Once one had been diagnosed with cancer and even when it had been successfully treated, it is difficult and close to impossible to completely free oneself from the fear that it may come back. Some people are better than others in living with this uncertainty, and those who adjust well to this reality end up being happier and are more able to go on with their lives than those who do not.

We have to accept the reality that we would always have to live with the threat of cancer�s return and that physical examination and vigilance would be the best way of monitoring my condition. Accepting this may be difficult, but is worth while.

What helps me cope with my worries is that I try to first wait a few days before I seek medical help unless it is an urgent problem. Happily the majority of my problems and symptoms seem to go away within this time. I also learned not to panic but use my past experience and the knowledge that I had gained about my illness and try to rationalize and understand what I feel and experience.

I hope that over time you will get better in coping with the uncertain future and learn to accept it and live with it striking a balance between fear and acceptance.

I Brook MD