Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#123694 10-27-2010 12:23 PM
SuzBene Offline OP
OP Offline

My former husband who is my best friend and father of our son was diagnosed with throat cancer last year and a tumor was removed from the base of the tongue December 30, 2009. He then had radiation for 7 weeks, 5 days a week. He had a PEG installed and has been using liquid nutrition, plus for a while he was able to eat a very limited diet. Now the tumor is back, big and aggressive. We just found out today that he will be given chemo treatments (for the first time)and hope that the chemo reduces the size of the tumor to make it possible to operate. The doctor said it was too big and "ingrown" to operate on now. The doctor said if the chemo doesn't work, then it doesn't look good. Any words of wisdom?

Support/former wife of patient.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome to OCF, sorry you had to find this site but sure glad that you did. There are serveral regular posters here that have dealt with recurrances, a few have had multiple and are still here to tell the tale and help navigate others who find themselves on the same path.

The first bit of advice is to make sure your ex hubby is being treated in a CCC (Comprehensive Cancer Center) to give him the best possible chance of survival. A 2nd opinion is always prudent...so take the precaution of having a second opinion from a reputable facility.

We are here to help in any way that we can...but the more information you can give us the more we can be of service.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

SuzBene,

Please consider a 2nd opinion.

CCC's

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm

BEST CANCER HOSPITALS

http://health.usnews.com/health/best-hospitals/cancer-hospital-rankings/

I'm not saying you will be given better options but they can't be worse than those that you have been presented with.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Suz, welcome to OCF. I completely agree with Eric and David about going asap for a second opinion at a cancer center. Ive had oral cancer 3 times in 3 years and consider myself to be one of the lucky ones. Ive had a very long, difficult road the past few years. Last year I was stage IV and never thought I would get thru it. Luckily, I am still here and able to help others.

Please keep posting, we will try to help you. Best of luck with everything.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
SuzBene Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to all who have responded to my post. I wasn't very articulate in my first posting. The opinion my former husband got was the second opinion and from the top-rated cancer center in the country; it was basically a confirmation of the first opinion but with the option of chemotherapy as a palliative. The cancer is "big and aggressive." So, I guess my question is as I will be the primary care-giver, how can I make this as pleasant and pain-free as possible? The doctor said that yes, there are miracles but there won't be one in this case and he is a very compassionate and extremely excellent doctor. Any ideas on how to go forward in a positive way? Thanks so much.

Support/former wife of patient.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Ya just have to THINK positive but keep in the back of your mind the inevitable. That's how I get thru it. I am prepared for the worst but hope for the best and carry on with life as if nothing is wrong. But am very aware it is not a normal life. Is that bad?

CG to Ron
Out of Pain 4/3/13
4/12-lung and under chin growth no treatment
1/13/12 lung biopsy
6/11 recur 6/30 resection #2 Clear margins
Clear 12/10
Surg 5/13/10 neck dis/nodes part gloss/flap R thigh all teeth out
RAD 30 8/10
DX 4/2/10 "Oral Cavity" T3NOMO
12/28/07 Non Hodg Lymph remission 7/08
passed away 4.3.15, RIP Ron, you are greatly missed

Suz,

I've thought seriously about what I would do if I did have a recurrance with a poor prognosis, in fact lately I've thought a lot about it.

As a former WA state resident, I would move back there, smoke a lot of medical marijuana until the pain got to be more then I care to bare...and then check out using the "Death with Dignity" option available in Washington State...or go to Amsterdam where MJ is legal, as is Death With Dignity with the added bonus of legalized prostitution, the last part was supposed to be humor but I understand it's in bad taste.

I find it odd that in every state in the country euthanasia for animals is legal but in all but 2 states we expect humans to suffer until dying naturally. Not sure of the logic in that but it is what it is.

I wouldn't do chemo though after my first experience with it...I would want to be as chemically independant as I could be to try and enjoy the time I had left with the ones I loved. As much quality time as I could get before I decided it was time.

I hope you and your husband find peace in whatever path you choose to take.

Sincerely,

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Suz,

Just want to let you know that my heart goes out to you. My ex-hubby was also my very best friend in the world, and I lost him last Oct to liver cancer resulting from Hep C.

I'm hoping (should be sure) that the MDs will give your ex the pain meds he needs and that you will be able to have some enjoyable times together. All you can do is live each day... and as if nothing is wrong is totally fine, at some point that will likely change. Am sure you are living as best you can and that is all anyone could want or expect.

Glad to see you here where you can find support and understanding

Dodie

Aunt diag. 2/4/10 with SCC Stage I/II on left side of tongue. Surgery 2/19/10 part. gloss./neck diss. on left side/free flap from chest muscle. TI/II,NO,MO. Clear margins with perineural invasion. Started rads 4/8/10 - 35 treatments, finished 5/26/10.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23