Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
lee3000 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I'm a junior in high school and I recently noticed a lump in my mouth and it hurts a bit. I've been smoking ciggarettes for about a year and a half. I also smoked marijuana frequently and drank alcohol a couple of times. I looked up the symptoms of oral cancer and it sounded like I had a couple of them. A sore in my mouth, a whitish patch, and also my two top front teeth are making a small gap between them. I took off my braces about a year ago. Can anyone tell me if its possible that I have oral cancer at 16? Thanks in advance

Supporting Member (50+ posts)

WOW!!! I am glad you found the site and decided to get on. Oral cancer in the upper maxilla is rare. I am one of the few on here to have it. I am wondering if you notice that one or both of the teeth where the space is are darker than the others. In my case one of the teeth was dying and getting dark. I am also wondering how long you have noticed this stuff? I hate to say but anything is possible, especially with a rare form of oral cancer. I was low risk but got it at 31. If you have noticed these for a couple weeks I would suggest making an appt with a maxillofacial oral surgeon for a biopsy. If you cannot get in soon you can explain to them you need a biopsy and see if they can get you in sooner. They are usually pretty good.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me by private message or email.

31 at dx 9/06
SCC T4N0M0 with bone invasion upper maxillary
Surgery 10/06
CT's clear for 2 years
2nd recurrence - Laser surgery 1/09 dx
Tumor board - No surgery to invasive for QOL
35 IMRT 3/30/09 Completed 5/15/09
8 tx Erbitux 3/24/09 Completed 5/6/09
HBO for ORN March & April 2010
Fibula flap 5/10
lee3000 Offline OP
OP Offline

Well its only been about a week and I know its still too early to know for sure. I'm a little weary of telling my parents this because they don't know I smoke or drink. I decided to stop smoking for a while or possibly forever to see if the symptoms disappear But I was wondering has there ever been a case where someone got oral cancer at a young age like 16? Oh and the teeth are still the same color. Thanks

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

The only one that can tell you if you have OC is the ENT or whoever does a biopsy on it. If it is positive, then you can start worrying. Go find a good ENT for this. Good luck and calm down.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Oh yes, if I was your parent, something else would be sore and it sure isn't near your head. LOL I raised 3 and all 3 listened and knew better than smoking , drugs or booze.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
lee3000 Offline OP
OP Offline

LOL. My mom would have a heart attack if she found out about what I've been doing so going to my parents is kind of out of the question. I guess my only choice right now is to wait it out for a while...

The best choice is to tell them about your escapades. It will all come out in the open anyway. If they are like me, the truth makes things easier for you. They wil be too worried until you are biopsied to punish you more than a few choice words LOL

lee3000 Offline OP
OP Offline

Sorry, but what does biopsied mean? Is it like losing parts of your gums and tongue from surgery like I've been reading about in some of the other posts?

I agree that the truth will be better especially knowing that you are facing a possible horrible thing like cancer. And YES, it is possible to get oral cancer at a young age and it has happened. If you are not up to telling your parents and are thinking about waiting DO NOT WAIT very long. A couple weeks as this stuff is nasty and I would rather you get treatment at an early stage instead of waiting and it grow too much.

31 at dx 9/06
SCC T4N0M0 with bone invasion upper maxillary
Surgery 10/06
CT's clear for 2 years
2nd recurrence - Laser surgery 1/09 dx
Tumor board - No surgery to invasive for QOL
35 IMRT 3/30/09 Completed 5/15/09
8 tx Erbitux 3/24/09 Completed 5/6/09
HBO for ORN March & April 2010
Fibula flap 5/10
lee3000 Offline OP
OP Offline

I just found out that I have a dentist appointment next week for a check up. Do dentists know stuff about this?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics