believe how hard or firm his throat and side of face (cheek) felt! John wasn't having one of his "better" days today - he was sick about 4x and has been saying that his shoulder is so stiff and sore, along with his throat. I think he was sick on something he ate this morning (breakfast sandwich with sausage in it)..that might have been the culprit. But anyways, I'm hoping he feels better again soon. His next appt. with his oral surgeon is set for next week. Generally speaking, John doesn't sleep on the side of the surgery....but no matter how he sleeps or what angle, the "hardened neck syndrome" is still there and a constant problem. He is currently 4 months post-op, so I imagine this still needs more time to heal. At his last doctors visit - the surgeon didn't seem too concerned - like everyone has said, seems to be the "norm" under this circumstance. Anyways - thanks again to all for the helpful feedback. I do sppreciate it!

DonnaJean
#1292 06-17-2003 11:51 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

hi,

i'm about 18 months post chemo&rad and sometimes feel that my throat is 'toughening' up.

i've found that keeping well hydrated helps AND

i've found that my throat feels much better when i have some olive oil...

now i have olive oil in my morning chocolate shake and at other times, half a teaspoon of olive oil is quite nice.

it seems that the oil keeps the parts lubricated and reduces moisture loss.

this is all probably a bunch of bull, but it works for me.

cu,
larryb

'01 diagnosis.. jaw hing and base of tongue. surgery not possible. JHU used radiation and chemo to seemingly rid me of the beast. peg for about 19 months. 100 cases of 24 cans of liquid food. 9 months eating therapy. 3x esophagus stretches. non-smoker. previously a social drinker.
#1293 06-17-2003 12:28 PM
OP Offline

Hi Larryb, That's an interesting tip - and I may just give it a try! Does anyone know if there's a name for this kind of condition? I don't know what the medical term is...I just call it "hardened throat"! But if you ask me, it's not Lymphadema (it's not really swollen - just hard. solid. firm. not elastic-like. I don't know how else to really describe it - but those of you that have this or have been through it, probably know what I'm talking about. But thanks again for the tip on olive oil - I don't know if it works for everyone - but if you had success with it, I'd keep on doing what your doing - it seems to be working some magic!

DonnaJean
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users