Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder that Davidcpa (David Hastings) is hosting his first oral cancer screening on Saturday May 8th in his hometown of Gulfport, Florida. If you live in the area come and support him and represent the OCF!

Check event site for more details!

Good Luck David!!

Susan

Susan Lauria - OCF Director of Events - Always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about early detection! Contact me if you can help!

*Brother passed away from tongue cancer in 2006 at age 47, was co-caregiver, he was non-smoker/casual drinker

LETS MAKE ORAL CANCER HISTORY!
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Have a great day on Saturday David. Hope that lot's of people will be able to attend. Unfortunately it's a little far for me wink

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Geez Gabe I thought I could count on you!

Walgreens has already changed their electronic billboard to read:

FREE ORAL CANCER
SCREENING
SAT 10 TO 2

I estimate that I have gotten 90% of the local businesses to put a poster we made up in their store front window. I also have made a list of the ones that didn't! I mean what possible excuse could one have for NOT displaying a city sponsored free cancer screening??? Please please help me understand that one!

We have our Art Walk tonight which is kinda like a mini mardi gras for the Art & Waterfront District. Jerry attended one but it was freezing (for us anyway). Shame he didn't get to experience one when the weather is normal. Anyway we will be out in force handing out mini fliers and talking it up.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Hey David,

Your definition of freezing is far from mine. Sking at 10 below is freezing.

Trying to explain the lack of cooperation with signs is like trying to explain how the Rays can do so poorly one year and so well the next.

I want to wish you good luck and I too wish I were closer in order to be a part of what I am sure will be a very successful event.

You rock, my friend.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

David,

Wishing you success on your screening event tomorrow. I look forward to reading all about here.

Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Good luck with your event today. Im sure its going to be very successful.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Well I was up at 5am to get the restaurant crew out to the Saturday Morning Market and met the City crew at 7 to begin the set up. I moved those damn tents 4 different times to get the right configuration!! Anyway by 9 am we had our first sign in and by 10 when I opened the gates so to speak we had 35 seated and patiently waiting. We were telling people at this time that with 3 dentists we ESTIMATED the wait time to be 30 mins. WRONG!!! it was more like an hour plus! We kept a full "wait seating" the entire time and we even told people they could wait in Walgreens and we had someone there who we would call and they had access to Walgreens in store intercom. We eventually even let people put their cell # down and we called them when they were close. It was just sooo muggy and I only had around 35 seats under tent.

Temps were in the high 80's and the humidity was bad to say the least. By 10:30 my Dr Thee's shirt was soaked. Everybody kept their thankful spirits. I made jokes all day, made them applaud the dentists and we even had a lady waiting sing songs to keep everyone in good spirits. Only in Gulfport.

I made notes of improvements for next year.

The Regional Manager of Walgreens was on hand. Walgreens was GREAT. They set up their own tent and gave away ice cold water and a Walgreens "green" shopping bag filled with stuff. They also called in a Pepsi cart that sold hot dogs, drinks and chips for a dollar each with all the proceeds to come to the OCF (my suggestion). Brian don't expect much because I didn't see many people buying since they all wanted clean teeth!!

RE the Regional Manager. He approached me towards the end and was so impressed with the public's interest that he told me next year that he would bring in one of their 14 nationwide diagnostic trucks that perform 8 different free diagnostic tests including blood pressure, cholesterol, bone density, etc and we would make a much larger event out of this thing. We agreed on April next year (after the 15th for sure) and exchanged cards.

Only bad thing was I didn't think through that 10 to 2 thing well enough. By 1 my dentists were pooped and looking forward to stopping at exactly 2 but we already had a waiting line that would possibility take them past 2 so I had to make a decision to stop allowing people to sign up. Therefore not only did we have to turn away at least 30 people we had to explain that 10 to 2 meant 10 to 2 to the dentists not the public. Only one couple who showed up at 1:50 pm and said they traveled 80 miles one way complained but they more than made up for all the ones that didn't complain!! They made a scene so much so that someone who had waited over an hour gave the husband her spot. Made me mad but in the end all the dentists stayed overtime to handle everyone on the list including the lady that gave up her spot.

At the end we screened an incredible 158 and 9 were given referrals. That meant, on average, each dentist saw a patient every 4.6 minutes!! Two took a small lunch break with food provided by the world famous Habana Cafe, of course, and my Dr Thee worked straight thru and took his lunch home.

I would like the OCF to send each of my vols a letter and I also plan to get the City to do the same.

I can't wait till next year!!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Congratulations on a successful event! Every year turnout will get bigger as more people hear of it, and you'll figure out what works and what doesn't. Plus, looks like Walgreens was impressed with your effort. It's wonderful that you'll have their sponsorship. That will take you a long way. Nice job, David!

Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Great Job! and as you can see, a lot of work. So next year you need 6+ doctors...... run it longer, and have the doctors come and go in shifts. Call the office on Monday and talk with Megan and give her your list of volunteers, we'l get letters out to them right away.

We don't routinely get donations at our screening events as they are mostly in underprivileged areas, though now that you mention it, we could put a donation box out and see what happen. And of course if you are going to give something away, and feed them, you do that AFTER the screening. Chunks of hot dogs between their teeth won't matter then!!

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I put the donation envelopes out on a table along with the brochures, my cards and pins. I mentioned it a few times to my waiting captive audience and I did get one donation. I haven't looked inside to see how much yet but I could have paid more attention to that aspect.

Yeah I've already decided on more dentists and shifts and a longer time and advertising a stop time 1 hour less than what I tell the dentists. I also didn't need as many vols even as busy as we were. My dentist, Dr Thee has even offered his office next year but I still like the visability of Walgreens and there is no way we could handle the parking at his office. Walgreens entire lot was full all day and cars were parking along the side streets. Now if I can just get Walgreens to spring for a large air conditioned tent!! Never say never, lol.

David

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users