Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#116716 05-14-2010 12:21 PM
OP Offline

My wife was diagnosed with Oral cancer Dec 2007, A loonie size hole was left on her upper palate. went through Chemo 3 sessions of 6hrs and then Radiation 33 times. She was taking also some needles in her belly, I don't remember how long. I believe the Cancer was stage 4. My wife Lynda doesn't want to be here because she won't hear any negative aspects of the disease. It's then my responsibility to look for the positive and share with you and Lynda what is appropriate. Lynda is cancer free and all looks good. She still smokes and drinks a little but she is trying. I do bitch about it from time to time. I am no example, I have smoked outside to help her stop but she still smokes. She has had physical therapy with a dive called therabite to help her open her mouth. Therapy has stopped because the therapist only has on of these devices and thought Lynda was at her peak opening of 30mm without her teeth in. We cannot afford to buy this device and had hoped someone who no longer needs theirs could give it to us. I have posted on Craigs list and Kijhiji with no avail. She uses Popsicle stick now and then, But they hurt her tongue so much she wouldn't eat anything. She really cannot chew anything and finds it difficult to swallow. She has mostly oatmeal and a lot of Boost. Mashed potatoes and turnip with gravy, an inch or two of chicken that's about it besides a soup now and then. She has white sores on her tongue often and they make it impossible to put anything in her mouth. We have tried oral b anbesol and they don't really work. Even eating ground beef she can't seem to chew and move it around in her mouth. Whatever she does eat must be taken with water for her to swallow it down. We have another check up this week with her doctor and I'm wondering what kind of questions I should ask. For one Lynda wants to know if she could have an operation to make her mouth bigger so she can eat properly? And about the sores on her tongue, What can we do for the pain?
I am looking forward to all who would like to respond to this letter.

markmartin1

Mark Martin1 #116724 05-14-2010 01:48 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Mark,

Nothing you have described in your letter is new to us here on this board. This is a place where patients and caregivers of this disease can come and have very frank discussions about how we deal with all aspects of oral cancer.

Tell your wife that we are not here to be negative, just to help each other. We all hate this disease, but have no other choice but to deal with it.

There are a few here that have dealt with the Therabite device and may know how to get one.

By the way, I smoked two packs a day for over twenty years and quit after diagnosis. You will get a good deal of folks here who will want you and her to quit the smoking.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR
Kelly211 #116729 05-14-2010 02:59 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I have lived for 3 years eating patmeal, and very watery foods and the requiew water to go down. A 2inch piece of chicken woult ne like a bamquet. She'll do fine eating this way. I think my days of food are over and I'm not allowed to get any dentures because of a nasty mouth that can't even move anything around. It's good that she has a good caregiver in you. Make her quit those smokes for sure and I have no idea about the booze.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #116733 05-14-2010 03:14 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

As broke as I am...you couldn't pay me to EVER have another cig. And IF I ever even think about it, all I have to do is look at my Mask again! I hope & pray you both quit! I'm sorry for all the side affects your wife is having, so long after TX. It gets real boring when you can't eat all the stuff you once enjoyed. The TV commercials (about food) sure don't help! The Red Lobster com. just about does me in every time! I can understand your wife's fear..to much info is not good. But, maybe some of the stories would make you (both) stop smoking. What does your medical team think of her situation? Is she still loosing wieght & strength? Take advatage of the drinks avail. (Boost, Ensure etc.)

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

*** Admin update --- Dianne has passed away on August 25, 2015 ***
Dianne MH #116745 05-14-2010 09:03 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Mark, welcome to OCF.

Let me try to answer some of your questions. Your wife's limited mouth opening is called trismus. There isnt an operation to change this. She must work it at least once daily with the popsicle sticks or she will get worse. She should also be stretching her mouth open as wide as possible and holding it several seconds, repeating it several times per day. There is no easy way around trismus. The popsicle sticks will do the same job and the therabite. She should be putting the popsicle sticks on each side of her mouth and sliding more sticks between them. This way it wont bother her tongue. A 30mm opening is pretty good, I had been at 10 and got up to 14. She needs to work hard at this to see improvements.

For pain, ask the doc. There are several things out there. If she finished tx in 2007, how severe is her current pain levels?

As far as the smoking goes. If she doesnt quit, she faces a much higher chance of recurrance. This is something that I cant understand, how someone who has endured OC and its brutal treatments continues to tempt fate. This is probably the real reason she has you doing the screening and filtering of the negative things. I was a smoker and quit upon my diagnosis, threw the cigs right out the window and never smoked again. This is something she must also bring up to the doc and ask for help with. There are several products on the market like Chatix (or something with a similar name) to help with quitting smoking.

As far as drinking goes, I dont do that either. Never was much of a drinker before. Thats something that some on here will do and some wont. Personally, I dont want anything to make my chances for a recurrance any higher. I would think that alchol would be irritating to her tender mouth tissue.

If she is able to eat chicken, she is doing pretty good with eating. Under the food tab, there are many ideas to help your wife expand her menu. So many things that she may be able to eat are listed. A balanced diet is pretty difficult when eating capabilty is compromised.

Best of luck with her continued improvements.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
ChristineB #116751 05-14-2010 09:35 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Brian Hill #116771 05-15-2010 12:26 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Check up on thrush. That may be what is making her tongue painful.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #116778 05-15-2010 08:12 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Many people say that giving up smoking was harder than kicking any other addiction(and I have heard that from alcoholics, prescription drug addicts,heroin addicts,etc).

So, while I sympathize with the urge there are so many methods out there to stop. This is one area that your wife can be proactive with her health. I really wish her luck with this.

CG to Spouse BOT, Chemo and radiation started on March 29,2010
Ended on May 14,2010. LET THE HEALING BEGIN!!!
SusanW #116845 05-17-2010 12:15 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Mark, I was sorry to read of your wife's difficulties. All the previous posts have been excellent and I hope you'll take some encouragement from them. I can only sympathize with the smoking issue, know it's a bitch to quit. My landlady, for instance, had half a lung removed 3 or 4 years ago to cancer and still smokes! Unbelievable to me, but it just proves how hard it is. I hope you avail yourselves of all the information and tools available to stop this pernicious - and life-threatening - habit.

I also must only sympathize, and I very much do, with the trismus problem. I hope she'll find some help at the link Brian posted. Please keep us posted. I also hope (man, I'm doing a lot of hoping here!) that you speak with the doctors about pain. No one should be in pain, especially when there are so many ways to attack it.

Mainly though I was gratified by the statement "Lynda is cancer free and all looks good." Congratulations to her and to you for getting through the horror. I know it's often difficult to look past the side effects and the pain, but we all have to try.

Please keep us posted on her progress.

Courage!
David2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Mark Martin1 #117343 05-31-2010 09:33 AM
OP Offline

Thank you all for replying to my intro. Very much appreciated. My wife read these post and has now quit smoking. However we are still having problems getting a therabite for less than 100. free even better. Went to the doc's today, all is well. Though he won't prescribe any meds for tongue pain. Seems like all doctors are afraid of prescribing narcotics!

Mark Martin 1

Mark Martin1 #119346 07-13-2010 11:11 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Pain management is a real issue. If her current doctor is not willing to help then please find another doctor. Talk to the doc, keep them informed and best of luck to you both.
mark

11/1999 SCC tongue - surgery
1/2000 Met(s) in lymph nodes - modRND
2/2000-4/2000 RT ~6 weeks
end of 2006 SCC tongue - surgery
1/2008 SCC BOT - surgery / PEG installed
2/2008 chemo & RT
4/2008 last time I consumed solid food by mouth
Mark Martin1 #119636 07-22-2010 10:01 PM
OP Offline

Thank you all for your support and I wish that all of you the very best.

I don't know what happened to some of my posts. I cannot find it. I was writing to a very nice lady whom her mother's cancer came back and she was real busy helping her as much as she could. She wanted to mail me a Therabite machine since her mom did not need it anymore. I gave her my address in a post and she said she would send it to me but nothing happened. I am not sure if giving addresses in posts are allowed and was deleted or what. I don't know what to think. We really cannot afford one and I'm not really a person that ask for anything. I hope somehow she or someone out there reads this and can help. She is using pop sickle sticks but they hurt her gums. She will be cancer free for two years in September and we thank God for that! She still has some problems eating and chewing but I am grateful still she is maintaining her weight. I'm just hoping she passes the so called 5 year period. If I am asking for something I shouldn't please forgive me and let me know. I just want to help my wife as much as I can even if I am too proud to ask.

Mark Martin1 #119639 07-22-2010 10:22 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

You can put an address in your post, but we don't recommend it and would not delete a post for that reason. It does make you vulnerable to getting spam, which is why we ask people to exchange addresses, phone numbers and the like via a PM on the board, which is private between the two of you or by email with each other.

You haven't done anything wrong that I can see. As to finding your old posts, you can look under your name and see that you have posted 3 times. If you click on the link at the top of the page when you are signed in that says "my stuff" you can view all your posts there going back for years even.

Asking for help when you need is should not be considered by anyone as a sign of weakness, or anything to be ashamed of. There is no one that gets through this alone, and some have a harder time of it than others. If you do not ask for help (or things) when you need it, no one that might wish to reach out to help will know that you need it.

http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=userposts&id=5298

Last edited by Brian Hill; 07-22-2010 10:23 PM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Brian Hill #119643 07-23-2010 12:09 AM
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Brian already mentions it Mark so click on My Stuff at the top.
Sounds like it may have been a personal message and this is where you would find it. It would be the only place I would give an address as it is between you and the other participant only.

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users