Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hey Nate glad you found this site! There are a lot of helpful people here. It will become your second home. I would be in a straight jacket without them.

As far as insurance the hospital social workers are extremly helpful(atleast ours were) with Medicaid. Once you recieve that I would go for a second opinion at MD Anderson which I believe is the top CCC for this cancer.

There is another young "survivor" on this forum named Bethers who has been extremly helpful to me and I am sure will post here shortly.
My sister had the same cancer as you, has recovered great from surgery and is now moving on to other treatment. Please keep us posted on your appointment and insurance and ask any questions that comes to mind. Someone here has gone through what you have. Also have someone with you for your appoinments to listen to the dr's because the first few appoinments for you will be like Charlie browns mom talking.
My thoughts and prayers go out to u and your family. =)

CG to Sister (42). Smoker quit @ diagnosis Dx 4/20/10 SCC T2N0M0, Rside of tongue Hemigloss R neck dis, all nodes removed 6/2/10, Trach and NG in, home 6/8/10,8/18/2010 start erbitux x6, 30 IMRT end 10/11/10 with only 3x erbitux due to reaction and one week off of rads
1/10/2011 Clear PET!!!
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Nate... welcome to the OCF. Sorry you are having to deal with this at such a young age. You will make many new friends here who are willing to share their lives and love.

It is wonderful that you were persistant and found a way to get yourself seen by an MD. Getting that biopsy only 2 months after noticing the problem certainly is in your favor.

As you make your way around the forum, you will find more stories than you can read but I do want to share briefly with you.

My aunt (more like a sister) is 67 years old. She had stage II SCC on the tongue. The dentist screwed around with her for several months diagnosing lichen planus and tongue biting. Finally she saw another doctor who did a biopsy. She had about 1/3 of her tongue and several lymph nodes in her neck removed in Feb. They also made a tongue flap "patch" to reform her tongue made from a muscle in her chest. She came through the surgery beautifully, never requiring a feeding tube or trach. She was in the hospital less than a week.

The pathology results came about a week later and showed perineural invasion (invaded the nerve) but no cancer in lymph nodes. If there had not been perineural invasion surgery would have been the only treatment, but since it had gotten to the nerve they recommended radiation which she completed in May.

You are young and obviously proactive. The new friends here will help you get through whatever treatments are recommended for you.

I do have one suggestion... have your mom and finacee look at this site as well. It has absolutely meant the world to me and enabled me to know what was "normal" and helped me to give my aunt encouragement and support.

We are with you, hon.

D

Aunt diag. 2/4/10 with SCC Stage I/II on left side of tongue. Surgery 2/19/10 part. gloss./neck diss. on left side/free flap from chest muscle. TI/II,NO,MO. Clear margins with perineural invasion. Started rads 4/8/10 - 35 treatments, finished 5/26/10.
Nate82 Offline OP
OP Offline

Well,I absolutely got no sleep last night and am getting ready for yet anotherlong day at the hospital. I never expected to support I have already recieved here, I am open to any opinion or recomendation. I have taken my mom with me to every appointment because I am still trying to understand. I will be on here after my meeting and let you guys know what they say. I was also told that a lot of doctors from MD Anderson practice at L.B.J. as well, Is there any questions that maybe I should write down and give to my mom to ask? If so, let me know, I am about 2 hours shy of my date with the doc's. Love ya'll and thank you again for being real, an being here for me.

SCC left lateral tongue, left neck dissection. 2 nodes positive. 3 All Clear then ITS BACK 8/23/11 Shows 1cm in tongue in CT SCAN, Radial Free Arm Flap with Radical Neck Dissection 9/20/11 , All Nodes Negative, But Tongue Tumor Poorly Differentiated. Awaiting next step in treatment on 10/5/11... RIP Nate 7/28/12
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Here is an important link. I will give you so much info and help in what to ask (page 4). It was written by OCF members...

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/board_images/GTI_draft.pdf

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Nate and welcome. Sorry you have to be here BUT you found a great source for support and information. As a caregiver I highly recommend you get your mom to join so she can ask questions and get support when you just aren't up to it. Like others have said, try to pack on the lbs. now. Congrats on being proactive on getting this diagnosed and moving on with treatments. As you will find out by reading other people's posts, it is not uncommon for this type of cancer to be misdiagnosed. You are lucky that you didn't delay seeking help. MD Anderson is supposed to be tops in the country for this type of cancer. I would give them another call and see what you can do about getting in there. Good luck with your appointment today and also A BIG CONGRATULATIONS on stopping drinking and smoking. It is not easy. Talk to your doctor about getting something to help with the side affects of withdrawing from both the alcohol and tobacco if you need something. Keep posting any and all questions. Someone on here will give you advise and encouragement.

