Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#117194 05-26-2010 04:00 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I received a call from ENT and he said my scan results were clear EXCEPT for the little cyst that was in my nasal passage but in the left cheek area. Now my little white spot was behind my retromolar trigone and I can feel a little bump under the skin in the cheek area beside where the spot was located. But the ENT said the cyst was on the left cheek area but referenced a nasal passage. This is the same ENT that said I was too old for oral cancer and that HPV was a rare occurrence. I tried to ask him more question but he rushed me off the phone and said we would talk about it at my follow up appointment. He said in his clinical opionion it was a cyst and sounded put out when I referenced a biopsy. I already know that I need a new ENT. I would think because I have a white spot and now a cyst he would be a little concerned but nope. I am at rock bottom right now and kinda numb. He said the cyst was about 1 cm or so. I don't know how suspicious this is but I am just numb and waiting for what ever happens next.

n/a
sherrone #117195 05-26-2010 04:19 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Cysts are benign. White spots most of the time ( we already discussed in another thread ) most of the time are not the really dangerous things. Breath a sigh of relief. If you still want a second opinion go get one, and a biopsy if you like from someone else. But this guy, good or bad, has clearly had enough, and I warned you that if you cry wolf too may times people will stop believing in your problems being real.

If this is more than your nerves at play. If you feel like something isn't right, you can get as many opinions as you want. At some point either someone will find something, or you will believe that you are not really a cancer candidate.

But you kinda already knew that this guy didn't believe, and was out of date in his knowledge. So take your scans and head somewhere else. Getting in before the weekend is going to be tough. But do this with a dose of calm....

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
sherrone #117196 05-26-2010 04:21 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

If I were you I would get a copy of the CT report and head to another doctor asap. You can get a copy of the report from where you had your Scan, no need to get it from your ENT. I certainly wouldn't sit on it the holiday weekend is coming up see someone else you are entitled to as many opinions you want.

I went to 4 doctors before someone did something.

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

ConnieFL #117199 05-26-2010 04:36 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for your response. Brian I didn't know that fearing for my life was playing wolf. I get what you are saying but this is the same guy that looked at my white spot and stated, " it looks benign." I'm just nervous because I didn't know a person could tell a cyst from a tumor on a CT scan. I don't know very much at all and my fear is obviously getting on people's nerves. I've only had the one encounter with this guy so how have I played wolf with him. I wasn't freaking out on the phone with him. I just simply wanted to know what the cyst. I have you posting to remain calm and a cyt is just a cyst. I have the next poster telling me to run to another office asap. I'm just at a loss as to how to act and where to go. I feel that I have worn out my welcome here and will just try to deal with this myself. A white spot and a cyst?! I don't know how common maxillary sinus/nasal cysts are....

n/a
sherrone #117200 05-26-2010 04:44 PM

Basically what I'm saying if you aren't satisfied with what he told you get another opinion. I'm going by what I went through the last Doctor helped me.

Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

ConnieFL #117201 05-26-2010 04:51 PM
OP Offline

Thank you Connie for your response and advice.

n/a
sherrone #117212 05-26-2010 07:35 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I take that wolf comment back. Bottom line is that I ( only me) kinda feel like you are so emotionally stressed over all this, (judging from your tone and comments in your posts), that you really are stating things that you really don't know to be true. Like having HPV equals getting oral cancer, or the palpable emotional stress that I feel when I read your posts, which seems extreme to me, (perhaps not to others). Nasal cysts are pretty common by the way, and they are often treated and go away with steroid nasal sprays.

But I am seeming to become part of your problem, and confusing you instead of helping you. Not my intention, but perhaps it is better if I just let the others reply to you, and stay away from it. My last recommendation mirrors my first. Learn what's what. Pursue answers until you and your doctors are satisfied. Try to stay calm and don't go over the top with every little thing that comes up, especially when you are unsure what it even means. Remember we ( the board participants here - minus the docs who have identified themselves) are not doctors, we are patients, caregivers, and lay people. I will let you be now, and just watch from the sidelines, only commenting if someone gives you seriously bad ideas that I think might hurt you.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 05-26-2010 07:40 PM. Reason: typos

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Brian Hill #117215 05-27-2010 05:35 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Sherrone,

We all want to help you and believe me we all get stressed over the thought of cancer and we can all display that stress differently. I was stubborn and didn't even want to consider that I may have cancer and without my wife's type of stressing who just wouldn't let this cancer thing go away, I would most likely not be here to post so however you stress is just how you do it. I also went to 5 different docs and got 5 different Tx plans all the way from "regardless of what it (lump in my neck) is it must stay in!" to "Radical Neck Dissection, then chemo, then radiation and I give you a 60% 5 year survival chance". It wasn't until doc #4 that I was confirmed SCC so it taught me that we must be our own advocate.

Bottom line from me is try and find an outlet for your stress and keep on seeing docs until you are convinced you have found the right one. To that end I would get over to MD Anderson.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #117225 05-27-2010 08:01 AM
OP Offline

Thanks Brian and David. I apologize Brian and really hope you won't stop helping me. I understand what you are saying and I know I have to calm down. I went and picked up my CT report today. I haven't looked at the film but did read the report. The only things thatI noticed that were different were, A.) Visualized osseous structures demonstrate mild degenerative changes in cervical spine B.) Mucosal retention cyst in left maxillary sinus, and C)Dental amalgam causes significant streak artifacts over the oral pharynx. Now I did have about 4 old cavities that had silver fillings until 2007 when i had them replaced with the white fillings. My current dentist says two need to be replaced again do I can kinda see the streak thing. it's just so hard because I don't have any idea what should raise a red flag. I know the people on this forum are not drs but I would like any input on these findings. I've also sent an online request for an appointment at MD Anderson and just waiting for them to call me with an appointment. I'm really just trying to take a proactive approach but I know it seems more like a hysterical approach. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

n/a
sherrone #117231 05-27-2010 09:18 AM

I feel you're on the right track. Go to MD Anderson to put your mind at peace. I don't know what any of the above means at least it doesn't say Squamous Cell Cancer.

Don't feel bad about venting and ranting I was a nut case until I met with the Doctor's at Moffitt. Then I had peace I knew I was in good hands.

My late husband had Stage 4 throat cancer 11 years ago, we had no clue about Cancer Centers. Consider yourself lucky we have Cancer Centers all over and they are very much talked about now. We stayed in Fort Myers and dealt with it all 18 months of pure hell. I beat myself up everyday thinking if we only knew about Cancer Centers, like I said, consider yourself lucky. Make the appointment and go.

Hopefully, it's nothing to worry about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912