Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JeremyR Offline OP
OP Offline

First off my name is Jeremy and I've been lurking these boards for a few days now deciding whether or not to post. My wife and I are both active duty Air Force and geographically separated until September and been that way since last September. I'm actually due to separate in another month so I can finally be with my family again. So as part of the separation process I'm required to get a full dental exam 90 days prior. During said exam my dentist noticed a small lesion on the right side of my tongue. I was extremely surprised to hear this since I've had absolutely no discomfort in my mouth. He then scheduled me with an oral surgeon for a biopsy. I've never, in my life, heard that word used in regards to myself. Needless to say I'm extremely frightened about what the results will be. My dentist did say he didn't think it was anything serious and the biopsy was strictly a "just in case" procedure which helped a little. It still scared the $!#% out of me. My biopsy is scheduled for this coming Monday and the wait is excruciating (it's already been a week since my dental exam). The human mind seems amazing at it's ability to jump straight to the worst possible outcome. And having a family member from every generation, including mine (cousin 4 years younger) lose their battle with cancer makes this even harder on me.

On a brighter note this whole experience has woken me up and I've quit smoking. It's a shame it took a scare like this to do it. I've been smoking for about 12 years now and have tried quitting several times only to fail. Looks like I've finally found a reason not to light up anymore.

One more thing I want to say is that everyone here seems, just, wonderful. Thank you all for showing such support to those of us that come here. I will update this thread when I get my results. Thank you all again for your support even though I may have nothing to worry about... God willing.

Last edited by JeremyR; 07-29-2010 08:42 PM.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Jeremy. Glad you found this site. Sounds like you have a great oral surgeon by having you go for a biopsy. It is the only sure way to know definatively what this lesion would be. The waiting is very tough on the mind especially at night. Just keep coming back and talk to as many as you can to help ease your mind. Sending you prayers for a clear biopsy and thanks for what you and your wife do to keep us safe. My best friend is in the military and I know how hard it is. Please keep us posted.

CG to Sister (42). Smoker quit @ diagnosis Dx 4/20/10 SCC T2N0M0, Rside of tongue Hemigloss R neck dis, all nodes removed 6/2/10, Trach and NG in, home 6/8/10,8/18/2010 start erbitux x6, 30 IMRT end 10/11/10 with only 3x erbitux due to reaction and one week off of rads
1/10/2011 Clear PET!!!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF. Glad you have a team who are on the ball. A biopsy is the only way to tell if you have cancer. Waitng for the test and then the results can seem to take an eternity. Please do your best to keep yourself busy so your mind stays off the "what if's". Hoping your results come back clear. Thank you for serving our country.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Good luck and keep us posted.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Jeremy - Sounds like your dentist was really on the ball in not taking any chances in sending you to the oral surgeon for a biopsy. That's the only way to know for sure. It may not be anything at all, but it's better to know. The waiting is a crazy-maker but try to keep yourself occupied with whatever you like to do so that your mind doesn't keep going over all the negatives. There are positives, too like the great dentist who noticed something and is just keeping you safe by ruling out anything not right. Let us know how you are doing.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Jeremy, I am brand new to this site, but not new to oral cancer. I never smoked, but KUDOS to you for quiting! I am one of the fortunate few w/recurring cancer, but no radiation treatment - only surgery!! Squamous cell on my tongue & mouth floor in '04, '06, '08 - appt on Friday, to look at some sore spots, which may not be cancer. I made the mistake of Googling mouth cancer w/my first postive biopsy - VERY scary! Despite 3 surgeries, only I can notice the difference in my speech. My advice, which has carried me through it to only worry when the doc gives you something to worry about - try your best not to borrow worry!! Other than that, thank you for your military service - I have a son-in-law in So. Afghanistan at this time. I hope and pray that you get good news and no longer need this site!!!

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

When will you be finding out? It is a scary time but try to keep yourself busy and maybe your mind will be on something else...maybe!

Praying your biopsy results come back negative!

Dx 3/27/09 @ 28 years old with High Grade MEC T4N2M0
Elizabeth, 33, mother of 3 girls (4,7, &8yrs old)
3 rds of chemo(Carbo/Taxol)
Rt Mandibulectomy, rt fibular flap,& rt ND with trach, picc,& g-tube.
30 rds of rads with weekly cisplatin
SCANS ALL CLEAR!
OCF Regional Coordinator of San Antonio Walk

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37