Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#112 06-22-2002 04:41 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is under general because it's one more thing that no one tells you about until it's an "oh yeah - that happens sometimes" I really am getting tired of the "that happens sometimes events"

Last radiation treatment was Jan. 25. I got my particials upper and lower about a month ago. I've had trouble opening my mouth wide (like big bites or I can't eat a sandwich)and some pain chewing. Checkup with the ENT yeserday and it is called trismus (lockjaw) It doesn't just get better with use as I thought it would. It actually gets worse. This should be treated in therapy (I looking for one now) There is also a prescription aparatus - Therabite...they have a web site that explains the condition very well.
I mention this because of all the information my dentist has on radiation patients even he was unaware of this condition. It's not lack of use, it's scar tissue.
Please get checked out if you are having post radiation pain in the jaws.

Take care,
Dinah

#113 06-22-2002 05:00 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Dinah,

Even though I did not have RAD, I still have problems with eating certain things. That is why when I'm in public I always eat something soft or that I can use a knife and fork. Of course just going through this damn bone graft I'm really picky. But I have had problems since my first surgery almost two years ago.

I understand the "Oh yeah, we forgot to tell you line." I don't think that will ever go away.

Take Care.

Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
#114 06-22-2002 08:53 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Dinah...........I also have trouble opening my mouth very wide---trismus. However, in the five years since my RAD it has never gotten any worse. Ask your Doctor/Physical Therapist for some stretching excerises, maybe that will help. SIncerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#115 06-22-2002 09:26 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

First there is a lot of information about trismus on this web site, much of it written by Bob Horst who is the founder of Therabite. Go to the dental community section and look under oral complications.

Trismus, as a rule, does not continue to get worse. It can wait till the end of radiation treatments to appear, or even a few months afterwards, but after that the degree of trismus is relatively stable. The Therabite device is one way of stretching the muscles and tissues to regain the opening ability you had before. The link to their web site exists on our resources page.

By the way, your comment about opening to eat a sandwich was interesting, I haven't eaten a sandwich since treatments ended, they are just too dry...but boy do I still crave them.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#116 06-22-2002 10:13 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Brian and everyone...I will look for more info on this site.
I was considerig trying both physical therapy and Therabite. I'll read up and see. So far the only lady in town that I can find that does therapy on jaws does not take my insurance. She also told me when we spoke that she liked Therabite, but had given up because she couldn't get anyone to call her back. I told her to check out their on line site.

Take care,
Dinah

#117 06-23-2002 08:24 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Dinah, regarding Therabite online, I have twice sent queries and have not received any response. I think they must respond only to health care providers.
Joanna

#118 07-30-2002 04:27 PM

I did not have radiation but my surgery was rather intrusive. Immediately after surgery, I began a regime using tongue depressors to stretch the jaw musciles (that doesn't look right, oh well).

I would stack up as many as I could bite then commence wedging in additional ones between what I had in my mouth. I would continue to add depressors till the pain was so intense I couldn't tolerate it. I would then hold it for 20 minutes, then remove the depressors.

I did this on the order of 10 or so times a day for a very long time. I began with 10mm of opening and ended with 58mm. Not easy but essential. I am so happy I endured this to get what I have today. It greatly enhanced the prosthodontist ability to provide a prostheis of optimum value and has really improved my quality of life.

I have no idea if this will work for you or anyone reading this, but it did for me. Some of my success may have been implementation of the plan IMMEDIATELY after surgery. I don't know if this is adviseable for anyone who has had trismus for any length of time. I would suggest you consult your medical professional before embarking on this course of treatment. It worked for me, but under MY circumstances.

For what it's worth.....Cowboy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics