Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#121087 08-29-2010 05:38 PM
thurlow Offline OP
OP Offline

I've been feeding thru my g-peg the canned product, "Compleat" for the last several months. (I can't eat or drink thru mouth.) My evening feedings cause me regurgitation and severe tummy upset; it's like I have acid reflux. I tried an anti-acids, horrible - messes with my stomach acidity I need for digestion. One natural-path suggested I wasn't getting enough acid for digestion. I tried a little lemon before feeding with varied results. Any suggestions 'cause I'm starting to lose weight again.

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I found that over more than a year on the PEG I had to rotate various nutritional supplements to keep my stomach calm, and whether it was true or not, I had some feeling that I was varying my nutrition intake as well. It is no surprise that a homeopath would indicate more acid for too much acid... typical homeopathy concepts which lack evidence based proof of effectiveness. What has your gastro doctor suggested for you?

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Several tricks Ive used have helped me with being nasueous. Slow down the feedings, always sit up when being fed, water down the formula. Usually slowing down the feeding and adding a can of water work for me. I use the pump and several times have taken the speed all the way down to 20 for a few days and it worked magically. It could also simply be your formula. I went thru 4 before I found one I could tolorate.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Even though I have always had a cast iron stomach and was able to tolerate gravity feed right from the start and have progressed to all syringe feedings, I did get some indigestion from evening feedings. So I stopped them and upped my breakfast and lunch feedings to two cans each. I have one can mid afternoon and use the Vitamix for dinner at six oclock. No more food after that and no more indigestion.
I've only used Jevity and Ensure and not Compleat so can't comment on that. It is so frustrating that feeding tube patients get so little followup and help with problems.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Like Christine, my Alex had dramas with the speed of administration with canned "food". In an attempt to get it over and done with he would pump 4 or 5 syringefuls of "goop" into his PEG in about 2 minutes. This was the equivalent of a full meal and it came as no suprise when he complained of feeling sick and bloated AND suffered from reflux. It made him avoid the process which caused serious weight loss. We now use a pump and get 3 meals in overnight over about 8 hours. The "goop" we use is called Nutrison concentrated and here in Australia costs us about $600 a month as it is not on insurance. Alex has even speeded that up to 6 hours but that is sometimes too quick when he is feeling unwell from treatment.

The other piece of advice that ChristineB gave us at the beginning was to go with products recommended by the hospital (?prescribed). I made the mistake of trying body building supplements and liquid breakfast preparations which just did not have enough of anything in them. We learned the hard way and ended up with Alex in hospital weighing 48kg (105lbs). At 6'1" this was not pretty and frightened me more than the cancer.

We also learned that skinny and going through treatment is way worse than going through at a decent weight with good hydration. We finally got his weight up to 60kgs (135lbs) which is still not great but boy it made a difference to his ability to tolerate treatment. Alex is now the star patient.

You sound like you know all this and are working hard to keep your weight up which is great but so difficult if it is no fun for you let alone making you sick. Have you considered why it is the evening feeds? What are you doing or what is happening that is different to your other feeds? Maybe too late at night or you sit differently causing some sort of constriction? Do you lie on the lounge at night allowing undigested goop to travel north instead of south? An upright position might help or feed earlier in the evening? Or feed in smaller increments? Or discuss with your nutritionist the use of an overnight pump? Is there an evening medicine that you are taking that may have nausea or stomach upset as a side effect? Chantix? Nicotine patches? Pain killers? Or a medicine that you should be taking on an empty stomach or one that should be taken with food?

I would also reconsider the naturopath's advice. Not enough acid for digestion? Not possible (or relevant). Your stomach produces enough hydrochloric acid to degrease a small garage (attempt at humour here - I have no idea how much hydrochloric acid is required to degrease a garage :))! Also be careful with antacids that you buy yourself - they can interfere with the actions of other drugs you might be taking. My Alex was given something for reflux (and is NOT an antacid)which was prescribed by his oncologist which has been very effective.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

i take 9 bottles of multifibre fortisip per day ( 4 feeds of 2 and a quarter) plus 3 lots of half syringe of calogen. i'm 10% heavier than 1 week post surgery at 87kg ( 196lb ) and the dietician & district nurse are happy with that 1.85m (6ft2).
i've found if i feed to fast i get mild indigestion and loose movements next morning, worked out to time each syringe at a minute or so + water flush before and after so takes 8min + . we only get chocolate & vanilla options in fortisip so mix 50/50 otherwise find to sickly when it repeats / mild burps.

45 yrs. peg tube jan 07/09 TOTAL GLOSSECTOMY jan 12/09
T3NOscc oral(ex smoker )
open tracheostomy , removed oct 12/09
modified neck dissection lymph nodes I to IV
rectus abdominal flap + full dental removal
30 day radiation treatment ,diagnosed with lung cancer oct 2011

Is tht there anything but watter we can drink when in recovery!!!!!!!!!

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

GrammaJulie,

Recovery from what?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23