Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#126978 12-30-2010 08:41 AM
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi,
I've floated around this website since September when, as a 59 year-old healthy, non-smoking woman, I found myself with a biopsy that showed positive for squamous cell carcinoma, ventral surface of the tongue. Because the lesion was small, 1 mm deep, less than 1 cm at the widest point, and 5 mm margins were taken all around, it seemed that I was safe at home! However, I developed a small swollen lymph node about 4 weeks after surgery. The impossible happened, and I was found to have metastatic scc!

I have been in contact with a couple of members of this board since this time, and both have been invaluable to me in finding doctors and an institution that I felt comfortable with in handling my case. After selective neck dissection surgery (no more involved nodes) and further cutting on my tongue with no residual cancer there (my least favorite aspect at this point), my doctors at MD Anderson decided that IMRT would be the best course as it is extremely unusual for a superficially invasive lesion to metastatize as this one did. Possibly is it more aggressive.

So now I have come face to face with what I have, or have had, and aim to endure what is now before me. I have not really recovered from my neck dissection, tongue excision (I am missing about a quarter of the left side of my tongue), but I am not feeling as bad as I did last week, having had the surgery, Dec 20, 2010. I am getting feeling back in different areas continually.

I know if I ask for advice on preparing for IMRT, I am likely to hear the message to "bulk up". I am trying to do that. I weigh more than I did last week already! But I'm a light weight, 5' 3", 112-115 pounds. Besides consuming food in mass quantities now, is there any advice out there on preparing oneself for this battle? I am going to be living in Texas (11 hours away from home) for that time. I am married, and my husband will fly in for long weekends. I do have a cousin and family living in Houston so that will help.
AnneO

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Anne, welcome. Although I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis I have complete confidence that you'll come through it with flying colors!

I didn't know what to expect heading into RT. I hadn't yet discovered this forum. So you're already ahead of the game. The bulk up advice is excellent. Having family around is also important. You didn't mention how you'd be getting to treatment each day, driving, public transit... walking? I drove myself the 45 minutes each way right up until the last couple of days, but most of the crowd I saw each day in the waiting room had drivers. So that's something you should think about.

Don't plan on doing much. Everyone is different of course, but I think most of us find that the therapy is very debilitating. After the first couple of weeks (which generally aren't too bad) I basically just managed to get myself out of bed, out to The Ride (as I called RT) and back home to flop back into bed.

I'm sure you've discussed the issues of pain management, burn management, nutrition and hydration and so forth with your doctors and their staff. Please ask any and all questions you can think of, both of them and of us here.

I could write a ton more but I'm sure others will weigh in with stuff I haven't remembered!

My best to you, I'll be thinking of you.

David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks, David. There is a shuttle that goes to the medical center. Also at the apartment complex they have a vehicle which they will use to take you to appointments.

I just hope I can keep eating. No, I really have not discussed all those pain and other issues with my radiology oncologist. He was gone this week when I visited with the surgeon. This is a time of year where folks are taking days off.

I expect to receive a call from them next week, or at least that is what I was told.
Anne

Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Make sure you have pain meds and a ride to the pharmacy in line...they may not give you meds until you need them, but at least know WHEN you should ask for them.

I just finished my 25 IMRT's a little over a week ago and because I had no chemo (like you won't have) it IS easier...but still no walk in the park.

I sell on ebay and worked all the way through treatment but I did start sleeping 2 naps worth towards the end. I gave up eating and just did ensure at about 3-4 weeks (took 7 for treatment because of holidays) but I was still drinking/swallowing so no loss of the ability to swallow.

I ended up with the pain patch and hydroco...hoping not to need the patch but it is what it is. Had a mouth of sticky saliva, dry mouth very early for me because they hit the saliva gland first day and swelled it up and put it out of commission early. :o(

Do you have fluoride trays? You will need to rinse with salt/warm water and soda for mouth sores and sticky saliva.

My Dr. also suggested that I take 1 TBSP of honey 3 times a day - one just before treatment, one just after treatment and one 6 hours later. I did that for the first 3-4 weeks but quit when the honey hurt the sores. I do really think it helped...both in keeping the weight on and keeping my mouth healthy. Check google for manuka honey and radiation to see some info on it. Sure can't hurt! I don't know if the Manuka makes a difference or not but I did find some locally and used it.

They will give you some "mouthwash" that will have numbing power to use before eating and for pain...I used it but didn't particularly like it (maybe it just didn't work well for me?) and that is why I went to drinking...the Ensure goes down pretty well for me. Keep your teeth brushed as much as you can - even just with warm water - helps the sores stay clean/healing.

If there is anything you can think of to ask, please do and I will be happy to give my opinion! LOL No charge! Just can't think of anything else right now...

They will make a mask and probably a mouthpiece for you to wear. I did OK with those but you can get meds to make it through if you get stressed being locked down.

Good luck and ask away!

Michele in IL

Female - 53 no smoke/drink
tongue Biopsy 8/2010
Surgery 9/21 for SCC left side tongue stage II. Prtl removal tongue/left side lymph nodes. All Clear
Radiation started 11/2, ended 12/17
Lymph node involved left side along with gum involvement 2/9 Fibular flap failed 2/22.
passed away 1/12/12
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks, Michelle.
I'm sure everyone has to find his/her own way to a certain extent.

I have never been very tolerant of mouth pain, only have one restoration in my mouth however. Who'd have figured I'd be resistant to tooth decay but not to oral cancer?

I know lots of folks swear by honey's properties. I think I will look into the Manuka honey and take some down with me in case. I don't mind drinking Ensure. I love making smoothies, but I wonder if the fruit will be too acidic?
Anne

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

While bulking up make sure you consume and savor all your favorite tasting foods.

Also get those Fluoride trays. I'm almost 5 years out and I still use them almost every night. I had perfect teeth going in and I still do, well except they are 5 years older.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Anne, welcome to OCF. You will find that this site has tons of info both here and on the main pages. Both areas have a search function.

Bulking up is the best thing to do. Drinking chocolate milk will help you put the weight on. A pint is 400 calories! When battling cancer, dont be surprised if your intake is over 3000 calories daily and you still have trouble keeping the weight on. Eat all your favorites now, your sense of taste will change. Eat it all then have seconds smile Cheesecake, hamburgers, mexican, chinese food or even a big juicy steak, they all will taste different after a couple weeks of radiation.

Its a good idea to get your thyroid level checked now so that you know what is normal for you. Also get your hearing checked if you are going to be having chemo. Cisplatin can cause hearing problems.

Get to the dentist not just for the flouride trays but also a good checkup. Any teeth that arent in the best shape will need to be taken care of before you start radiation.

Any questions you have, please feel free to ask.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks, Christine, for the advice.
They checked my teeth at MD Anderson and said no problems. That's where I heard about the fluoride trays.

It seems so sad that food won't taste either the same or as good as before. Some folks seem to think they get some of their taste buds back I guess. A friend brought by chocolate meringue pie last night. I ate a fourth of it, then turned to the ice cream in the freezer.

I am a teacher, and will be at school next week trying to get long-term sub plans ready. My friends say that is one advantage I have going into this: I have dealt with middle school aged kids on a regular basis and survived! Believe me, there is some truth there, and I say that lovingly.
Anne

Your sense of taste will be altered. For a little while you will not taste anything or it will taste terrible. This is only temporary. When you take a bite of something you have always loved, you may not love it anymore. I did regain my sense of taste. After aprox 4 months post radiation I started to taste things again. But, my taste buds were on hyper sensitivity mode. A few grains of salt would taste like I poured the whole shaker on something. Same goes for my sense of smell, its still super sensitive. Im a little over 3 years post radiation and I can taste everything almost the same as I had before. I have other issues that prevent me from enjoying a nice regular meal.

Start lining up people to give you a hand. Make a list, dont rely on memory. When someone offers to help you, write down their name and number and tell them you will let them know later when you need help what they can do. This is very important as some close friends may disappear, maybe even some relatives. You will need help to get thru this so be smart and make the list of people. This way if you need a hand its easy to find a helper.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Anne, in re the taste issue... try not to be frightened by this. We're all different. We can surmise that you'll lose some sense of taste, but to what degree or in what direction is impossible to predict. For instance, for me water began to taste metallic and vaguely unpleasant. But other things, especially sweets, were fine.

I didn't use the magic mouthwash that many here speak of, but did rely on viscous lidocaine to numb the sores in my mouth and, theoretically, my throat. It got so bad that I had to hold the stuff in my mouth for up to 10 minutes to do any good. But then I'd always been susceptible to canker sores, so maybe I was more sensitive. Hard to say. In any event, although it may seem like forever, those side effects do go away!

I enjoyed your comment about surviving middle schoolers, btw. Great attitude!

Keep us posted.

David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Anne,

Dont worry too much about the taste disappearing. It is only temporary. I;m the world's biggest foodie and this really worried and upset me at the begining as well. But 4 months after treatment now and i have abot 65% of my taste back. In fact i went into the new year (i'm from australia so we've already had or new year) with 5 Baci chocs, half litre of ice-cream and 15 Oreo cookies (dunked in milk of course to soften them)!!! Those days of not tasting now seems long ago to me and it will be to you soon too!! Good luck with your treatment - i'm sure you will sail through them.

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

David,
I always thought I was more susceptible to mouth ulcers, but I know there are folks out there who have gotten more than myself.
Were you able to keep your nutrition intake through your mouth, then? I figure I would likely be able to take in Ensure and such if not solids if my mouth and throat got very sore. Probably won't know for sure until that time I guess.

Anne

Anne, I toughed it out without a PEG tube. And tough is the right word. My oncologist and her nurse had told me that I could do it if I really applied myself. I had no idea it would be that arduous, and in the last few weeks of RT began wishing I'd had the tube put in.

But it is of course possible and lots of us have done it. It was a daily battle against fairly excruciating pain. Maybe because I've been a cluster headache person throughout most of my adult life, which is about the worst pain imaginable, I was better able to tolerate it. In any event I got through it with the lidocaine and pure determination - which is a quality you (and everyone else here) have already demonstrated by what you've been through to this point, so I'm sure you'll hang in there.

Even so I lost 30 pounds, not uncommon, and struggled to keep my daily intake of calories near to what I needed. Obviously I didn't always succeed...! By the two week point I was strictly on liquid nutrition and room temperature water, and didn't even begin to try very thin solids - like oatmeal - until a good 2-3 months post RT. Even now I still feel a lump swallowing, and usually take a liquid meal once a day.

My best to you. You're going to do fine.
David2

David 2
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Anne!
So sorry to hear you are going through this treatment. I'm so happy to hear that they could your tumor early. The loss of taste will only be temporary. I could tolerate fruit but favored berries like blueberries and blackberries and raspberries also banana felt great too. Many of us have trouble with spicey foods long term. I also have a hard time with over carbonated beverages-- but after a few sips I ususally numb to it.

It won't be so bad. Hang in there. I have no tongue at all (5% or something) and I can still taste fairy well-- 85% smile Tastebuds aren't just on your tongue but all over the oral cavity..Thank goodness!! You are going to recover and be back to your old self before you know it.
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery from this tough treatment.

XO Kate

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

David,
I don't know then. If I lose 30 pounds that would make me slightly over 80 pounds, but then I guess we are talking percentages here. I believe I will make it somehow, but don't know what I should do. I have not met with my doctors yet about those specifics.
Anne

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Anne,

I'm curious to know if the placement of a PEG tube for you was discussed? I can recall the pre-treatment nursing folks telling me that starting around the third week of radiation I wouldn't be able to "swallow my own spit". Actually, I had no choice as the facility where I was treated would not treat a patient for oral cancer without having the PEG installed first so as not to risk interruption of treatments later.

Good luck and you will make it as so many others have.

Bill D.

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi,
I had my neck dissection plus more cutting on the tongue "just to be sure!" surgery Dec 20, stitches out Dec 28. The 28th is when the ENT discussed having radiation therapy, only because my really small tongue cancer had metastisized, and they usually don't. He said the tumor board ended up, after discussion recommending it. The radiation oncologist, whom I had met, was gone that day, and possibly the rest of that week, not sure. They are supposed to call me and set things up. So I don't know what they recommend other than IMRT, and nothing about chemo has been mentioned to me at all so I assume radiation is all. We live 11 hours away, so are hoping we can go next week, get the preliminaries done then, and I would just commence my stay there. My husband is going back to work, but will fly in for long weekends. I hope it will work. I do have a cousin in town, I know they will be happy to help out some, again don't know how much help I'll need. I am tougher than my 110ish pounds would indicate. I am just unsure how it all will fit together.
Anne

Anne, you're at the best cancer hospital in the country. So listening to your doctors would be the wisest thing you could do. In re weight loss, I started at around 188 so had the 30 to lose (going from a normal beanpole to a skinny beanpole). And as I recall that wasn't all from the RT. I'd had the neck dissection and some complications so spent 11 days in the hospital the month before and dropped some of it then.

If they recommend a PEG tube, take it. I can't speak from experience of one, but I know the alternative is a bitch!

You're in great hands.

d2

David 2
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

David,
Thanks! You're right about being in great hands. But it still helps to hear you say that! My RO has been gone and hopefully will be back early next week, because that is when my Head and Neck contact there wants me to first go in. I'll know tomorrow.
Anne

Anne, thinking of you today.
d2

David 2
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

David,
Yes, we leave on Monday for a Tuesday appointment: my "rehearsal". Apt, don't you think for a music teacher?
Those folks at MD Anderson are possibly the best communicators I have ever been around. Not much falls through. If I email the PA for my head and neck doc, I get a response within the hour, even if it is: I'll look at your case file and give you a call in the morning. If you leave a message on his phone, he gets back. I don't have any other large cancer center to compare with but their organization in general is to be envied by the rest of the business entities of the world, medical or not.
Anne

Anne,
definitely get your meds lined up before you need them. You don't want to go to the ER on a weekend or weeknight for pain meds. I would suggest a script for Diflucan as well because you will more than likely get a candiasis (thrush) bloom once the treatment alters the pH in your mouth.

My MO handled all of my meds. At MDA they probably have a pain management team and will set you up. An anti-anxiety med wouldn't hurt a bit either.

IMO the MO is the best choice (and most qualified) for med management. After all body chemistry is what oncology is all about.

My pain meds were:

"Long term": Fentanyl patches, starting with 25 mcg working up to 75 mcg, 72 hour time release. They take 24 hours to reach the full therapeutic level on the first patch.

"Short term": (breakthough): Morphine sulfate, 15mg, as needed.

They will adjust the balance between the long term and short term meds as you go by a process called titration. In other words if you are taking too many short term meds, they will adjust your long term meds upward. They can go as high as 500 mcg with Fentanyl but that is very unlikely for H&N pain. The highest dose I have heard of here was 150 mcg.

If you get Fentanyl be very careful about following the directions for usage to the letter. It is the most powerful pain killer there is and is 100X stronger than Heroin. It is safe as long as used exactly as directed.

"Pink Magic" Swish & spit: For very short term pain relief to allow eating, drinking, procedures, etc., Lidocaine, Morphine & Benedryl

Anti-anxiety - Zanax

Pepcid AC (Famatodine) chemo does a number on the GI system

There were other meds, like antibiotics for infections, steroids for the burns, salves (like Radiacare) for the radiation burns on the skin (never have anything on the skin prior to radiation treatment, only apply it afterwards). At the CCC where I was treated they gave me free samples at the RO nurses station.

http://www.amazon.com/RadiaCare-Gel-Hydrogel-Wound-Dressing/dp/B000BF5JEQ

Narcotics cause serious side effects like constipation so have stool softeners, Preparation H, etc. Have a long talk with your nutritionist about how to avoid constipation IMO it was one of the worst side effects - right up there with mouth sores.

Anti-emetics are a must if getting adjunctive chemo, like Zofran or Emend (?).

Most of these meds can be in liquid form also if you decide on a feeding tube.

STAY HYDRATED!

Last edited by Gary; 01-05-2011 11:05 PM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Gary,
Sounds like great advice. Thanks.
Anne

Anne, Gary is right on the money all the way down. I used Ativan for anxiety and still do, and Percocet/Oxycodone for pain. And I was gobbling those guys like candy during treatment. For the last 2 weeks of same I had a 25 mcg Fentanyl patch to help. I was still in pain, but the Fentanyl I think smoothed things out.

Ditto Diflucan and Zofran. I found the latter didn't really help and it wasn't until I discovered good old Compazine several months after RT ended that I got some relief from 24 hour a day nausea. And I didn't have chemo, so the nausea was caused by the radiation alone. I hadn't expected that. My doc also put me on Prilosec right off the bat as she anticipated gastric issues, and she was right.

The constipation issue is a real bummer. (sorry.... couldn't resist) Something to be taken very seriously where long term opiate use is involved.

I may have mentioned in an earlier post that the best stuff I found for my skin when the burns got bad near the end was Silver Sulfadiazine cream. It's another old-line med, like Compazine, and it's great. You'll also probably get a topical like Miaderm for everyday use.

It's great that we have all these wonderful chemicals to help us out. They really do!

Best.
d2

David 2

Thanks David,
I forgot to mention Ativan - I took that also but mainly as an anti nausea med and also Compazine suppositories when I was throwing everything else up before it could take effect. The doctor also recommended placing an Ativan in the suppository as well.

I also took Vicodin until I discovered that the acetomeniphen in it is a liver killer (I also have Hep C - not discovered until my blood tests at the CCC - oh happy day!). UCSFCCC, protocol, is for all H&N patients to be tested for hepatitus antibodies.

I forgot to mention 'Desonide" cream for itching. NEVER scratch the irradiated skin area during or immediately after Tx.

I also had occasional bouts with chronic hiccups that really sucked. You'll just have to take that as it comes (if it does). Strangely, they would stop while I was eating then immediately resume afterwards.

Be aware that I didn't use a PEG so that complicated many things during and post Tx.

You'll also want a "cold humidifier". Vortex makes the one that I used (and still use).

Many have also recommened "Puffs" facial tissues as they hold together better than other brands. You'll need them for hacking up the stringy mucous that occurs later on in Tx.

You already know about dental trays - I also use a flouride foam, pH neutral, Oral B .9% - it is presciption so you'll want to have your dentist order some.

I started on the patch about 3-4 weeks into Tx and stayed on it until about 3 weeks post Tx. I was weaned off over a month time period to minimize withdrawal.

The radiation fried my neck muscles, so today I take Valium and an occasional Codiene for the pain and/or spasms, as needed. It's not all of the time.

Your pain threshold should never exceed a "3" - always use the number system when describing your pain levels to the clinicians.

Your immune system will crash so make sure that your environment is as clean and disinfected as possible, keep waterless hand cleaner with you, wear gloves when touching anything the public touches, ATM keypads, gas pumps, door knobs, shopping carts, etc. and never get within 25" of a sick person.

Last edited by Gary; 01-06-2011 12:52 PM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Hi Anne,

I've been trying to get here since we last spoke on the phone. As I told you, you are getting the best advice possible from the most knowlegable and caring people I know.

Good luck next week. Seems like you got your start date moved up from the 14th. Is that right?

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Jerry,
I have had several appointments change, but it is set that Jan 11 I have my appointment with the dentist there to make something for my tongue, and then I have the simulation. Then several other appointments during the week. Not sure when the RT starts, as it is not marked. But we are moving into the apartment Jan 10, my husband is flying back after the next weekend, then flying to Houston again the following Friday. I think I feel better about things then when we talked.

I had not cried this entire time, and spent two days crying at the slightest provocation. I heard from people I had not communicated with in years, like my best friend from high school; I don't count that one a slight provocation. It was "a large good thing". Mostly I cannot believe so many individuals care as much as they shown me, and it is overwhelming. I can never fully express to them what it means to me.

I have to go back to my classroom this morning to make some additional recordings for my sub. Then I can rest knowing I've done the best I can getting my classes ready. Tonight we have a big dinner in a fairly elegant restaurant (for Kansas) and our daughter and my brother will be there along with my husband's staff. The staff did not get our usual holiday dining out experience this year, so we decided this weekend would be good for it, and I think it will be.

Sorry this is sooo long. Thanks for your tremendous help.
Anne

Anne, there's no such thing as "sooo long". We're all here to listen and to help, as others have done for us and you will surely do for others once you've made your recovery.

The dinner sounded great, what a nice event for everyone. I was also so gratified to read of the old friends coming out of the woodwork. They must be good friends indeed to offer to help at this time of greatest need. I hope you'll lean on them freely.

We're here, as the saying goes, 24/7.

All the best.
David 2

David 2

Anne,

Never too long, as David said.

Please keep me posted, one way or another.

You are in my thoughts and prayers all the time.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

It is typical for RT to start within days of the simulation, if not the very next day. Scheduling and machine down time sometimes affect the schedules in RO. You will be amazed at how many people get treated on these things. UCSFCCC has 4 LINACS and 2 shifts. If one goes down, their schedule is toast. It's not uncommon, also, to have delays during treatment while the machines are being fixed. The machine I was being treated on broke down at least 3 times during my treatment. I was grateful for the time off but I also wanted to get done in a timely manner. I used to service and install systems in LINACs and I can tell you that they are a 9 1/2 ton, piece of precision mechanical and electronics, accurate to 1 mm.

Always be on time or a little early for your RT appointments. The rooms are kept cold also so ask for blankets and extra pillows as needed. The treatment "couches" are hard. Bring your own music with you. Most treatment rooms have boom boxes or stereos. I slept through many of my treatments.

Ask your doctor for a handicapped placard (or to sign the DMV paperwork) so you don't have so far too walk once you're in treatment - you'll need it.

Gary Allsebrook
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I was very fortunate that Moffitt's one and only IMRT at that time didn't malfunction once during my Tx. I was warned by their staff to expect it but it didn't happen to me.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Anne

You have gotten so much good advice that I don't have anything original to add except to repeat Christine's advice about getting your TSH level checked. It's a simple blood test and MD Anderson may well do it automatically for all I know BUT you really should ask them to do one. While my CCC doctors were top notch on Cancer, for related issues like Thyroid & PEGs- "not so much".
After IMRT, I was not only extremely tired but also froze for two years, even in summer, and kept a winter coat on in air conditioned places yet I was constantly told: "Your TSH levels are normal" and I did not ask for the actual numbers or test results. Turns out however there is controversy over what is the right TSH level with labs having a 5.5, a 4.5 even though endocrinologists who went to Medical school the 21st Century consider 3.0 as the highest acceptable level. Before TX, I had a TSH of 1.6 and after TX it shot up to 4.3. Now that I am "on the pill", I am finally warm again and back to 1.48

The key is to know what your TSH level is before IMRT so you can get back to it. It's not good enough to be "in the range" of normal, you want to recover to what you were. It's one of the few areas we can actually do that.
Best wishes
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 01-09-2011 08:04 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

All of you are amazing. I feel like I would have a hard time keeping all those meds straight. Only a few have I heard of.

We are in Houston tonight and start things tomorrow. But I don't think the radiation therapy will start until next week.

Snow in Kansas and Oklahoma and even Dallas, but none of course in Houston.

My fellow teachers put together two baskets of goodies and cash to take on the road. Another totally unexpected random act of kindness . . . A friend emailed me: our thoughts and prayers are with you, show them down there what a tough Kansas girl can do!

But of course none of them understand quite the way folks do on this forum.

Best,
Anne

Amen to to Charms always cold. I can't add anything to what good advice you are getting. Good luck and make the best of everything as it can get tough.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hello to all,
Thanks for all your help. Chemo is being added to my IMRT, results of microscopic extracapsular extension on my one involved lymph node. I am feeling much better about this than I thought possible. Just glad someone is getting it right from the "new" beginning, this time at MD Anderson. My medical oncologist told me: your lymph node is not a recurrence, it had to be there before your original excisional surgery--it was just not detected early on, because it was so small. . . . I really don't blame anyone for this, it just happened.

Everything was small: my original scc on my tongue and my lymph node, but the path report was moderately well differentiated, so obviously there are some wilder types out there, maybe we don't know. But doc says those kind are mostly easier to kill.

In fact, both my RO and MO think they have a good shot at curing, in part because everything was so small. I have 30 rad and 6 chemo (cisplatin). I have lots of confidence in them. We are starting middle of next week. Still have a little edema from my neck,tongue surgery 3 weeks ago. Not too bad, though.

I have gained 5 lbs, so am now 115, I am still working to gain some more. My appetite is great, and I have good energy. We meet tomorrow to talk more about meds with radiation folks, schedule, etc. MO said she/they would be in control from the beginning with nausea issues. "It's rough, but we will get you through it." I believe!

Again, thanks. I have the names of many of your suggested meds written down. Most of all, though, it helps to know so many of you have perservered, even if it meant taking additional treatments. (also impressive to me) At school, I have a sign that has 10 suggestions for success: mostly they all begin with "Try", with variations like, "try again," "try again a little differently", and "ask someone else who's done this and try again". It applies to virtually everything in a person's life, not just school.

Yes, I know I will have side effects, some long term. I'll deal with them and get help. When I start my treatment I will post under the treatment forum.

Best to all,
Anne

Hi Anne: I am also new to cancer (about a month since an initial diagnosis of SSC). They found the primary tumor on the base of my tongue; it's HPV+, metastatic to lymph node. I am working with a cancer center close to home (Baystate in Springfield, MA) but tomorrow have an appointment with three doctors at Dana-Farber in Boston. I don't have much to offer by way of advice, just wanted to let you know that I will be thinking of you and sending good thought your way. We are at the beginning of our journeys and we have to believe that we can do it. We can. As I know more about my condition I will pass along whatever might be helpful to you. Best, Michelle

SCC left tonsil, stage IV, HPV+, metastatic to one lymph node. Biopsy 12/23/10; tonsillectomy 1/13/11; DX 1/25/11; Peg in 1/28/11. Peg out 6/29. TX 1/31/11-3/21/11: 35 IMRT plus 3 Cisplatin. Pet-Scan 6/20/11 = CLEAR! Three years out, learning to live with the long-term side effects of radiation while reminding myself to feel blessed.
AnneO Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Michelle Ann,
So are you getting a second opinion at Dana-Farber? Or did your docs want you to see them?

The fact that yours is HPV positive makes it more curable, all and all, so I am told.

Anne O

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members