Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JDR Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello Friends,

My husband completed 12 Rads yesterday and we saw our Oncologist who prescribed Fetanyl for his pain (Husband has been in big pain with tongue sores and not being able to eat/drink much) Anyways. he applied the patch last night about 5PM... Today he has gotten sick 4 to 5 times whenever he tries to even sip a glass of water.. I called our Doc who is going to contact the pharmacy to get us an anti nausea med, but was wondering about your experience? How soon before he could become dehydrated?? We are going into the weekend and a little nervous about that! Thanks so much!

CG to 44 year old husband, Dx: 9/23/10 SCC T2N0M0 (Right Tonsil)

Radiation only started on 10/13/2010
13/33 Radiation Treatments done!
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Ron never got sick from the meds or radiation. But he has had nausea but he just would go to sleep whenever he didn't feel good. He had that Fetanyl in the hospital after his surgery in the Stepdown Unit. when he came home he got Riocet liquid form of course and Vicodin or Percosets for pain. He now goes to pain management and is still getting Vicodin but they gave him Lyrica and he's afraid to use it because of all the "bad shit" they say can happen to you. Yesterda the pain management doc told him they want him to start taking it. I've heard nothing but bad about it from people and I told him no(heard stories bout very bad anger issues)i don't need to fight with him anymore than we do and he told me he won't tell me when he does take them. I told him if I notice a difference in temperment he better let me know if he started taking them. He's supposed to take at night so when he wakes up he's not in so much pain. In the am his mouth swells up and his lips. Does this happen to anybody else? Of course his mouth is dry also. He looks like hell in the morning and when he talks it is like he has a mouth full mush.

CG to Ron
Out of Pain 4/3/13
4/12-lung and under chin growth no treatment
1/13/12 lung biopsy
6/11 recur 6/30 resection #2 Clear margins
Clear 12/10
Surg 5/13/10 neck dis/nodes part gloss/flap R thigh all teeth out
RAD 30 8/10
DX 4/2/10 "Oral Cavity" T3NOMO
12/28/07 Non Hodg Lymph remission 7/08
passed away 4.3.15, RIP Ron, you are greatly missed
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Hi JDR

sorry to hear about your husband, but what you describe sounds pretty much like what happened to us. We had chemo with our radiation which would have made Alex sicker than just radiation (more nausea and ulcers) but because of this, we were given anti-nausea medication up front. Even so, Alex still threw up on occasion. There was so much going on, that we never did figure out whether is was meds, radiation, chemo, cancer or even stress that caused it.

It also sounds like you have done exactly the right thing by calling the doctor. Your doctor would have immediately considered dehydration as a side effect of your husbands nausea which would be why he immediately recommended anti-nausea medication.

Try not to worry too much, you are actually under control and doing all the right things - just don't wait too long in getting the anti-nausea meds into your husband (and don't forget if he is vomiting water he won't be able to keep pills down either so you need injection or patch). Dehydration in a normal adult would not do serious damage over a weekend but you need to consider how thin or sick your husband is and your doctor is best placed to determnine this.

FYI - dehydration is not uncommon in your situation but it doesn't help with how ill the person feels or how fast they bounce back. We actually found that if Alex kept his liquid intake up, he felt better and seemed to cope better with side effects.

Can your husband maybe tolerate some other liquid? Maybe something with a tiny bit of sugar and fizz in it?

good luck, you are doing everything right.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Suez
I understand that you don't want any more anger than you already have but the doctor has recommended it knowing the possible side effect.

It is a fact of life that people only talk about the bad things about drugs but we need to keep it in perspective. Of the 100 people that take Lyrica maybe only 1 will have an anger reaction. Unfortunately that is the patient you hear about as the other 99 who don't have problems say nothing. You are much more likely to have issues with confusion and "feeling weird" than anger.

Have you or your husband explained to the doctor why he doesn't want to take the Lyrica? Maybe once the doc understands your fear he will give you something else?

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
JDR Offline OP
OP Offline

THANK YOU for the quick response! I was able to pick up the prescription for the anti nausea and he was able to take it (around 4PM) and hasn't been sick since.. He is sipping water and even had a "couple" bites of dinner... WHEW! OK now back to worrying about keeping him hydrated with calories and protein!

The nausea made all my other jobs as a CG, impossible, so I am praying THAT doesn't happen again!

He was actually getting sick at the Radiation Appt today and we were both concerned that it would mess with his treatment. Thank God he was able to keep that mouth piece in and the mask on with no nausea problems on the table.

Thanks again for calming me down. Can't WAIT to fast forward to 2011!!! :-)

"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi JDR,

I'm 8weeks out of radiation and chemo and was on 50 Fetanyl patch. They do their job in pain maintenance but just remember to wean of them slowly as I'm having really bad withdrawal symptoms at the moment.

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

JDR,

Get him started on Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC which has a whopping 560 calories in the small 8 oz can. You must either get it over the internet or a faster and sometimes cheaper way is to order it thru the pharm dept at Walgreens or CVS. No prescrip needed. I lived on that stuff well into my 2nd year POST Tx.

Nausea can be triggered by many things assoc with this Tx including dehydration, constipation, chemo, rad, pain meds and even anti nausea meds. Keep on top of as many of these and let's hope you can control it.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
JDR Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi David, I DID buy a case of the Carnation.. He complains that it is "too thick" I have tried watering it down with milk but he still complains... UGH.. Very stressful trying to get someone to eat and drink! I find myself making "Deals" with him all the time!

JDR Offline OP
OP Offline

Minh,
Sorry about your withdrawl symptoms, hope it resolves soon.

JDR - in case it might help, there are acupressure pressure points for relieving nausea. If you Google acupressure + nausea, you'll get a whole bunch of ideas and even a video on it.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics