Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dawn

I replied to your PM on salvage surgery but after talking with my wife, I wanted to post here also. She reminded me how her beloved grandmother had aggressive surgery for her heart and a pacemaker when she was 81 which let her live until 98. But those extra 17 years caused her nothing but sorrow.
I'm with EricS on this one. No doctor really explained the day to day complications and trials that result from surgery, in my case because they were afraid I'd just fly off to Amsterdam for death with dignity (Oregon has a one year waiting period and all the doctors said without the surgery, I'd have less than that) My grandmother in law had that surgery because she felt her children and grandchildren expected it, and it's true they did not want her to die. However she lived to regret it.
Your dad is already on a feeding tube, surgery or radiation or chemo is not going to get him off one, instead they will make it permanent just like mine. This has to be your dad's decision and while you are an amazing daughter, willing to move cross county to tend to your dad, he deserves to know all the gory details so he can make a choice that works for him. As I PMed you, all the doctors tell me its unrealistic for me to expect to live until 85 but I don't think I'd do it again at that age. I needed to see my son graduate from college and enter law school, so salvage surgery made sense for me. There was a good chance I would not even survive my surgery (8 hours and an ENT surgeon and plastic surgeon taking turns)and I'm 22 years younger than your dad and was in excellent physical shape.
Finally here are two links to what I feel are good articles. they may raise more questions than they answer, but as you say, you are trying to gather information
Treating Recurrence
Toughest time in battling cancer
Again, you are a wonderful daughter and caregiver. Your dad must be very proud of the way he raised you. My prayers are with you at this terrible, terrible time
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 10-20-2010 01:43 PM. Reason: url glitches

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
DawnS Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Charm - thanks for the PM and this note - it really helps to try and put all of this into perspective for us.. I think my dad did mention to my mom he wanted to go to Holland for this reason and I do think he feels like he does not want to leave all of us behind and would like to see his grandchildren grow up.. and has not come to terms with his condition.. and is looking for some way out of this.. We will have the surgeon have a candid conversation with him about the gory details he may endure IF he even makes it through the surgey. Again, thanks for the additional info and links. Dawn

My Dad - 85 yrs old; 9/09 diagnosed T3NOMO; rad/low dose chemo; all clear; 6/10 - L retomolar trigone; more chemo; seems to have shrunk; 10/2010 back - significant ulcerative mass in the left retromolar trigone extending into the left tonsil
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Dawn (what a lovely name - same as my sister's)

You are in a tough situation but you really need to find out from your Dad what his expectations are about life.

My Alex lost his Mum two weeks ago (cancer even rarer than OC) and it has become very clear that she made a decision not to treat or to tell anyone she was dying. Whilst I don't agree with her decision not to tell, I can see why she did it. She opted for no treatment to arrest the cancer and if the family had been informed, she may have felt compelled to seek treatment for her family's sake rather than go gracefully and quickly which she achieved with her usual style.

She came to Australia early July (to say goodbye to her son as it turns out), returned home and was admitted to hospital early August. She died early October after 8 weeks (or thereabouts) of very effective pain management and after refusing to leave hospital (she said)

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Charm,

thank you for sharing your thoughts for everyone to read my friend. You never cease to amaze me.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics