Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I did not realize that flouride is simply toxic to humans. I had a dental cleaning yesterday & did one of the pharmaceautical grade rinses at the end of the cleaning & when I threw back the shot, part of it went down my throat! Oops! As I was leaving the office I was feeling a bit nauseated & mentioned it to the hygenist & she said to drink some milk & I should feel better. Well, within a few minutes my sinuses completely blocked & I started feeling really weird. I blew my nose & the snot was clear with blood streaks. I started feeling really bad & pulled over to the side of the road & projectile vomited clear liquid & my salivary glands were working overtime! (If I could only make that happen all the time) I called the dentist & they said that slight nausea happens sometimes... I pulled myself together & drove on to work, but didnt make it another 10 minutes before violently projectile vomiting clear green liquid! I felt really awful.

So... I thought I was just having an allergic reaction or something because it reminded me so much of what happened years ago when I tried to take Amofostine during radiation treatment.

Bottom line here is, I went home, ate some food, laid on the couch & started searching the web for info about flouride. I had all the textbook symptoms of ingesting flouride on an empty stomach!!!

Just be careful. I had no idea how toxic flouride is. We think, or at least I assumed it's this benign safe substance that is beneficial to our dental health, however it is being rethought in the worldwide medical/dental community as far as how safe it really is for humans at all. And I am not a conspiracy therist.

Today I feel much better, just a little shaken that I was literally poisoned yesterday. I don't blame my dentist, but they should be much more dilligent about stressing to not swallow any of that rinse!

I wish health & especially happiness to all...

Erik Kleiva

dx 2/11/04 scca bot T3 IU 2B MO poorly differentiated, margins ok, 3/16 modest, jaw split, over half of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - finished chemo & rad treatment 5/20/04
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Erik, I'm so sorry you got so sick after leaving the Dentist Office. My biggest fear is vomiting (I have not since TX), but anyway I have known for a long time how toxic flouride is & can be. & yet it is everywhere! My dentist (before TX) wanted me to get $300 flouride trays to use everyday. As if dealing w/cancer was not enough, lets get the toxins from the flouride thrown in the mix! Years ago I read a book from Kevin Trudeau "What the Drug Co. Doesn't Want You To Know About" Bottom line..if it's good or bad for you, that doesn't really matter as long as $$$$$ is to be made. On the flip side, if it wasn't for all the meds my Dad was taking, we would have lost him years earlier. I don't want to start any war here about perscription drugs! Modern medicine is what got me thru TX ! But thank Goddness with the World Wide Web, we have all kinds of info @ our fingertips! We need to do our homework, and like anything else there is always good & bad. Now that that is behind you (& out of you) may your day be beautiful!

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

*** Admin update --- Dianne has passed away on August 25, 2015 ***
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Diane and others,

I began using my daily fluoride trays 1 month pre radiation and used them throughout Tx except for a few horrible days and have used them every night since and I'm coming up on 4 years and I have never thrown up because of this use. IMO the benefits of a oral radiation patient using the daily fluoride trays FAR FAR FAR out weights the concerns you raise.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I do not have the trays. I have the toothpaste that you can not rinse out, but you have to spit out any excess stuff.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN
Baby girl born 11-30-12
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I have been using the flouride trays every day, but I am very careful to spit it out when I am finished. I trust my dentist, and I would like to keep my teeth!

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.

I hope you keep those pearly whites as life is bad without them. 2 1/2 years without and no dentures allowed. Damn that is fun.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Ah, I don't want to start a war but.... Famous last words.
Although I don't think flouride trays are going to inspire quite the same passion as PEGs. I confess to an age bias as I loved the 1964 cold war black comedy spoof movie Dr. Stangelove. (plot below for younger posters)
[quote]US Air Force General Jack D. Ripper plans to start a nuclear war with the Soviet Union to stop what he believes to be a fearful Communist conspiracy to put fluoride in the water supply, by his reasoning, thereby threatening the "precious bodily fluids" of the American people.[/quote]
The toxicity of flouride is beyond question, but then so is the toxicity of the radiation most of us owe our lives to.
The amount in a tooth tray from a flouride gel does not pose any real danger, IMO. Of course, I trust my prothodontist, who has been able to keep all my teeth intact.
Tooth decay is a proven risk after radiation and flouride applications reduce that risk substantially.
I agree wholeheartedly with the subject line advice of this thread: Don't swallow liquid flouride rinse at dentist. I would expand it to say: Don't swallow your flouride gel from your tooth trays either. It's supposed to be a topical application not an internal one. Just like you would never eat or swallow antibiotic cream instead of taking an antibiotic pill
Here is a pretty universal summary of why and how to use your flouride trays
[quote] Fluoride Tray Method: Head and neck radiation patients are at a lifelong risk for tooth decay due to the reduction in their saliva and an increase in decay causing bacteria. Fortunately, using fluoride once a day can prevent this rampant decay. It will be necessary to not only use the fluoride trays during treatment but also for the rest of your life. You will need to have individualized custom made trays made by your dentist for your mouth. Your dentist will prescribe a fluoride gel, such as 0.4% stannous fluoride gel or a 1.1% neutral sodium fluoride gel preferably unflavored.

First floss and brush your teeth. Rinse and dry your fluoride trays and place a thin ribbon of fluoride gel covering the bottom of the trays. Dry your teeth with gauze or a soft cloth. Insert the trays and bite down holding the trays between your teeth for 5-10 minutes. The fluoride gel must cover the gumline as that is where you will be susceptible to decay. Many patients do this while showering or bathing to save time. After 5-10 minutes, remove the trays and spit out the fluoride.

Do not swallow the fluoride or rinse the fluoride out with water. You may wipe off the excess fluoride with a dry cloth or gauze. Do not eat or drink anything for 30 minutes. Always clean the trays after the fluoride treatment and put them in a clean container. [/quote]
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 05-29-2010 06:11 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Is there flouride in drinking water in the US?? More than two thirds of Australia's population receive flouridated drinking water.

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery

Karen

Yes, the majority of large American cities use flouride and the figures I've seen indicate about 62 percent of all US population has flouride in their water. There are web sites out there that would do Jack D. Ripper proud but most metropolitan areas do put flouride into the city water.
charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Thank You for all the great info. Here I thought I was out of the woods! I did not know that the threat of loosing teeth would be a life long hazard! Well doesn't that just make my day? So instead of worring about purchasing the New Crest 3D Whitestrips..I should be more focused on trying to keep the teeth so I have something to stick the strips onto!!!

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

*** Admin update --- Dianne has passed away on August 25, 2015 ***
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37