Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#119185 07-08-2010 05:41 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

During my dental visit on Tues. I received the results of my x-rays. I have cavities in almost every tooth! My big ? is...how am I going to get these cavities filled, keeping my mouth open for who knows how long...when its is soooo dry to begin with? Normally you have the "hook" in your mouth that sucks out saliva, but what do they do when you need moisture added? I'm afraid also the water that is used to "rinse" will be too cold. Now I know why I put off going to the dentist "post" treatment.

Prior to my appointment Tues, last time when the x-rays were taken, I could not open my mouth wide enough for the reg inserts, so I asked if they could use child size. That was only how I was able to get any x-rays done

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

*** Admin update --- Dianne has passed away on August 25, 2015 ***
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

They won't use the vacuum tube since you do not need it. My dentist lets me have my bottle of water in my lap, and every once in a while I ask for the ok to rinse my mouth out and instead of swallowing any of the drilling debris, they just use the little suction tube to take it all out. The muscles that hold my mouth open fatigue easily, and during a long procedure like a crown prep ( I have a ton since radiation) I have them put a small rubber "bite block" wedge between my teeth that holds my mouth open and takes the work out of it for me and makes their job easier. There are different sizes of bit blocks and they use a "pedo" childs size on me sos that I can tolerate it.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Since treatment have had several dental visits. DDS is aware of the dry mouth and knows he will need to squirt water every few minutes and also be careful with suction. My mouth also got tired and he knew to either stop or get bit. Only dental problem was having to have an implant which i knew right when i was originally diagnosed. I don't know whether a result of chemo or rads but the xylocane did not seem to work, needed 3 shots. Since radiation and losing so much of my taste buds my diet has been high in carbs and sugars and I am afraid cavities may be on the way. As much as aI hate visits to the Dentist the thoughts of either implants or false teeth are worse.

Age 63, occasional drinker, smoked for 40 years
Base of tongue, stage 4,T-2,N2B
Cisplatin 1xweek
30 RT ended 6/25
PEG removed 8/23
PET Scan shows scaring but believed no tumors 9/25
OP Offline

So I went to the dentist today & had about 8 cavities filled. I had a anxiety attack. My biggest worry! Just as I got in the chair, my heart started racing. About a 1/2 hour into it...I felt like I could not breath, like I was choking, suffocating, my heart was really racing. I raised my hand up for her to stop. She had me laying down to much. After I sat straight up for a little while, I felt better. I was in & out in an hour, but feels like it took a year off my life!

Is there anything I could take before the next visit, that would take the edge off, but so I could still drive? I sure don't look forward to the next 2 appointments!

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Ask them to give you 5mg of diazepam orally 1 hour before your visit. The world will be calm with mother's little helper working for you.....

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Thank You Brian, I am going to make a call to my dr. hope he will cal in a RX f/me.

OP Offline

Hi Brian, I did call my dr. (talked to his impatient nurse) All that they gave me was one stinking pill:Lorazepam 1MG No refills & this one pill cost me $12.00 !

It did nothing for me. Same symptoms: Heart racing, choking, throat closing up. I asked the dr. for 5MG of Diazepan...but this is what I got.

Last week, I got 8 cavities filled, this week, only one got filled. I might switch to a real experienced in OC Dentist.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Dianne, it would be an excellent idea to get a dentist who is trained to deal with oral cancer patients. Us survivors have our own unique issues going on with our mouths. Hope you find a prosthodontist to become your regular dentist.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank You Christine! You are so right. I had an another anxiety attack at the dentist. yesterday, the 1mg of Lorazepam did nothing. I walked out of there yesterday knowing I would never go back...she just doesn't get it. I wish I could just get knocked out, get all the work done @ once & get it over with! I miss spit!!!!

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I went to my dentist for a cleaning yesterday. They found two more cavities (after having 5 previously filled)Both my dentist and the tech are very sensitive to my oral problems. I guess I am very fortunate. I have always been terrified of visits to the dentist (even before I was diagnosed) so I am very glad that they are aware of my problems. I sit there with a bottle of water in my lap, as a secrity blanket. I guess this is what I need to do to keep my teeth, but it sure isn't fun!

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users