Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
notself #119323 07-12-2010 07:19 PM

I was wondering if you could elaborate on the use of Manuka Honey. Did you use regular, raw cold slung honey or did your brother use the gamma radiated product? I am familiar with the study you referenced and I'm a big believer in the potential uses of honey-specifically manuka. I have a friend who will be undergoing radiation treatment for brain cancer, and I would like her to use it, but I haven't been able to find the irradiated product. Did your brother use the non-irradiated product. I know there is some question as to whether immunocompromised people can use non-irradiated honey because of the risk of botulinum spores.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

pharmd #119396 07-14-2010 01:56 PM
notself Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

The doctor who is running the study is using irradiated honey but since it isn't available she recommended using raw manuka. My brother has no problem with his immune system and like many of us is in excellent health except for the darn cancer.

He still has some sores along the direct radiation line. He is controlling the discomfort with magic mouthwash and the sores are starting to heal. The sores showed up during the "boost" period of the radiation treatment. He tells me that the manuka honey now burns in the area of the sores so he has diluted it with green tea. Prior to the sores appearing he had no discomfort from the honey.

His cancer was in the anterior floor of the mouth.

Brother Dx oral cancer March 23. Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Mod Dif Anterior Floor of Mouth, Peridental Soft Tissue, Right Bony Margin. Lymph Nodes 0/56 Stage II,pT2,pN0 2.8 cm
I was Dx b/cancer 9/2007. IDC Stage2 Grade2 2.4 cm 0/8 Nodes ER+ PR+ Her-2 Rad 33 no chemo.
notself #121107 08-30-2010 07:48 AM
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Manuka honey is well known to most Australians and Kiwis. Manuka is the Kiwi name for the tea tree, the leaves of which are also used for their antiseptic properties (and it smells nice).

The honey has long been studied for it's healing properties Gethin found manuka honey outperformed hydrogel therapy in the treatment of leg ulcers (Gethin G and Cowman S, Journal of Clinical Nursing. Volume 18, Issue 3, pages 466�474, February 2009) whilst Cooper et al suggested Manuka Honey might be effective against antibiotic resistant staphlycoccus aureus (MRSA) (Cooper et al, J R Soc Med. 1999 June; 92(6): 283�285). I have also read about oral ulcers but can't locate a decent reference but if anyone else wants to search around a guy called Molan from Waitkatu (sp) University did a lot of the early work (early 90s)and may be a good place to start.
I personally used it (the tea tree oil not the honey) as a teenager for dandruff and stuck the honey on my pimples with good effect (although waking up with ants crawling over my face put me off a bit).

If it doesn't make you better it (the tea tree oil) also makes for a great mould and mildew cleaner or room deodorizer smile

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
klo #124558 11-12-2010 10:16 PM

My Dr. suggested the honey when I started the radiation. I purchased the Manuka but couldn't tell if I was getting the "active" or not or whatever. I had treatment #10 today and have been eating fine - except that nothing tastes good - so far. I do have a small sore in my far cheek that might have been from food or toothbrush and a small sore spot under my tongue from the fluoride tray. Have a very dry mouth but the Dr. has seemed surprised that I was still eating. If it helps, it is worth it...if not, no major loss I guess. :o)

Michele in IL

Female - 53 no smoke/drink
tongue Biopsy 8/2010
Surgery 9/21 for SCC left side tongue stage II. Prtl removal tongue/left side lymph nodes. All Clear
Radiation started 11/2, ended 12/17
Lymph node involved left side along with gum involvement 2/9 Fibular flap failed 2/22.
passed away 1/12/12
Michele57 #125250 11-25-2010 10:54 PM
"OCF Down Under"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

I've also read its good for scar healing so I've been putting it on my neck scar. As its antibacterial too, it can't hurt to try cool

Monica,33 Mum of 3. Former smoker
SCC right lateral tongue. Intially thought to be cell dysplasia and dx as SCC after surgical excision.
Nov 2010- partial glossectomy (1cm in width), partial neck dissection. Margins clear, nothing found in nodes- YAY! Benign tumor on saliva gland.
monicacc #125891 12-08-2010 05:44 PM
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

My scar is looking really good- my surgeon/ENT guy couldn't believe how well it looked 3 weeks post-surgery and I put it down to the manuka honey (also regular application of aloe vera). I've been putting the honey on it every night. THe only side effect is that sometimes I wake up with ants crawling on my neck!!!! I've also been rubbing it on my tongue and gums.I highly reccomend it grin You have to make sure its the one with the high percentage of 'active' qualities (mine is 16+).

There's lots of scientific literature around the benefits of manuka honey for both wound infections and scar repair
e.g. http://journals.lww.com/jwocnonline...A_Potent_Agent_for_Wound_Healing_.8.aspx

Monica,33 Mum of 3. Former smoker
SCC right lateral tongue. Intially thought to be cell dysplasia and dx as SCC after surgical excision.
Nov 2010- partial glossectomy (1cm in width), partial neck dissection. Margins clear, nothing found in nodes- YAY! Benign tumor on saliva gland.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics