Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#125650 12-03-2010 05:30 PM
OP Offline

Hi there!

A family member of mine is suffering from oral cancer frown He just had his 3rd recurrence, it's under his jaw this time around. So, there's a new symptom. If he puts pressure on the skin of his throat white-ish discharge starts leaking from a wound on his neck.
If anyone out there has experienced this, I would really appreciate some survivor stories:)
His doctors say that it will stop leaking if and when the chemo starts working, was that true for you?

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

This is a fistula. it is an opening that develops between the area of the cancer site and the outside of the body. Detritus from the damage done to the tissues and body fluids are discharged from the body via this opening. You don't say much about his previous issues, but I would assume that he, in one previous fights, had radiation and therefore is not getting it this time. You also do not mention if he has recently had surgery to remove as much of the cancer as possible. In a third bout with this disease, the weapons/tools we have against it are fairly limited, and those are surgery and chemo. Chemo as a monotherapy, is usually not considered curative in nature in oral/head and neck cancers, but palliative. So depending on what they have had done, (surgery perhaps) this fistula and discharge are a by product of those procedures. That they comment that they are waiting on the chemo to start working makes me believe that they have not approached removal of al the cancer by some sort of salvage surgery. More information would allow us to be more helpful, as in this post I am doing a lot of educated guessing. It goes without saying that all of us here wish for him the best possible outcome from this situation.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics