Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#123983 11-02-2010 09:53 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi
This is my first post. I have been lurking a couple of weeks trying to gather information.
I have an appointment with an ENT tomorrow.
Started having vague symptoms about four or five months ago.
I was just feeling extra tired and a lot pain in my upper back. Since I have degenerative disc disease in my neck I thought it was just progressing down the spine. It was bothering me enough to see a doctor and they ordered an mri which didn't show anything to warrant the amount of pain I was having.
Four weeks ago I noticed I was having trouble swallowing my breakfast. I looked in the mirror and my tongue was very swollen. I coudln't even see the back of my throat. Also I have a lump on the side that has been there for over a year that I had ignored. My tongue now was very mishshaped on that side. I went to the er and they gave me a shot for an allergic reaction and script for predisone and benydryl. A couple of days later my tongue was less swollen and I started looking in my mouth and noticed I had lesions with dark purple/red in the back area of the tongue. I also noticed white patches on the tonsils, behind the molars and roof of my mouth.
I saw a nurse practioner at the clinic and she prescribed penicillin. I have just about finished it, 2000 mg per day and my symptoms have just gotten worse.
My throat hurts like strep throat, I have sharp pains in my ear,some ringing,my jaw is tender to touch and my voice gets hoarse very easily.. It is very hard to eat and I have no taste or everything tastes the same(lost ten pounds in two weeks). I only eat soft foods. My tongue and roof of mouth which look the worse are not painful.
The lymph nodes in my chest area are very painful to touch but not in my neck.
I'm hoping there is a logical explanation for all this but since I have had the herpes virus for ten years and this has all been going on for about four weeks I'm consumed with panic. I'm hoping for a biopsy tomorrow. What questions should I ask the doctor?
Any thoughts?
It is on both sides but much more severe on the right.
I have looked at a lot of photos and to my dismay the ones with SCC look very similar to what I see in the mirror.
Of course I know it is not cancer until a biopsy says it is.
My blood work looked good other then elevated liver and having some very high bp issues. It was 215/115 at last clinic visit.
They have also scheduled a diagnostic mammogram.

I'm 54, have no health insurance or job and limited resources.
A local clinic and hospital are working with me so far.

Sorry for the long post.
I'm so hapy that this place is here. Information is a powerful tool.

Thanks for listening
Brenda

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Brenda, Welcome to the forum. I sure hope you get a good report tomorrow! Will keep you in thoughts and prayers.

Dodie
Also in NC

Aunt diag. 2/4/10 with SCC Stage I/II on left side of tongue. Surgery 2/19/10 part. gloss./neck diss. on left side/free flap from chest muscle. TI/II,NO,MO. Clear margins with perineural invasion. Started rads 4/8/10 - 35 treatments, finished 5/26/10.
penners #124010 11-02-2010 01:16 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Dodie

No matter the outcome I will certainly always feel more grateful for the many things I take for granted.

Brenda

Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Brenda,

Good luck tomorrow insists on a biopsy don't take no for an answer. I wish I knew back then what I know now.

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Brenda, welcome to OCF. I hope you have a good appointment tomorrow with the ENT. Hope they will do a biopsy and then you will finally know what is going on.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank you Connie
I do plan to be aggressive in my plea for a biopsy. He will have to have a very strong arguement or firm dx for me to back down.
I have been through a lot in my life but nothing has ever frightened me more then this.

Not to sound harsh to doctors and what they do as I'm sure I have no idea what they face day to day but I do have to wonder how many more would be alive and especially how many would have suffered less if that one extra test had been done or ordered.

Brenda

OP Offline

Hi Christine
First of all thank you for all the support you give the members here. I have been lurking long enough to know you are a very generous and caring person.

Yes, I'm very worried because I have way too many symptoms that match for oral cancer and it isn't just that but it is the way I feel and a gut feeling.
I remember once being called back after a mammogram for another view and ultrasound. They decided I was fine and the nurse said don't walk but run out of here. You don't know how lucky your are!!
I hope tomorrow I hear something very similar.
My nerves have certainly taken over!!

Do you know how long it usually takes for biopsy results if they do one?

Brenda

Don't walk out without a biopsy. Mine took 7 days to come back.

Good Luck keep us posted.

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Brenda first of all you are in the right place. I have been lurking and reading for about 2 weeks and this is my second posting, I am glad I came in tonight.

I too have had an experience with mammography that turned out alright at the end of the day, I understand the experience Brenda. And I understand this experience as well, especially the fear you are living with right now. You are doing the right thing facing this and going forward. I sat in front of a board in my early days of wondering what was going on, I too was scared and they guided me thru gently.

May I suggest something for your appointment tomorrow? Write down in point form the symptoms and timelines so you hit the high points with your ENT, he/she will get a clear picture and be able to help you better. You don't want to have to rely on your memory when you are not feeling well and/or nervous.

Brenda keep coming in and posting, I know it helps and we want to be here for you.

See you tomorrow I hope.

Light and blessings,

Nancy

55 yrs, Female, smoked for 4 yrs 35 yrs. ago, SCC right underside tongue and floor of mouth, laser surgery took 1/3 tongue Aug 2010, 3 weeks later in Sept right neck dissection 40 nodes removed with 1microscopic spot in one node. No chemo or radiation.
OP Offline

Hello Meggie

I'm happy you visited here today also.

I read your previous post and see you are recovering from surgery. I'm sure when you are ready you will share your story. For now I wish you a speedy recovery and the best possible outcome.

I'm with you on something needs to be done to raise the awarenesss about oral cancer. If I had known more certainly I would have had that lump on my tongue looked at a long time ago.

Great suggestion to make a list.

Yes, I will share how my visit goes tomorrow.

Thanks for the support it really helps. I have no family or close friends here.

Brenda

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users