Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

I promise it will get better. As bad and as weak as I was post Tx, by 9 months out I was back to riding my bike with the big boys and being much lighter (LOL) and with an extreme case of determination I was actually a better rider than before Tx. Now I'm back to the same, maybe even worse, since I'm 4 years older and I've gotten over that "I'll show you" attitude. ugh.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

"Yes and let me clarify - Jim's "good" days are those when he can get through the day without nausea, can down two servings of Carnation Inst. Brkfst, and have a decent b.m.! But, hey, we're thankful! grin"

Yep, those would have been stellar days for me too!

D2

Last edited by David2; 05-28-2010 09:42 AM.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18

Hi Deb,

My dad was diagnosed w/stage 3 oral cancer in Jan 10. He had 35 radiation treatments, and I believe twelve chemo treatments. His long term stats are good according to his oncologist & radiologist, but he still feels pretty terrible. His last chemo was on 4/12/10, and last radiation was on 4/16? Somewhere that week. He is on the tube, and pretty much refuses to eat much of anything. He say his tongue is painful. Like on fire. He is 70 yrs old. Never been sick and a non smoker for eight years. Extremely active. Now, he just sits in his chair watching tv. Kind of miserable. I absolutely refuse to ask how he's doing, cause I know he's very down, and still in alot of pain. When does it go away?

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Christine, welcome to OCF. Its always best to start your own thread especially when first joining OCF. That way your post doesnt get lost and both posts will get the attention they deserves.

Finishing treatments in April isnt even 2 months ago. It can take 2 years to return to a somewhat normal lifestyle. Of course, the younger you are usually means the easier you will have it. Everyone is different and will recover at their own pace. It takes months before eating will resume and that is a very slow process before progress is seen.

If you know your father is struggling, please show some compassion instead of refusing to ask how he is. A few words of kindness and understanding can go a very long way in helping your dad to feel better. As a 3x survivor, your statement hurts my feelings and Im one tough person! Many oral cancer patients take antidepressants to aid in their mental well being. Nobody can know how truly horrible it is to go thru these treatments unless they have done it. Caregivers dont have it easy either, but they arent the ones who are in pain and want so bad to eat but cant. Now that the weather is nicer, maybe a short walk in the park or even a ride on a country road may help him to feel better.

Please take some time to read thru some of the posts and info on the main OCF site. There is even a special section for caregivers, maybe that could give you more info.

Best of luck to you both.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I still understand the ups and downs. Rex still has good days/bad days. If he does too much on one day he has to rest most of the following day.

Crgvr to Husband 55-yrs, surgery to remove cyst-diagnosed as SCC, 4/3/09 CT & Pet Scan showed more cancer in left lymph node and primary at the base of the tongue.TX Radiation 7 weeks 5 days a week last day is 6/25/09
Chemo completed 6/19/09
Peg Tube 5/22/09
"OCF Canuck"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

If you don't ask your father how he's doing, he may think you don't care and you don't want that. My husband has been dealing with panic, anxiety and depression in a big way since treatment ended 7 weeks ago. Sometimes it's hard to know what to do when someone is feeling this way. One day I just asked him "I'm sorry you're having such a terrible time and I'm not sure what I can do to help you, so please tell me what you need. " His answer was, "Just be there for me when I reach for you." So that's what I do. Aside from the other caregiving duties, emotional support is crucial. It can be hard when as a caregiver you're anxious and depressed yourself, but it's important to try.
Anne

Anne - CG to Gordon (59), non-smoker/non-drinker. SCC, BOT, HPV 16+, stage 3. Jan./10 - radical neck dissection to remove 48 lymph nodes, 1 node pos. Apr. 23/10 - finished 35 rad. and 3 cisplatin. Jul. 22/10 - PET scan clear.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users