Wanda (47) caregiver to husband John (56) age at diag.(2009)
1-13-09 diagnosed Stage IV BOT SCC (HPV+)
2-12-09 PEG placed, 7-6-09 removed
Cisplatin 7 weeks, 7 weeks (35) IMRT
4-15-09 - treatment completed
8-09,12-09-CT Scans clear, 4-10,6-11-PET Scans clear
4-2013 - HBO (30 dives) tooth extraction
10-2019 - tooth extraction, HBO (10 dives)
11-2019 - Left lateral tongue SCC - Stage 2
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Nate! Hope all went OK today at your appointments. I had tongue cncaer too. Diagnosed at 33. I had teh earaches and headaches and sore otngue too. Got diagnosed late. I'm stlll here. I eat most everything I like- very carefully and with small bites. My speech is impaired but gets better everyday.

My thoughts are with you and I hope you make a full and pseedy recovery adn get the treatment you need ASAP.

Big hug from California. We're pulling for you here! KATE

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Nate,
I was lucky to join this forum a few weeks ago because my dad has your diagnosis too. His surgery was today. I felt much more calmed after finding information about all this. You will too! This is hard but be positive! My dad didn't have insurance either but major hospitals have programs for uninsured people. We spent most of the past 2 weeks in the hospital looking for information, calling, visiting office from office. If you can go in person to apply for any of the assistance programs or state programs. If they give you any number call it right away. Don't hesitate to ask anything. You can look for this info in the hospital's website to have an idea of what papers you will need. Organize them very well so you can save time later. Print maybe 2 copies of everything and carry them with you in case you need to leave a copy in any office. If they ask you for additional papers bring them right away. Ask everyone everything. Ask, ask, ask, and then do what they ask you to do, bring whatever you need to bring right away. It helped in our case. It is all I know for now but I hope this helps you. I wish you the best.
Benfry

My Dad:
Squamous Cell Carcinoma,Stage 2, Right side of Tongue
Dx 7/19/10
Partial glossectomy and neck dissection 8/18/10
Reocurrence: 04/2011 Base/back of Tongue right side
Surgery: Partial glossectomy, flap 06/15/2011
Rad and Chemo finished on Sept/ Oct 2011
Recovery and assimilation. Enjoying life

Hi Nate!! Welcome to OCF!

Please look into MD Anderson or another CCC, I would get another opinion or two to compare treatment plans. I had 3 and I worked as an Onoclogy Nurse and still choose MDA over drs I worked with due to the fact that MDA sees patients like us everyday rather than a few cases every so often.

I hope your appt went well today, keep us posted!

Dx 3/27/09 @ 28 years old with High Grade MEC T4N2M0
Elizabeth, 33, mother of 3 girls (4,7, &8yrs old)
3 rds of chemo(Carbo/Taxol)
Rt Mandibulectomy, rt fibular flap,& rt ND with trach, picc,& g-tube.
30 rds of rads with weekly cisplatin
SCANS ALL CLEAR!
OCF Regional Coordinator of San Antonio Walk

Hi, Nate -

I'm sorry you have to be here, but this site has saved the sanity of most, if not all of us. Whatever you will be facing, someone has gone through something similar and will be more than happy to share their experiences and give you real, practical advice.

Good luck with your visits. We are all rooting for you.

Marlene

Marginal mandibulectomy 6/17/08 resulted in DX of Stage I SCC - gingiva (3 mm) right mandible, buccal side. Clear margins. Occasional social drinker. Smoked last cigarette in 1979. Clear pet: 12/08; 7/20/09. Yay!

Hello Nate

I guess theres nothing I could really say that you havent heard already. Remember that even though they are falling apart your mom and fiance are there for you so reach out and those around you will reach back youll see Remember to talk to someone weather on here or in your day to day life Dont let anything fester kay? If you ever need to talk just to talk or whatever we are here for you.

Let me be the lender of strength, wisdom, and heart. Let me be the one who helps you spread your wings.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics