Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#118638 06-28-2010 07:24 AM
"OCF Down Under"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Hi all I was just wondering how many people returned to work after initial treatment and how long did it take. I know every situation is very different but did any one say well I am going to not work for 1-2 years given what we generaly know about this disease and live it up so to speak even if that was playing music or other things we never seam to get around to. Also was this a positive thing or negative way to go for anyone who did?

lyph node positive 10/08
Parotodectomy 4/09
Rad six wks 65 grey
Pet scan clear 03/10 no primary
Pet 01/10 base tonge primary
CT 3.5 Tumor 01/2010
radical tongue reconstruction
with forearm flap 2/10
severe Trismus 06/10

"OCF Canuck"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

This is probably one of those issues that's different for everybody. My husband had 7 weeks of radiation and chemo. Initially he was told he'd need to be off work for 3 months after treatment finished. Quite frankly, I don't see how he could possibly go back this soon, what with the weight loss, fatigue, drug withdrawal problems, psychological state and on and on. I'll be really surprised is he could even do a graduated return by September.
It would be great to take a couple of years off to do the things we'd like to do, but keep putting off. And if you can afford it, I say go for it. smile
Anne

Anne - CG to Gordon (59), non-smoker/non-drinker. SCC, BOT, HPV 16+, stage 3. Jan./10 - radical neck dissection to remove 48 lymph nodes, 1 node pos. Apr. 23/10 - finished 35 rad. and 3 cisplatin. Jul. 22/10 - PET scan clear.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

I can't remember now how long post Tx I stayed away from work but it was 3 weeks post Tx before I walked out of my tunnel and I'm sure it was another few weeks after that before I went back but I did start only working a few hours a day at first but before long I was back full+ time. As for you just go back when you feel up to it and let whoever know that you may not be there long at first, that you need to build up your work stamina so to speak.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Tony, if you can afford not to work for awhile I'd say do it. Er, don't, that is. I remember not feeling up to working - and I'm a writer so it isn't exactly carrying bricks that I'm doing - for a good 6 months post TX. And then, like David 1, I did so gradually.

I love the idea of taking time to enjoy life. We should all be doing that all the time anyway but of course we so often don't. I'm a year out and working full time and dreaming of a vacation!

David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Please keep your feed back coming, it is honest and appreciated. Yes we are all in different situations but I do think it is a question we all ponder and some go one way or another for very different reasons......Tony

lyph node positive 10/08
Parotodectomy 4/09
Rad six wks 65 grey
CT 3.5 Tumor 01/2010
with forearm flap 2/10
severe Trismus 06/10

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Here in the US, most people have to work to survive. Many employers offer health insurance and in order to have health insurance you cant take off work like that. Who wouldnt want to be off for a few years while their health is good? In my world it wasnt an option. I was a single working mom of 2 kids. As their sole support parent, I had to return to work as quickly as I could all 3 times. Luckily, I have an excellent job that is more flexible than most employers and I was able to stay home long enough to heal before returning.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I was fortunate in that I had a lot of accumulated sick leave and vacation time. I ended up basically taking the whole summer off, and coming back part time in October, then back to full time in November. It was really hard, but I also think it made me be more engaged and gave me something to think about other than my illness. I still have a lot of "eating" issues and get very tired, but I was glad to be able to return to work.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.

Hi Tony,

My husband Ron is a finish carpenter so his job is very physical. He started back to work (part time basis) about a month after he finished radiation. In my opinion he pushed it too soon, but that's the kind of guy he is. He's not one to sit around....even if he needs to! After about 4 months, he was back to working on a full time basis.

Hope this helps,

Shelley

Caregiver to husband Ron. Throat Cancer. Finished 35 radiation treatments on 11/21/04. 8/2/11 small lesion on lower gum, laser Procedure to remove. 3/6/12 Doc. removed another lesion on outside of his neck. Did a skin graft from his chest to replace the skin on his neck. Went to Heaven on 6/24/12.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I guess I would represent an alternate perspective here. I worked all the way through treatment. I missed some time after the neck dissection, but that was it.

First, I was admittedly fortunate in that I did not have some of the dire side effects that others have from the treatment. Still, I lost a lot of weight and it was not easy. However, for my individual mind set, it was important to live live as "normally" as possible, both for me and for my family. I could have taken time off with fairly small financial impact, due to good temporary disability coverage, but I couldn't bring myself to do that.

Sure, there is merit to the "smell the roses while you can" school of thought, but for me that would just be a tacit acknowledgment that this disease was going to win, and I wasn't prepared to do that.

Would I recommend my choice to others? Probably not. It worked for me, however, and I came through a bit stronger and significantly more appreciative of life. We just returned from a 12 day Mediterranean cruise, and I'll celebrate three years from the end of treatment in just under two weeks.

These are highly individual decisions, and there truly is no right or wrong. You need to do what is best for you and your family. Nothing is irrevocable. You can start to take some time off, then always decide to go back. Conversely, you could go back to work, and then take off if it is too much.

Best wishes!

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Thankyou Jeff and everyone, please keep your views coming as I think this is a huge topic. The living normally as to not, is very interesting as I can see that it does not let you give in to the disease winning.

The many individual situations probably decide the matter for many, as not to work is an option that is not doable in most cases.

I myself have had 9 weeks of work and have returned slowly building up to full time in a few weeks. My work has been wonderfull in helping me.

I have to say that I am not coping really well and do question the more time out option. I could probably take a year or 18 months of but it would knock me back a lot financialy and no guarantee of a job to go back to.......tuff stuff and your thoughts and experiances are of a huge help.
Tony

lyph node positive 10/08
Parotodectomy 4/09
Rad six wks 65 grey
CT 3.5 Tumor 01/2010
with forearm flap 2/10
severe Trismus 06/10

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel