Elianne Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Hi,
My husband has pre-diabetes (not yet type II)and we
can't give him anything that has a lot of sugar in it.
I know there is a diabetic Boost and Glucerna has been recommended by
his family doctor, but the regular instant breakfast mixes are out because of the high sugar content. Does anyone know of a diabetic instant breakfast? Are there any other food supplements of this type that work for pre-diabetes/type II that you know of?
Many thanks,
Anne

Anne - CG to Gordon (59), non-smoker/non-drinker. SCC, BOT, HPV 16+, stage 3. Jan./10 - radical neck dissection to remove 48 lymph nodes, 1 node pos. Apr. 23/10 - finished 35 rad. and 3 cisplatin. Jul. 22/10 - PET scan clear.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Anne --

If you don't get answers here, you might try registering at one of the many forums for diabetes (which includes pre-diabetes) and ask there.

Here are a few:
http://connect.diabetes.org/forums/ (American Diabetes Assn.)

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes-forum/

http://www.diabetesforums.com/

http://www.diabetesforum.com/

Or perhaps you could just puree whatever his normal breakfast is.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Elianne Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Aha!
In partial answer to my own question -
there is a "Carnation Instant Breakfast No Sugar Added" product.
Some have posted that it doesn't raise their blood sugar, so
it might just work.
Not sure if it's available in Canada, the U.S. or both.
Will check and post.
Thanks to Leslie for the links.
Anne

Anne - CG to Gordon (59), non-smoker/non-drinker. SCC, BOT, HPV 16+, stage 3. Jan./10 - radical neck dissection to remove 48 lymph nodes, 1 node pos. Apr. 23/10 - finished 35 rad. and 3 cisplatin. Jul. 22/10 - PET scan clear.

Anne

Y'all need to watch Gordon's sugar levels closely during treatments, not so much for higher levels, but just the opposite. I was still on my Metformin for about the first 4 weeks of radiation treatments and started having trouble with my blood sugar bottoming out and even passing out a couple of times.

Side Note: About 6 weeks post, I was craving and eating chocolate chip cookies like crazy, with no adverse effects on my sugar levels.

Kevin

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking

Consider weight loss after during treatments... A lot of pre and type II diabetes can be relaated to weight. After losing 100+ lbs after 2 surgeries and 33 radiation treatments I cannot get a high reading of blood sugar 30 minutes after any meal I eat.

Age 52, T2 N0 M0 SCC of left anterior floor of mouth. Esophagoscopy, Direct laryngoscopy, Resection of left anterior FOM lesion w/ lateral tongue. left selective neck dissection levels I-IV. 5x6cm skin graft coverng excision. Finished 33-35 rad Tx. False recurrence 12-22-10 last surgery 2-15-10

Kevin is right. I was taking full doses of all my meds as my weight dropped. Also, fluids got low. I kept complaining about feeling bad. I felt like I was failing all over. I had strong desires to leave my skin. Over Labor Day weekend I started halucinating while driving 60 miles home. I ended up with a wreckless driving ticket while thinking I needed to get to NC to pick up some tuna. shocked
I also had a spell where I thought I needed to pick up a work crew and could not find them. Eventually I was stopped doing 70 in a 35 mile zone.
At this point I told the cop about radiation treatments and that I needed help and he told me to pull off the road and rest... That was it.

Point being, I reported my meds every week to docs and when I complained about feeling bad everyone sang the same song: You are supposed to feel bad!

Last edited by hisnibs; 05-07-2010 04:33 PM.

Age 52, T2 N0 M0 SCC of left anterior floor of mouth. Esophagoscopy, Direct laryngoscopy, Resection of left anterior FOM lesion w/ lateral tongue. left selective neck dissection levels I-IV. 5x6cm skin graft coverng excision. Finished 33-35 rad Tx. False recurrence 12-22-10 last surgery 2-15-10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23