Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hillary Offline OP
OP Offline

help,

i went to the dentist and he noticed a white patch on retromolar area, behind my last molar, anyway, ive spent numerous hours on the net to find any pictures that might match, nothing really comes close, and then i looked the other day and the other side of my gums, behind the molar, same spot yet opposite side, showing a bit of whitish color, that of the other side, does cancer spread that way, going on both sides of bottom gums same area, im just scared and trying to figure out what it is, i asked the dentist if he had seen anything like it, he says no, but wouldnt he know what cancer looks like, i've been waiting 28 days now for results, and with being a single parent with two young kids, this is killing me, anyon

Hillary
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hillary

What results are you waiting for? Have you had a biopsy done on each white patch? If you had a biopsy taken, it should take about a week to get the results. Please call the doctor who did the results and see whats holding them up. Sometimes test results come in and just sit there and get filed in a chart wihtout ever notifying the patient. Ive had that happen before. Usually an ENT or oral surgeon does the biopsy. How long has this been there? You could have any number of mouth problems going on, not necessarily cancer. You posted this in the recurrance section, have you had previous cancer?

Yes, it is possible to have 2 completely seperate cancers going at the same time. It happened to me the first time I was sick. The once spot looked like a canker sore on the inside of my left cheek and the second spot was up behind my top left molar. They were completly independant of each other, one was poorly differentiated and the other was well differentiated, both areas were Stage 1.

Being a single parent isnt easy. Ive raised my children by myself without the benefit of them having an active father or even grandparents around. Its also a very rewarding experience seeing tiny babies turn into wondering children and then into independant adults.

Try not to worry so much. Its hard to do but its so much more productive keeping yourself busy. Worrying and crying never changed a test result, it just got you upset. Im glad you have found OCF to help ease your mind.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Hillary Offline OP
OP Offline

well thank you for the response, and sorry i was desperate to talk to someone, and i didnt see this entire site as to where i was supposed to post.. i have never had cancer, guess i posted in the wrong section. Anyway, its been exactly a month, i called the dentist last week, and they still heard nothing, he said he would contact me either way. on the retromolar area there is a whitsh tissue growth, and the other day i noticed it on the other side of my gum, kind of , same area, opposite side of gums behind last molar. i dont see any pictures on the net that match it, to me it kind of looked to match irritational fibrosis, or something to do with smoking maybe i dont know. but i cant keep living like this, its like russian roulette

Hillary
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hillary, what are you waiting for results on? As Christine asked, did the dentist or someone do a biopsy? Please let us know - 28 days is wrong!

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)

Hillary,

I hope all worked out for you! I know this is an old thread but I am in the same situation right now. Going in for a biopsy on Monday and I'm freaking out. If it's not too sensative would you mind shedding some light on your situation?

Thanks!
Ryan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users