Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"OCF Down Under"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

AS I have not been able to open my mouth much due to the lock jaw, I havent had a really good look at my tongue. Today after some accupuncture my mouth was much less stiff and I had a really good look. It appears that the tongue, or at least scar tissue at the site of surgery, has fused to both the floor of my mouth and partly to my very back molars. I was able to get a finger in there painfully and push it off the teeth but the part that is stuck to the floor of my mouth is stuck solid and hurts to try and push it off. I think its scar tissue- I do have a tendency toward kelloid tissue. Has anyone had this happen? I've made an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow but I'm terrified of having to have more surgery frown
help please!

Monica,33 Mum of 3. Former smoker
SCC right lateral tongue. Intially thought to be cell dysplasia and dx as SCC after surgical excision.
Nov 2010- partial glossectomy (1cm in width), partial neck dissection. Margins clear, nothing found in nodes- YAY! Benign tumor on saliva gland.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Since your surgery was only last month it is still swollen. It can take months for swelling to completely subside. If you are worried then you are doing the right thing with seeing the doctor. Its not possible to tell you what it is over the computer. Just cuz it doesnt look right to you that doesnt mean you will need any future operations.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

thanks Christine. Its swollen yes but also stuck to the bottom of my mouth which is worrying

SCC right lateral tongue. Intially thought to be cell dysplasia and dx as SCC after surgical excision.
Nov 2010- partial glossectomy (1cm in width), partial neck dissection. Margins clear, nothing found in nodes- YAY! Benign tumor on saliva gland.
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

saw my doc- nothing to worry about grin
Its not stuck just very stiff. need to keep doing the tongue exercises and use my fingers to move the tongue around so it doesn't atrophy. phew

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Phew is right!!!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Glad that you do not have a problem. When in doubt, always go see a doctor. Bet you feel so relieved!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

yes relieved smile
but still worreid about long term effects- I guess it will never be the same again. It still seems that the side that was operated on has more attached to the floor of mouth than the other side does- but I guess that's because they've cut a centimetere off it and I'm looking at like it should be the same as the other side. I'm worried I'll never be able to kiss my partner passionatley again or talk without a lisp.

For those who've had a similar partial glossectomy (without a free flap) - what's it like kissing now? Do you still have speech defects?

That can last a long time. I still can't atick this part of a tongue out. Don't try to force it out as you could make it worse and create hugh pain. LOL I just had to return a call to the Lodge and that poor guy could only understand part of our conversation. I ended up spelling what I had to tell him. So go easy and like everything, it takes time.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

My tongue actually did get "tied" by scar tissue after my mandiblectomy. When I had the nerve graft surgery they clipped the scar tissue anchoring my tongue and did another skin graft rebuilding some of the lining in my mouth to help function. Now my function isn't great but it works and eating solids, talking is better.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

My tongue is actually "tethered" (surgeon's terminology) to the floor of my mouth from the surgery, but the surgeon had told me going into the surgery that it would be. I can't stick my tongue out very far either. I guess eventually I will get used to it. Will be interesting the first time I go to get my teeth cleaned!

Susan
Age 51, married with four kids age 11-18, 9/1/2010, Bx: high grade mucoepidermoid CA left sublingual gland.
10/8/2010, wide excision left floor of mouth, modified radical node dissection left neck.
T1N0M0. IMRT started 11/22.
Never smoked, light social drinker
Also happen to be ICU RN
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912