Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Senior Member (100+ posts)

First, Mr. Brian you are an awesome human being and so helpful, just wanted to say that.

But real quick, I remembered what the oral surgeon told me that stuck like glue. When she looked at it before my biopsy she said and I quote " I will be honest with you Nathan, I dont know what that is?". And went on to tell me that when they are in school to become doctors,surgeons,EMT and such that they have little if any training at all on the tongue. She said basically the final exam is throat, head and thats it. That I guess they basically skip the tongue, anyone else verified or heard that before? Because what messed me up so much was I was continously told " I have no idea what that is " and then the infamous " I wouldnt lose any sleep over it though,just keep an eye on it". So it was just so crazy, even got asked if I had been out of the country!?! So I prepared myself for a weird parasite living in my tongue and not this...Right about now, Id take the parasite.

Nathan

SCC left lateral tongue, left neck dissection. 2 nodes positive. 3 All Clear then ITS BACK 8/23/11 Shows 1cm in tongue in CT SCAN, Radial Free Arm Flap with Radical Neck Dissection 9/20/11 , All Nodes Negative, But Tongue Tumor Poorly Differentiated. Awaiting next step in treatment on 10/5/11... RIP Nate 7/28/12
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Again I wouldn't read much into this comment. The tongue is just a big muscle, not a piece of mystery meat. For sure it has lots of stuff on it like papilla an taste buds and even lymphoid tissue at the back and rear sides, but it is no mystery.

Remember the reason that they biopsy things is because visually THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS. This is common. Only a look at the individual cells in the sample is going to hold an answer. Even oncologists that look at things that are cancer everyday, could not tell you with 100% certainty that anything that thy look at or feel is cancer. So I don't find the comment out of line, what I do find appropriate, is that rather than brushing it off as nothing, someone decided to find out exactly - in a manner that was not ambiguous what it is.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

I am still waiting for my biopsy. I am certain it is cancer. As I think back on how it came to be this white lesion on my gum, at one time it was a sort of sore, then a lekoplakia type sore and then it condensed into this lesion. The sore and leukoplakia like substance was much larger than how it has ended up. It is as if it has condensed down into this much smaller lesion. Perhaps it has only recently converted to cancer and maybe I got to it early. I have no idea, but I feel certain of what it is and I am in full blown panic. I am almost not functioning. I have called my doctor for anti anxiety meds.

You cannot do this to yourself Texsun!

You have reason to be scared and panic, but you for one have to be the strongest in such a crazy situation. All you can do is wait for the biopsy right now, I would not waste days worrying until you have absolutely been assured it is cancer. Then " If " that is what it is, instead of falling apart like my family and I did, you pick yourself up and say " I will not tolerate this in my body!". We are all here for you no matter what the results are, but you cannot shut down, I know it is hard, but it is key to getting through.

I myself have just begun the journey, and at first wanted to quit, I found this site and popped on some music and got ready for war! And that is what it is in my eyes, WAR! Keep us updated, as I will do the same. Take care of yourself...

Nathan

SCC left lateral tongue, left neck dissection. 2 nodes positive. 3 All Clear then ITS BACK 8/23/11 Shows 1cm in tongue in CT SCAN, Radial Free Arm Flap with Radical Neck Dissection 9/20/11 , All Nodes Negative, But Tongue Tumor Poorly Differentiated. Awaiting next step in treatment on 10/5/11... RIP Nate 7/28/12
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics