Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

I just got approved by my local Walgreens to do an oral cancer screening! If anyone has one near them, they are very open to this. If you want to organize one, let me know!

Thanks to Davids hard work in his screening at the Gulfports Walgreens, it is catching on!!

We could use your help and support!

THanks!

Susan Lauria - OCF Director of Events - Always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about early detection! Contact me if you can help!

*Brother passed away from tongue cancer in 2006 at age 47, was co-caregiver, he was non-smoker/casual drinker

LETS MAKE ORAL CANCER HISTORY!
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Yes the Regional Manager that visited our screening and who promised to make it a much bigger event next year, said he was going to talk this up with the other RM's so let's strike while the iron is hot!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

David -Susan.

Jamie at the OCF office needs to know what to put together for these screening only events. Obviously there are the banners. Were what we sent you for FL adequate for the event, or should they say anything different? Do you need us to help you with supplies and relationships with Henry Schein and others that can get us the disposables as a donation? Is there a master list of regional offices for Walgreens that we can get our hands on and send out a general letter to all of them showing how this does public good while bringing customers to their stores? Is there a national contact for Walgreens that we could reach out to, to get both their company positive PR through a national press release on a joint effort, and also use it as another vehicle to spread the oral cancer awareness issue in the media? Their partnering with us on a national level means good press and media exposure for them. We do all the work, we write and pay for the releases and the events. What's the down side to them doing this with us?

Could we be reaching out to CVS and others with the idea? Can we locate a survivor or volunteer (RDH?) in each situation to pony up to coordinate the effort with the individual store in their area? Bottom line how does this become something more than a few stores, that will do good in the world, and bring national attention to the disease?

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I'll dig up the RM's card and call him and go over your points/questions and see where that leads us.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

Brian,

I am actually meeting with the district manager next week to see where we can go with this. I def think we can do something with them on a national level, this is a win win situation.

This could be a signature event for OCF and Walgreens. Lots of good points you brought up, maybe David can find something out as well.

I will discuss this you as well.

Susan

Susan Lauria - OCF Director of Events - Always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about early detection! Contact me if you can help!

*Brother passed away from tongue cancer in 2006 at age 47, was co-caregiver, he was non-smoker/casual drinker

OP Offline

David,

Let me know what you find out and we will compare notes.

Thanks!!

Susan

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Great project. I would like to help this if I can. I have seen their mobile screening units here occasionally, so there must be a national level that we can get associated with besides local and regional event involvement.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
OP Offline

Hi Malka,

Once I get more information from the dm and David as well, we will keep you posted.

This could be a great thing for OcF and the disease.

Thanks for wanting to help!!

I will be in touch!

Susan

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users