Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1238 05-22-2003 02:59 AM
Milton Offline OP
OP Offline

I was just sitting here reading through the messages and got to wondering about the thousands who must be drawing strength from this web site without ever knowing what to say or just not being the type of person who talks about it. For myself, I would like to say welcome. I have been deeply moved by the messages posted. Compared to some of you I just had a minor headache but it was hard for me and I will be 'lurking' if I'm not talking. I need the comradeship a lot of days. So to the silent folks, it is good to have you. Did I say that right? Milton

I have a free book called "First Hand Look At Having Cancer email for download instructions:
[email protected]
#1239 05-22-2003 06:04 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

With 3 million hits this month on the OCF web site, and only a few regular posters here, I know that a lot of people are accessing the information in the core of the site, and visiting the message board without participating. Many just come for the data and information in the core of the web site. Obviously those that visit the message board and post are only a small fraction of all those who come to the OCF site, though even in that group we have more that lurk (to use a cyber term) and read than who participate. Some of this is possibly related to language issues, some is that the existing discussions actually answer the same questions for the readers. This month alone we had visitors from 92 different countries. That in itself I find amazing. 80% of all the hits on the OCF site come from within the US, but we get them from all around the world, and even countries that I had to look up to figure out where they were!! English speaking countries dominate the next group of hits, (the UK, Australia, etc.) followed by countries from Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. Around the world, oral cancer is a much greater problem than it is here in the US. This is primarily due to the higher use of tobacco products, poorer education related to the risks of tobacco, and poorer health care systems. A couple of months ago we began to translate the OCF site into Spanish, and if you look at the top of the oral cancer facts page for instance you will see a link

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#1240 05-22-2003 02:34 PM
DJS Offline

I am one of the silent ones. I have posted once or twice, but mostly I read and gain valuable insight into this life. My husband, I am happy to say is now a 1+ year survivor. Dec. 2001 he was diagnosed with base of tongue cancer, stage 4. After maximum radiation & 2 rounds of chemo, then neck dissection and lots and lots of rest and healing time, he's doing fairly well. He's actually even gained back 10 of the 45 pounds he lost. He was chubby so that helped! Thank you for this site. I read and pray for the others going through what we did. We still live from check up to check up. (we're up to 3 month intervals) Keep up the good work.

#1241 05-22-2003 03:45 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

With that number "87" you have been around a long time, and obviously through a lot as well. Thank you for the words of encouragement, and know that your observations and insights are welcome on the board at anytime. You now have a perspective that will undoubtedly bring something informative and uniquely yours to those newly diagnosed who continue to arrive with questions. Both you and your husband belong to a very special group now...survivors. I wish your husband a trouble free return to a normal life, and years of good health in the future.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23