Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Jack,

I'll be very interested in any additional info you find and look forward to reading your article. Please be sure to post a link.

Catherine, SCC floor of mouth DX 2010,unclear margins, PET scan clear, no chemo or rad,biopsy in 9/2010, 2nd excision 10/2010 didn't get all carcinoma in situ; partial gloss & excis. right floor 2/2/2011 margins clear. Part.gloss-10/5/2011 sev dys clean marg. HPV neg. Don't smoke or drink. SCC floor of mouth left side 4/2016. Dysp excis. rt palate 7/2017 Part gloss sev dys lat marg 2/2019 Part gloss free flap rt neck disc 5/2020 Part gloss bilat neck disc 7/2020 33 rad 3 cis.
Rahel Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Jacko, thanks for your post. I'm just checking back in on the site now, and appreciate hearing from someone else who had a similar experience.

I didn't follow all the details of what you wrote about the "too large" tongue and/or narrow palate, but it sounds really similar to info I got from a dentist who works at the Univ of Pacific dental school in San Francisco. And a prosthodontist at UCSF explained how part of my repetitive tongue behavior is likely related to the shape of my teeth and jaw, since as he explained it, the tongue movements are generally guided by the shape of the surrounding teeth and mouth.

It's all pretty complicated, and hard for professionals to study since it's all inside the mouth, difficult to see and observe. Guess we'll just need to wait for the studies to catch up with our experiences!

Good luck with everything, and thanks again for posting!

Rahel

Leukoplakia 3/07, 34y.o. non-smoker/drinker
Biopsy 3/08: clear (no monitoring suggested - grr)
Biopsy 10/18/10: SCC, Stage 2 1.
Surgery 11/15/10: glossectomy R side oral tongue & partial neck dissection. Margins, nodes & salivary gland clear!
Subsequent MRIs/CTs/PETs: All clear!
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

This has been a very interesting thread. For a long time I have been "chewing" on the left side of my tongue if I fall asleep in a chair. I have definatley gotten a small calis there. But...my cancer was not only HPV positive but was p16 driven, meaning not only did I have the HPV virus at one point but that it "caused" my cancer. It's been frusterating thinking about all the ways I've neglected my health with drugs, booze, butts, not eating well and only speratically excersizing. And then to think truth be told that my cancer was sexually transmitted. It stands to reason that (although I have quit smoking) I have not really been gung ho about changing my lifestyle (except for not wasting time anymore and making the most out of every day)but my sex drive is GONE. Sucks!!! I wonder if given the fact that I have contracted this SCC from the HPV how that effects any chances I might have of getting more cancer from the irritation on my tongue. Probably doesn't change a thing. I'll be down at Tufts for a head and neck cancer lecture by my surgeon Richard Wein and I will be sure to ask.

Lump in left side neck discovered Sept 2009
Misdiagnosed & FNA inconclusive
Large lymph node removed Nov. 2010 SCC and HPV16 pos
PET pointed tonsilectomy Feb. 2011
1ml tumor left side tonsil
Rads scheduled March 14th 2011. 2X36 GY's (72)
CarboTaxol once a week X 4 or 5 starting 4/5/11
No PEG
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Yes. take notes!!! I believe that any kind of long term irritation can cause cell changes - it makes sense - re: lung cancer etc..

Have an awesome day hope you're doing well!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I never lost my sex drive but I did loose the ability for a while in the throws of Tx. I was very determined to reclaim ALL of my pre "you've got cancer" life as soon as possible.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

This really is an intriguing thread and reminds me so much of my experience, years ago as a leader/rep with La Leche League, an organization helping mothers who want to breastfeed. We often had mothers who came for help with "plugged ducts" (redness, soreness and lump in one area of the breast) and we would relay the medical advisory board info (as well as personal experience) that this was due to (as one doctor noted) an "indiscretion on the part of the mother" i.e. wearing a too tight bra, wearing a bra at night or not completely emptying the breast at each feeding. This type of "irritation" was very simply taken care of by applying heat or standing in the shower with very warm water running over the breast and massaging it downward. Research does indicate that there is less breast cancer among women who breastfeed, but I wonder about the connection between the plugged duct, breast mastitis or breast cancer. Looking forward to more info on this chronic irritation theory.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Rahel-

Has anyone heard anymore on possible exercises or guards that may be able to help here? Post surgery- I am finding it very uncomfortable & my tongue is definitely seeming too big for my mouth. I am wearing my mouth guard pretty religiously & am working with my dentist to improve it.

The dentist at Sloan said if this remains an issue post radiation they could always do a root canal )assuming mouth can still open wide enough) and shave the teeth all the way down.

Maybe my tongue will fit again after enough time passes after my rads cycle.

Please keep posting with any new findings!!

Thanks!!

Sally, 38 years old
T1N0M0 Left Tongue Lesion, Moderately Differentiated
10 + year history Leukoplakia, Mild Dysplasia before cancer diagnosis 8/2011
Scheduled Partial Glossectomy & Neck Dissection 9-17-11
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Your tongue should fit normally at some point in nov 4 I will be 6 months out of rads - as time has passed my tongue has shrunk considerably. My SO saw it last week and said he could debulk it at some point - I saw my plastics guy and told him this and he said nope. - wait. radiation is a natural debulker! (I felt the same way I figure I'll wait a year or so. And then see) however because the new side was so swollen It was jamming my old side up against two misaligned teeth I have in the back causing welts and pain. I told my dental oncologist this and told him I wanted the teeth filed down.. He did it... Even though he kinda scoffed at the irritation theory - but let me tell you the welts are gone and so is the pain... And cell change can be brought on by chronic irritation... Just look at lung cancer... smile I know you didn't have a reconstruct so you should heal faster.. Good luck!!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users