Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Sandy,

As with everyone else...go see an expert (ENT) and have a biopsy done which as said before is the ONLY way to tell if you have cancer or not.

When you've done that and gotten the results, either negative or positive...go back and kick your dentist in the sack for being an insensative, unprofessional dick. Nothing causes more mental/emotional trama then hearing the word cancer and your dentist should know this.

The saying on these forums is "it's NOT cancer until a BIOPSY says it is." so try to keep your mind from racing out of control. Even if it happens to be true, this forum is proof that it isn't the end of the world.

Oh, glad you found OCF, sorry you had to.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
EricS #124748 11-16-2010 09:16 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

It blows my mind that your dentist would tell you that you have cancer based solely upon seeing white areas on your gums. Did he/she suggest anything you should do about it?

You have been given good advice already and you should go to a competent dentist, oral surgeon or an ENT.

Remember it is impossible to diagnose cancer by looking.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
EricS #124749 11-16-2010 09:18 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Eric and everyone, I also realized that he should of done more in checking things out at my appointment today. He also could of taken a biopsy as well. He referred me to someone who when I called, didn't take my type of problem. They had no idea why this Dentist referred me. He used a lot of big words and could of cared less that I didn't know what he was talking about. My mind has been racing out of control, like you said but am better tonight just from reading a lot of the posts here. Thanks so much Eric and everyone for being so supportive.

Last edited by sandeshells; 11-16-2010 09:19 PM.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Sandy, welcome to OCF. A biopsy usually takes a week for the results. Worrying wont change anything so try your best to stay busy to keep your mind off it. Ive had biopsies done by my oral surgeon or my ENT. Dentists usually dont do biopsies. A biopsy is the only way to tell for sure what is going on inside your mouth. If you dont have an appointment yet with an oral surgeon or and ENT, make one with a doctor who is familiar with oral cancer.

Ive had biopsies done where they knocked me out, one done where I had my mouth numbed and one done without anything. To be honest, it wasnt a big deal and being put to sleep wasnt necessary for me. Its usually a 3 visit procedure. First is the exam and consult where you decide how you want the biopsy done (awake or asleep). Second visit is the biopsy and third is the results.

Wishing you the best and hope that it turns out to be nothing.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

He said I needed to be checked out because "I probably had tissue cancer". I really don't have many symptoms except that my gums are white, ear aches. On the referral note it said Leukoplakia. He said many times, that it doesn't look normal. I plan on calling my Ear Doctor tomorrow and see if he won't take a biopsy and if he doesn't do that, have a an appointment in Gainesville on Friday with my regular Dr. and will get a referral then. I think my Dr wasn't very professional from talking to you all and also my friends. I do feel better already. I knew it wasn't a "for sure" but the way he said it and the fact he didn't say it could be anything else at the time, I couldn't help but worry. Later I saw the word Leukoplakia on the referral paper. I haven't really looked into that much yet.
You, guys have been great in your support. I hope it's not serious but, if it is, I found a great support board. I didn't realize how so many people could have this and how important those regular check ups are at the dentist. Thanks again for everything.

OP Offline

Thanks Christine, Wow, that was informative.. thanks.

There is a search function on the forum and also on the main OCF pages. Please check it out. You will see that not all leukoplakia turns to cancer. How long has this been there? Anything longer than 2 weeks needs to be checked out.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
ChristineB #124758 11-16-2010 09:49 PM
OP Offline

Christine, Actually I don't know. The light in my bathroom is very poor and can't see it at all. At the dentist office today he showed me using a bright light and a mirror and it looked as if my entire mouth was white where ever I had missing teeth. (missing a lot in the back)

Sounds like you have had a serious case ~ I am so sorry. I just never realized any of this could happen to people.. I feel so sad, not for me anymore but for all of you. I hope you're better now. I think I was in panic today but am so much better, thanks again everyone for your support.

There is something called thrush which turns your mouth (especially your tongue) white. Thrush is uncomfortable, to some its painful. Oral cancer is usually a tumor, not just white all around your mouth. The real way to find out is to see another doc who is experienced with oral cancer.

Thanks for your compassion. Im doing ok. I am very very thankful for getting thru oral cancer 3 times and still being around to tell about it.

Im happy that you are calmer now about the situation. Getting upset only makes you feel bad, it isnt productive at all. This is exactly why I still hang around OCF, people like you who need help. Someone who is new and scared and doesnt know which way to turn. Everybody needs a hand sometimes. Please try to stay busy so you dont have time to worry.

Today was a scary day for you, tomorrow will be better. Now you know what needs to be done and that IF it would be cancer then you can get thru it.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
OP Offline

Well umm I got an appointment for Monday with my Ear and throat Dr. Please recommend to new people not to look around this site. It's informative but scary. I am glad you're here but wish I hadn't gotten out of my own little thread. I was up all night last night reading and then some today. I don't think I could do anything you all have done. I suppose if I had people that loved me and a reason to go through hell but I don't. Scary stuff, Sandy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics