Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

HI MY NAME IS CATHY, I LIVE OFF BABY FOOD AND
HAVE FOR A LONG TIME SINCE MY CANCER IN 1990.
I'M CANCER FREE BUT CAN'T SWALLOW SOLIDS SO
BABY FOOD IT IS FOR ME AND MASHED POTATOES, SWEET
POTATOES IN THIS I PUT BROWN SUGER AND CINAMON AND
IT TASTES LIKE SWWET POTATOE PIE. I EAT EGGS TOO
AND LOTS OF ICE CREAM. HOPE THIS HELPS.
CATHY

Cathy
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

For those who are trying to gain weight-whether you are eating via a tube or mouth- we have found a product that is helping John that I'd like to share. It is made by Naturade.[www.Naturade.com] The suppliment we use is called Weight Gain-Instant nutrition mix- 32 oz milk + 4 scoops powder adds 1500 cals. a day- It is a powdered suppliment that when mixed with whole milk can add good calories and protein to your diet. You can also mix the powder with icecream, yogurt, etc. We mix it up in the am and John uses it during the day. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

The Naturade weight gain is good stuff and it has lots of different amino acids in it, too. Other stuff I've tried:
Prosure- not bad, 300 calories + protein
Nutren- 1.0, 1.5, 2.0- tolerable, barely
Suplimed- Nasty, medicinal. Couldn't handle it, wasted $$
Naturade also makes a protein supplement powder-nasty, not tolerable, more wasted $$

dx 2/13/06. modified radical neck dissection 3/9/06 multiple biopsies of upper airway and direct laryngoscopy. 1 of 47 lymph nodes positive for metastatic undifferentiated carcinoma (lymphoepithelioma). Unknown primary. Finished radiation 5/24/06.

thanks for the Naturade link--I'm still trying to figure out how to swallow enough to get off the tube. I think that could help.

Nelie

p.s. Does anyone know of something that could be mixed with water to make something smooth and nutritional enough to work as tube food for a few days? I'd like to think if I have to stay on the tube I could eventually go backpacking, for example, without having to carry several cans of stuff around for every day (Heavy!) Likewise for traveling on business trips.....

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
JAM Offline

Nelie, I would think you could find some dehydrated food products in packages, but I'd bet that the calories will be low. Instant oatmeal, powdered milk, Lipton's dried chicken noodle soup, instant rice, instant potatoes could all be put in small zip lock bags and cooked with water over a campfire or in a microwave. Not much help, I know. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

We've been using a good cookbook, "The-I-Can't Chew Cookbook" - by J. Randy Wilson. This could be more useful later on in your process, but want to toss this suggestion out to you.

Best,
Anita

Husband Dx 12/02 Stage 4 Tonsil Cancer T1N2bM0; surgery, radiation, chemo 1/03 - 4/03.

Well, it's going to be a while before I recover the stamina to think about backpacking for a couple of days anyway. It's just a long term goal. I can barely get through a normal day at work without collpasing from exhuastion when I get home. My fall semester has just started up and I have to pack up everything in my office for a move--after two hours of packing boxes today, I was physically wiped out. All that esophagus surgery, the collapsed lung and subseuqent chest tube for a week and further surgery to insert the stent earlier this summer really took it out of me (and there's more to come--blech).

I think I'm thinking about hiking because I need the positive goal at this point to keep me going!

Nelie

p.s. I get those pill grinders from Walmart you mentioned in some othyer topic (can't find it now). Do you find they eventually seem to grind less well over time? Almost like the plastic has worn down at the grinding spot? Also I had one get totally jammed once when I was trying to grind a big multivitamin pill in it so now I always have a backup........

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

Hey Amy, This is the right naturade stuff right?

http://www.naturade.com/products/de...ry=Sports+Nutrition&Flavor=Chocolate

If anyone else has recipes or suggestions for packing max calories and protein into minimum liquid (and something that doesn't taste too bad), other than that high calorie shake recipe everyone passes around here with the ice cream in it, I would very much like to read them. Not only am I going to need to drink stuff like that to get enough calories in if I'm not on the tube, but I have a friend who has a husband with MS who is having swallowing difficulty right now and she doesn't want to put him on a G tube unless it's really necessary. I passed on the shake recipe and naturade recommendation to her but maybe there are others?

Nelie

Nellie,

I haved loved backpacking in the mountains of SW Colo over the years. The side effects of my recent tongue ca have left me on a liquid diet. I can swallow but tongue doesn�t work well and no saliva. I�ve also been trying to figure out how I could get enough calories for a decent hike. My current staple is the Ensure Plus rich dark chocolate. 2 probs., weight,( over 3.5 lbs for 2100 calories and 78 grms of protein plus I�d need probably oanother 3 or 4 lbs of water.) and it only tastes decent real cold. Now with a G tube your actually better off: the SkandiShake powder envelopes have 600 calories and only weigh 85 grams but no protein; so you could get some whey powder protein from walmart wich also weighs nothing. The catch is these things don�t make a true solution � more of a suspension of tiny particles. So you need to test this out with the plunger on your G- Tube. By mouth they only taste decent mixed with milk, but w/ tube you could do it with water.

age 53 TxN2bM0 stage IV tongue and 2 nodes, non smoker, non-drinker, heavy plastic wrap exposure 25+ years, 2 surgeries, neck dissection, 60 GY IMRT+ cisplatin X5 completed 07/09, new primary on tongue 11/09, biopsy got it all, praise God! Tongue overly tethered to floor of mouth.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users