Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi everyone! I am looking for info on what to look for as far as any dental issues (like I'm worried of ever loosing any of my teeth) I'm almost 2 years post TX & my 2 front teeth are a little transparent on the very bottom. One tooth is chipped a tiny bit (from opening a Bobby Pin) 2 teeth on the left have a brown area around the gum line. The R side of my tongue has a white patch (acid type foods cause irritation) I have not been to the dentist post TX for stupid reasons: I am so embarrassed for anyone to see inside my mouth, no dental coverage, I'm affraid of what treatment is in store for my issues. I thought of going to a place like "Q Dental" but I don't want to have new people look at my mouth every time I go. I spend $ on stupid things all the time, I know a dental check up is needed!

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

*** Admin update --- Dianne has passed away on August 25, 2015 ***
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

All of the things that you describe about what is wrong with your teeth are more than likely not related to your radiation.

1. The transparency is related to wearing of the biting edge of the teeth that unfortunately occurs in many people as we age. Bonding can replace the missing tooth structure and make the teeth stronger. However, bonding is not forever and just like the teeth can wear, so can the bonding.

2. The chipped tooth can be fixed with bonding also. Bobby pins, bottle caps etc. can be pretty destructive.

3. The brown areas are probably decay, but could be simply staining or possibly tarter, or exposed cementum, the outer root surface showing - if this is at the gum line.

4. The white patch, of course, is a concern and you really need to get this checked out yesterday.

Dentists are used to seeing the problems you have on a daily basis and you should have no concerns about being embarrassed and I would stay away from "Q Dental" whatever that is. It sounds like one of those clinics...no, no, no. Try to find a dentist that treats post oral cancer patients.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
OP Offline

Wow Jerry, Thank you! I will take your advice & it is an honor to have you come to my aid! "Q Dental" is a clinic. If you say "NO, then "no" it is ! I knew in my gut that was a bad idea and should go to a qualified dentist. Thanks again! Dianne

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

For clarification purposes, most of the dental clinics have dentists that are biding their time until they can find a private office to buy, find a location to start their own practice, etc.. That doesn't mean that they are not good dentists, it just means that you probably would not have the same one for any continuity of treatment.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

OP Offline

Hi Jerry, When I was @ the "Spring Fling Tasting" to night, as luck would have it, a woman was there I met before & she mentioned her dentist has several "post cancer" patients & is very familiar with all the dental issues that can occur post TX. So, I am going to give him a call tomorrow. Also, the white patch on the side of my tongue (same side as my tumor was) has already had a biopsy (came back neg) & my rad. dr. calls the patch an "ulcer" I keep an eye on the size of it. Thanks again for your advice!

Jerry is the Dentist I would put my trust in. He is part of our family and has or is going thru what we all are. Jerry has 1st hand knowledge of our problems and good advice when we need it. And one more thing, he sure knows how to make me smile. Thanks Jerry.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Dianne...glad you were lucky to stumble upon that dentist. I would surely question him about this"ulcer". An ulcer should not hang around for a long time.

Coming from someone with a great sense of humor like you, Jim, I am flattered by your compliments

Jerry

Hi Jerry the Dentist......

DO you know much about Osteoradionecrosis? Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated. I posted my story on "After Treatment Issues" in case you want a little history. Thanks again.

Donna
Stage IV SSC tongue
hemmiglossectomy/radical neck/free flap
peg tube
cisplatin/5fu
a shit ton of radiation.
17 yr cancer survivor and nobody thought I'd live 5 yrs.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Jerry,
Do you know of any dentists experienced with post oral cancer patients that practice near Eastern Virginia Medical School? Or do you know how I can find some? I don't have much confidence in my regular dentist. He has been in practice for over 30 years, but I am his first, and one and only, oral cancer patient.
eek

Nine years out. New normal with limitations, but surviving and living life to the fullest.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users