Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline

I have got myself so worked up a week is gonna be a beat down. For whatever reason my mind has just overcome me. A week is too long.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hey Texassun. Its probably a skintag. BUT definitely get it checked out.
Life is too short to be up all night worrying! Hoping your results come back negative and all is on the up and up. smile

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
OP Offline

Thanks for the comments.

As I think back about this thing I get more concerned. At first it was sort of a white spot that I could rub off. When rubbed off it left a raw spot and eventually the white cover would return. It was so tiny that I just did not consider it much. I have always been prone to fever blisted and sores and it is not uncommmon for something to be going on in my mouth so I just didn't place any importance to it. I was ignorant about the possibilities.

Now, it seems less superficial and more into the skin. I can't rub it off as it is a part of the skin. It is still white, but a little less white than in the beginning. Of course my mind has raced to one conclusion and I have no idea how reasonable or unreasnable it is, but I am all consumed. I really cannot say how long this porcess has taken I just know it has been a long time. Over a year, maybe/likely more.

I realize that this speculation is getting me nowhere and there are no answers until science gives them to me but I just am so worked up I don't see how I can keep my sanity in between now and when I can have answer.

Does the process I have described for my lesion sound familiar to anyone else?

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

There could be any number of differnt things going on. Have you gotten the biopsy yet? That is the only way to tell if it is cancer. Worrying is not going to get you any answers, it will only get you upset. So often a person comes here convinved that they are dying of cancer only to find out there is something relatively minor happening. It is unlikely that it is cancer since it has been there that long.

Bottom line....calm down!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thanks Christine!

I know your advice is correct but for whatever reason I am obsessing on this situation. It just builds and builds.

I saw my dentist today and she referred me to an oral surgeon to have it removed Thursday. She downplayed the significance of it but did say that she does note some tissue change and it is best to get it checked out. Of course in my state of mind I am focusng on the negative comment about tissue change.

I had already setup an appointment with an ENT tomorrow. I think I will go to it anyway and see what he says. I wonder if he will want to remove it or of that is best done by the oral surgeon? Who has hed experience with an oral surgeon versus an ENT? Do they have the capability to do the same things?

Do poeple often have unexplained lesions in there mouth that have been there for years and they turn out to be nothing.

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I went to an Oral Surgeon, BUT as long as you have an appointment with an ENT Surgeon he might do the Biopsy I'm not sure if it really matters who does the biopsy as long as you get one. Just my opinion. Other might want to chime in on this.

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

OP Offline

Do you think they will remove the whole thing or just a piece of it? I do believe this thing is growing and I want it all out and I don't want to waite.

Do any of you have any good ideas on meds to reduce my anxiety?

OP Offline

The thing that is making me crazy is that I have known about this spot on my gum for a long time and did nothing because it did not hurt and didn't seem to change much. If it turns out to be something I will never forgive myself.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

My doctor prescribed Ativan for me for anxiety. I find it works quite well. Xanax is of course another possibility, as are Valium and Klonopin. I'm sure there are others, and probably other ways to get at the problem, i.e. via anti-depressants. If you do get on one of the ones I mentioned take it sparingly. I haven't become dependent, but I do know that can be a danger.

Hang in there.
D2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18

[quote=Texsun65]Do you think they will remove the whole thing or just a piece of it?[/quote]
Depends on where it is and how tricky it is to remove it. In my husband's case, the oral surgeon took a tiny bit for the initial biopsy in an in-office procedure, but referred my husband to an ENT for a more extensive procedure (including full anesthesia) to remove the whole thing.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics